Why do Sideshow take money so far in advance of shipping?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturne

Super Freak
Reaction score
Do you get this in the U.S. Twice now Sideshow have taken their money almost a month in advance of sending the product out. Am still waiting on word of when Machiko will be shipped, yet the money was taken back on the 22nd of December.

Even allowing for the christmas shut down this still takes the piss

If anyone could shed some light on this would be great, as every other company I've dealt with worldwide either takes it upfront or takes it when the items being shipped.

I have never had sideshow take money so early. It is usually the same time it is shipped.
Definitely call them.

I believe the European Union warehouse requires payment when the item actually leaves the U.S. warehouse, which can be up to 1 month or so before the item actually ships from the EU warehouse. Do you live in the European Union?

I think the reasoning behind this is that too many items were being canceled and so many credit card declines were being processed if they waited to charge until the items were actually IN the EU that the policy was adjusted so that it's charged when the item is about to leave the U.S. warehouse. Because once an item has been received into the EU warehouse, it's pretty much stuck there, due to the incredible costs of trying to ship it back into the U.S.

**That being said, if you have questions such as these, it's best to contact Sideshow's Customer Service with your Order Number and have them check into the matter, as occasionally something slips through the cracks and it's better safe than sorry :duff

That's cool, just thought I'd check the board and find out if it was a common occurance as the answer's a bit quicker. The logic on behind it is understandable. Just maybe something that could be pointed out to EU customers in the billing letter.

And I do indeed, even says so under my Av :lol

Thank you for your assistance, if I've not heard anything by the 22nd I'll contact customer support.

Just maybe something that could be pointed out to EU customers in the billing letter.
Actually, it is already mentioned in the invoice:

WHEN WILL YOUR ORDER SHIP?
Please note that if your order contains a pre-order item it will
take 10-12 business days to transfer from our U.S. to our
E.U. warehouse (customs clearance may also take an
additional 5 working days.). If you ordered an in-stock item
then your order will depart our warehouse in about 4
business days from receipt of this e-mailed invoice.
If you ordered a pre-order item, it can take up to 12 + 5 = 17 business days for the item to arrive in the EU warehouse, that's almost a month.

I don't like it either, with the drop of the $ vs € the last couple of months it would have certainly worked in my advantage if my last payments were processed a little closer to shipping date, but I understand the reasoning behind this.

And to answer your question, in my experience as a EU customer, sometimes it takes few weeks for an item to ship after payment, but that's certainly not always the case.

I appreciate the post Dusty. However it is ridiculous that there is a delay of months between US collectors getting their items and EU/non-US collectors. I still cannot fathom why SS do not ship the orders for the EU direct from China to the EU. Surely this would save on shipping. Bowen’s orders made through Diamond ship from China directly to Diamond and not first to Bowen and then Diamond. You guys really need to examine your logistics more closely.

I am still waiting tracking numbers for Ironman 1:1, Rogue and Orc Warrior all of which are fully paid up (including shipping/VAT).

I appreciate the post Dusty. However it is ridiculous that there is a delay of months between US collectors getting their items and EU/non-US collectors. I still cannot fathom why SS do not ship the orders for the EU direct from China to the EU. Surely this would save on shipping. Bowen’s orders made through Diamond ship from China directly to Diamond and not first to Bowen and then Diamond. You guys really need to examine your logistics more closely.

I am still waiting tracking numbers for Ironman 1:1, Rogue and Orc Warrior all of which are fully paid up (including shipping/VAT).

:lecture

Totally agree Bullseye!

Tomorrow will be the day when I start chasing as I haven't heard anything and it'll have been one month.

Good luck, give 'em hell from me, I am in the same boat as well (though I have been waiting over a month for my items!!!) Email after email appears to get you nowhere, you have to persavere to get answers!

Will do :D
had to wait ages and do a lot of chasing to get my AvP-R diorama from sideshow.
Thing is it's not as if the shipping is any cheaper than getting it direct from Hong Kong and it turns up so much faster that way too. Plus you occasionally avoid the VAT all together.

Paying about a month in advance is one (annoying) thing. But it's so sick that we still have to pay the duty, even if the things we've individually ordered are below $225. It might be cheaper to request all items under $225 to be shipped from the US warehouse. And who knows, perhaps even faster too.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38551

We don't pay duty (since it's shipped from inside the EU), we only pay VAT.
The new rules apply to import duty only; you still have to pay VAT.

The UK has lowered VAT from 17.5% to 15%, which Sideshow now applies.

If I, living in the Netherlands, would order a $200 package from the US, it would be free of import duty but I would still have to pay 19% VAT over price + shipping.
Besides shipping which is probably more expensive, it would cost me 4% extra VAT as well because my country has higher VAT rates than the UK.

The EU warehouse must be on extended holidays. Still no tracking number for my IM 1:1, Orc Warrior PF and Rogue. Paid for weeks ago.:banghead:banghead

Is sad really, because they make great products, but the method for dealing with overseas customers is crap!

Not like it's any cheaper than having the packages sent individually from other places in the states, yet it must be cheaper as they've got to be sent in a container.

Plus overseas never gets the free or reduced shipping the U.S. gets

Is sad really, because they make great products, but the method for dealing with overseas customers is crap!

Not like it's any cheaper than having the packages sent individually from other places in the states, yet it must be cheaper as they've got to be sent in a container.

Plus overseas never gets the free or reduced shipping the U.S. gets

:lecture:lecture Yup totally agree with all of that!

Loving the new ninja in the sig...tempted to put one in mine...would you mind if I did?

Back