Whoops! ;)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reemixx

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hey all

I stumbled across this place by accident while searching for some info on the 18" Alien figure I bought recently; those legs were $@*&ing tough to get on. Aaaanyway, the "whoops" is because I've just realised by wallet is going to be a LOT thinner from now on. There's a huge pile of useful information here, which is awesome.

I'm actually very new to collectible figures. I resisted the temptation for such a long time, but when my partner started collecting Nintendo and other gaming related memorabilia, my willpower faltered.

Then we went to a toy fair and that was the end of it.

I now own the NECA 18", 7" Alien, and 7" Aliens Warrior, a Diamond Select Civil War Cylon, and some random Star Wars pieces. It's not much, but it's a definite start :) And now I'm thinking about starting a collection of the Diamond Select Ultimate Quarter Scale figures. Would love some Sideshow or Kotobukiya figures, but it looks like they're really expensive in Australia (and just as bad when buying from the US + postage, on eBay etc).

Do Aussie collectors generally buy from Australian stores, or US stores online or elsewhere? Any cheap places I should know about? Tell me your secrets...

Looking forward to spending more time here. Not looking forward to being broke. :wink1:

Welcome to being broke but hopefully not all the time. At the start you will want to collect everything and go totally nuts but hopefully over a few months/years you will find your key interests and stay there. That should key you out of the red.
I buy through ebay and Sideshow direct;y. OZ retailers are expensive especially with the exchange rate at the moment.

Enjoy the show.

:welcome1: to the FREAKS Show! :duff

You'll get used to see this image...

Empty20Wallet.jpg
;) :lol :wave

Thanks for all the warm welcomes :)

Welcome to being broke but hopefully not all the time. At the start you will want to collect everything and go totally nuts but hopefully over a few months/years you will find your key interests and stay there. That should key you out of the red.
I buy through ebay and Sideshow direct;y. OZ retailers are expensive especially with the exchange rate at the moment.

All very logical, cheers. That's exactly what I've been trying to do for the last few weeks; figure out exactly what's important to me and what I want to collect. It's not as easy as it sounds, though. Right now, I think I'm gonna focus on a few 18" figures, the stuff that really matters to me, and then stop for a bit and just look at some of the 1/6 scale stuff.

But yeah, we'll see how that plan works out :)

Interesting you mention Sideshow direct. How much is shipping to Aus through them? I never bothered to look as I assumed it'd be something insane. But now that I know it's an option, that's opened a few doors.

Also been looking at eBay lately. Some good deals, but often the total with shipping is just as insane as local Aussie retailers. Blah.

Whoops? Wait until you see Hot Toys figures! :horror

Ah, crap... Too late.

Welcome Reemix! I'm a newbie from Canberra and started with a NECA 18" Alien too... which led to a 1/6 stormtrooper and Bruce Lee... then I found Hot Toys, DiD, Enterbay etc. and have been happily broke ever since.

Some places like The Toy Federation offer reward points for shopping, and redeeming these can keep your bank balance looking less ragged. Others like Big Bad Toys Store have a 'pile of loot' system that lets you have shipped in one go figures accumulated over time.

Angolz is based in Asia and Hot Toys stuff can be cheaper from this site than US sites (eg King Leonidas was in stock for US$117 when US stores had them for around $140/150). Shipping is cheaper from Asia too.

What I've learned in the short time I've been collecting is that it's a good idea to do the research - work out which figures are likely to become hard to find if you don't either pre-order them or buy them as soon as they are released.

This is an awesome forum. Folks here are welcoming and always keen to help out a fellow collector with tips, tricks and hints. Many of the members here don't just have impressive collections, they are awesome photographers too - they present their figures in a whole new light. And check out Alex's Toy Haven blog if you haven't already. If I live to 100 I might have a collection half as sweet as his...

Back