Why do you love statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
Why do you love statues? A simple question. Like to hear your answer though. I don't mean to stir up any controversy with this question.

I know mine. They are just such beautiful works of art. Also it's so cool that you get to see characters you love come to life! Sweetness.

Last edited:
Because it is awesome how they hold the same pose... forever.... and when you get sick of it, it will still hold the same pose... forever...

I also love how they take up space. That is awesome too.

Because it is awesome how they hold the same pose... forever.... and when you get sick of it, You suddenly wish you forked out the extra $20 for the exclusive switch out hand

I also love how they take up space. That is awesome too.

Edited for accuracy.

because they don't have ugly ass joint seams and my favorite characters best representations are in statue form. Add size, detail and presence to that as well.

i dont own any.... I prefer articulation.... But the sideshow streetfighter pieces look cool... Reminds me of all that money i use too spend at the arcade playing it lol.

i dont own any.... I prefer articulation.... But the sideshow streetfighter pieces look cool... Reminds me of all that money i use too spend at the arcade playing it lol.

You mean the Pop Culture Shock ones? Yeah, they look awesome.

They don't have as many quality issues like Hot Toys.
I also don't have to pose them.

Mainly presence, and in my personal collection (Raiders PF, TOD PF, Jedi Luke PF) they are the best likenesses of the respective characters out there, imo.

I like statues better for a few reasons.

1) 1/4 size. No matter how good something is, the 1/6 scale still looks like a child's toy to me....which is appropriate I guess since that's where that scale originally comes from. (not saying HT's are now)

The 1/4 scale is so much more significant as a show piece and fits in to rooms like other display pieces (vases, paintings, etc)

2) I don't have the need to repose constantly. Honestly, I don't know how many people do really. Sure its nice when you first get a 1/6 figure and you might do a few poses in the first week ....how many times after the first month? The second? For most its close to zero.

One of the more bizarre things I see here is people that like the articulation but would never pose anything (or even take it out of the box) due to fear of deteriorating.

3) The sculpting of the human body is important to me.
I'm a long time martial artist and was a personal trainer for a while as well.

Joints ruin collectibles for me. I want the body to look natural.

Fully clothed its not so bad, but even so the body underneath the clothes is set facing forward and so never looks quite right posed any other way.

The new Terminator statue is a good example of a clothed statue. You can see the lat flare holding the arm up and the neck muscles contract as he turns his head.

And when it comes to shirtless, well there is no comparison. My 2 Bruce Lee's, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Conan would just look like toys with big ugly joints every few inches.

EDIT: Also, the holding of accessories. This ALWAYS looks cheesy to me and like a toy because the hands never quite grip anything correctly due to the need to be able to change hands and accessories. With the statues, the hand and its grip is sculpted to the piece and the figure looks like they are really holding their gun/sword/whatever.

4) Also polystone looks so much nicer than the 1/6 plastic generally used ....though saying that the 2 HD 1/4 Enterbay Lee statues I have look very nice in whatever they are made of.

And this could change because its more tradition than anything, but I love the giant detailed bases that Sideshow PF's generally come with. Its not really part of Hot Toys 1/6 offerings for some reason.

5) This one is only coming about recently but the 1/4 statues are looking better and better in terms of value for money as 1/6 figures continue to skyrocket while SS PF's stay relatively the same.

And somehow Enterbay lead the way here!?! Expensive 1/6 figures ....but their HD Bruce Lee statues in 1/4 scale are under $200.

I'm hoping this isn't going to change with the introduction of their HD T-800 which is articulated. Although that is great looking, I hope EB continue to release their HD statues as well.

Last edited:
I like statues better for a few reasons.

1) 1/4 size. No matter how good something is, the 1/6 scale still looks like a child's toy to me....which is appropriate I guess since that's where that scale originally comes from. (not saying HT's are now)

The 1/4 scale is so much more significant as a show piece and fits in to rooms like other display pieces (vases, paintings, etc)

2) I don't have the need to repose constantly. Honestly, I don't know how many people do really. Sure its nice when you first get a 1/6 figure and you might do a few poses in the first week ....how many times after the first month? The second? For most its close to zero.

One of the more bizarre things I see here is people that like the articulation but would never pose anything (or even take it out of the box) due to fear of deteriorating.

3) The sculpting of the human body is important to me.
I'm a long time martial artist and was a personal trainer for a while as well.

Joints ruin collectibles for me. I want the body to look natural.

Fully clothed its not so bad, but even so the body underneath the clothes is set facing forward and so never looks quite right posed any other way.

The new Terminator statue is a good example of a clothed statue. You can see the lat flare holding the arm up and the neck muscles contract as he turns his head.

And when it comes to shirtless, well there is no comparison. My 2 Bruce Lee's, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Conan would just look like toys with big ugly joints every few inches.

4) Also polystone looks so much nicer than the 1/6 plastic generally used ....though saying that the 2 HD 1/4 Enterbay Lee statues I have look very nice in whatever they are made of.

And this could change because its more tradition than anything, but I love the giant detailed bases that Sideshow PF's generally come with. Its not really part of Hot Toys 1/6 offerings for some reason.

5) This one is only coming about recently but the 1/4 statues are looking better and better in terms of value for money as 1/6 figures continue to skyrocket while SS PF's stay relatively the same.

And somehow Enterbay lead the way here!?! Expensive 1/6 figures ....but their HD Bruce Lee statues in 1/4 scale are under $200.

I'm hoping this isn't going to change with the introduction of their HD T-800 which is articulated. Although that is great looking, I hope EB continue to release their HD statues as well.

100X agree!! :goodpost:

Articulation is not for me!

Im more into weight lifting then posing and trying to put things with thousand little pieces in the box!

:wave

Mainly presence, and in my personal collection (Raiders PF, TOD PF, Jedi Luke PF) they are the best likenesses of the respective characters out there, imo.

Yes exactly, presence. Also the size is a main attraction brings out the WOW factor. I don't JUST exclusively collect statues. I believe a great collection is diverse with all kind of scales like 1:6 figures, PF/Maquette, Dioramas, Life-Size for example but not all over the place is not what I mean. Sticking with one type of scale is boring and makes your collection monotone and less outstanding.

They have more presence and look like works of art instead of "dolls". I have no problem with a statue staying in the same pose as long as its the perfect pose for the particular character.

Before I started to collect statues (from Sideshow), I used to collect a variety statues based on certain comic book characters back in the day when I used to actively collect & read comic books.

Statues offer something different (i.e. variety). Statues offers a different perspective and vision of a particular character that I like.

Granted, statues nowadays are not necessarily the same as statues I acquired from 1998 through 2002.

I can't say I "love" statue offerings from Sideshow, but I do enjoy the ones I managed to acquire thus far.

Back