Why can't you use reward points on SS free shipping items?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sideshow recently contacted me and informed me that the 89 Hot Toys Batman I pre-ordered included free shipping and I would not be able to use my rewards points I had attached to the purchase when I pre-ordered it and get the free shipping too. They said I could choose on or the other.

I understood and it was not a big deal. I choose to use my rewards points and pay for shipping. Now I tried to order another Hot Toys figure on their website and the rewards option is now gone on items that ship for free.

My problem is I only buy Hot Toys from them now and every Hot Toys item they offer seems to now have free shipping. You can still accumulate rewards points when you buy the Hot Toys figures but you can't use the rewards points on Hot Toys figures because of the free shipping, making the rewards points useless, to me anyways.

Am I missing something or is everyone experiencing the same thing?

Last edited:
I think SSC needs to loosen up on the RP/Gift Card/other promo stuff.

When RPs first came out it may have seemed like a cool idea, basically save 5% on your total purchases. Ok great, awesome. But what I quickly realized is that pretty much subsequent SSC product I buy costs 2% more :panic:

It used to take 20 products of similar cost to eventually get a free like item, right? For example, buy 20 Sixth Scale figures, get your 21st free.

Except by the time you get your 21st figure what used to be $100 when you first started that cycle a figure retails for like $150. So really, you end up needing to put in another $50 in cash plus shipping. :lol :slap

There rewards are really on par with other companies rewards IMO. They don't have to do it.

There rewards are really on par with other companies rewards IMO. They don't have to do it.

Oh, they know what they're doing. Its pretty much a gimmic just like flex pay that gets people to spend more than they should. :lol They're good business people. This isn't philanthropy.

rewards are ok for the consumer but absolute genius on the company's part. as you stated for hot toys, they basically just get the consumer to keep buying til they accumulate enough rewards points to get something for free. by then, you have spent more than enough money to cover whatever "free" item you receive. and of course you pay shipping on ur "free" item. plus the rewards points don't activate til a significant amount of time AFTER you receive the ordered item. so you don't really get the full use til like a year later or whatever. by then, if you are like me, you have like 7 or 8 items on preorder that you have not used any pts on. just pure genius on sideshow's part.

rewards are ok for the consumer but absolute genius on the company's part. as you stated for hot toys, they basically just get the consumer to keep buying til they accumulate enough rewards points to get something for free. by then, you have spent more than enough money to cover whatever "free" item you receive. and of course you pay shipping on ur "free" item. plus the rewards points don't activate til a significant amount of time AFTER you receive the ordered item. so you don't really get the full use til like a year later or whatever. by then, if you are like me, you have like 7 or 8 items on preorder that you have not used any pts on. just pure genius on sideshow's part.

Yep, and now they changed the game so you can't redeem the points on what you want. It is not by chance that they now offer free shipping on all new Hot Toys figures and other popular items. They want you to make additional purchases on junk you don't want just so you can redeem your points.

You're right, they don't have to, but the rewards points are really the only justification for paying a slightly higher than retail price. There are many sites that offer better prices on the same products as Sideshow, but the rewards points kind of offset that.

You're right, they don't have to, but the rewards points are really the only justification for paying a slightly higher than retail price. There are many sites that offer better prices on the same products as Sideshow, but the rewards points kind of offset that.

Exactly what I told Sideshow and here was their response.

"We appreciate your taking the time to send in your feedback. The option of choosing a Rewards discount over the free shipping discount is something that is currently being reviewed and considered. If we are able to add this option to our website, we will be sure to make an announcement."

Count me in the group taken by surprise with this change in policy.

I have over 200 dollars worth of points and went to use them on a HT Avengers Nick Fury. Needless to say I was a little shocked.

Given that I only buy hot toys and maybe the ocassional Star Wars figure this was something of a blow.

Guess I'll have to use the points if HT releases a TDKR batwing.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to address a few concerns that were raise dint his thread about the rewards program. Hopefully I can clear up any misconceptions about this service for our collectors.

Sarakawa stated:plus the rewards points don't activate til a significant amount of time AFTER you receive the ordered item. so you don't really get the full use til like a year later or whatever.

The rewards become live after 40 days from the item's ship date. Not a year. This window allows us to handle any return or replacement concerns with that item and maintain order within the rewards system for the clients.

Progmatinee stated: When RPs first came out it may have seemed like a cool idea, basically save 5% on your total purchases. Ok great, awesome. But what I quickly realized is that pretty much subsequent SSC product I buy costs 2% more

The cost of living, raw materials, transportation and consumer products has increased over the last few years worldwide. Sideshow cannot control this. We try to offset some of these expenses with our various programs such as Sideshow Rewards and FREE U.S. Shipping Specials. Plus when you do pay for shipping on an order with us you are getting a discounted rate off of the normal prices the carrier would charge. We are leveraging our shipping volume to do this. You can easily compare your cost by inputting your package info into the carrier's website to see how much it would cost you to send without our discounted shipping rate. We also have been offering $15, $15, and $50 off deals to newsletter members over the course of the last six months.

vs1976 stated: When SSC offers free shipping to the USA, can it apply to your neighbors of the North.... Canada?

ummm. Free U.S. Shipping means for US. if you live in C-A-N-A-D-A then it wouldn't apply! Those types of deals are complicated but customs and import fees which is why we avoid them. However, au Canada we offer you screaming shipping deals and carrier options that INCLUDE brokerage. We are doing everything we can except hand delivering it!

toy adventurer stated: My problem is I only buy Hot Toys from them now and every Hot Toys item they offer seems to now have free shipping. You can still accumulate rewards points when you buy the Hot Toys figures but you can't use the rewards points on Hot Toys figures because of the free shipping, making the rewards points useless, to me anyways.

Unfortunately our system is not set up to allow customers to choose their discounts. We have very few that have requested to do this and most take advantage of the $12- $16 savings the FREE shipping would bring them. If however you feel that you would like to trade in rewards for a free HT item and that is all you order, our customer service staff can help you with that. You would have to be trading in the full price in rewards however to do this and would be responsible to pay for shipping. These types of requests would need to be made prior to your order and cannot be applied months later. You will need to have the active rewards current in your account to accomplish this.

I hope this helps!

I noticed recently on my Hot Toys pre-order that I could not apply my reward points because of free shipping, however I live in the UK so wouldn't be entitled to free shipping anyway. Will Sideshow be able to resolve this issue for overseas customers as it doesn't seem very fair? :(

I noticed recently on my Hot Toys pre-order that I could not apply my reward points because of free shipping, however I live in the UK so wouldn't be entitled to free shipping anyway. Will Sideshow be able to resolve this issue for overseas customers as it doesn't seem very fair? :(

If you would like to apply your rewards and you are international then you will need to contact customer service with your request! They will kindly assist you.

Well most of the time the shipping cost more than the points you would get for the item, so free shipping is the better deal. And you are getting SS's great service.

:exactly:

Well most of the time the shipping cost more than the points you would get for the item, so free shipping is the better deal. And you are getting SS's great service.

They're talking about not being able to use points ON products with free shipping.

Thanks Chicky for clearing that up but I still think that "Free Shipping" should apply to North America & not just the USA. :monkey3 After all, we are in the same continent :eek:

Thanks Chicky for clearing that up but I still think that "Free Shipping" should apply to North America & not just the USA. :monkey3 After all, we are in the same continent :eek:

But it has to go across the border. So I do understand why they do not offer it. Even if it bites.

Back