Whoever knew that soul searching was required to collect these?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol I have been down that road many times Khev! But I did however, decide not to be a completist with SW 12" line and the Marvel PF line. Some characters in each line just don't do it for me, like the Endor Troops or Electra. Plus, my room has almost reached its maximum capacity to house my Statues. Jaws arrived yesterday and that bad boy took up way too much space.!! :monkey4

My feeling is to collect what makes you happy

I have a relitively big collection and it consists of Koto, Bowen , Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Riddell, Applause , Dc + more

I collect what really sticks out. If i see a piece and think "oh my god thats absolutely amazing" then ill buy it, if not ill usually leave it

Yeah, it happens. I'm gonna go get what I want/afford. I'll be getting some PF but mostly 12". I like both but can't do both so I'll be picky when it comes to the PF. I disagree with Tom about the quality over quantity because so far the 12" has some awesome quality. Equal to the PF as far as compairing them to pieces of the same kind.

LOTRFan said:
One bit of advice, stick with the PF! :lol
I might with SW but I just don't see it happening with LOTR. I think the Fellowship will actually look better as a group in 12 inch form due to the poseability and option to display them in a group, walking in a line, etc.

Plus the Frodo PF is very poor. Kind of sours the whole LOTR PF thing no matter how cool Lurtz looks.

Khev said:
I might with SW but I just don't see it happening with LOTR. I think the Fellowship will actually look better as a group in 12 inch form due to the poseability and option to display them in a group, walking in a line, etc.

Plus the Frodo PF is very poor. Kind of sours the whole LOTR PF thing no matter how cool Lurtz looks.

I agree with you on how poor the Frodo PF is....it's an odd pose. I would much like frodo to be on all fours holding the ring in his hands then the pose the PF is...but that's another thread. I have a mixture of PF/12". Sorry to echo what others said, I just get what I love. The 12"ers are easier to complete, due to the price, but I'm only getting that I can't live without. Loved the Luke/Yoda PF, so that's the only SW PF I'm getting (sorry, can't afford boba :monkey2 ). Getting the Fellowship 12" set. Okay, the fellowship is the one set where you can't get just one, it would look incomplete and dumb. In conclusion, just get what you love; after all, if you impulse buy, just remember that you are gonig to be looking at these figures for a LONG time. Don't buy something you don't want to have 10 years down the road.

I'd love to have all PF in both lines but I just can't afford that. So I'll get all the 12" and a few of both PF lines. I will get all 9 members in PF for LOTR. Frodo is an awesome piece in person. There isn't a bad thing about it really.

I have limited interests and space. I like SW and LOTR. I obsess over iconography. Characters that sum up. Gandalf is like that. You look at him and it's like "THAT is what LOTR is about." Same with Vader. I break the iconography rule occassionally with jella cool figures like Kit Fisto.

All I have to do is make sure I'm doing enough repaints to pay for all the figures on order!

galactiboy said:
So no more dove holding for you Batty?
I don't believe replicants had souls. As human as they appeared and wanted to be, they were machines. But then again, they may have believed they had souls, just like humans... so who knows?

I'm collecting the SW 12" figures and PFs and the LOTR 12" figures. If I can afford other figures or PFs from other lines, I buy them.

I used to buy almost every GG SW bust that came out, but now I only buy the ones I really like. I don't feel I need a Plo Koon or a Darth Maul bust when I'm getting a 12" figure of the same character.

I'm with Mikey on this one... It's all about icons. I mainly collect Horror, LOTR and SW, with the occasional "other" movie icon tossed in with the rest. But when the time comes for me to pool together money for something else... Like my current mask situation... I am willing to sell anything except for the big three... SW, Horror, LOTR.

Sometimes it's nice to have other things though, if only to sell later... :lol

Most of the time I buy something just because I want to paint it. Medicom Jack Sparrow is a perfect example, Hot Toys Superman is another....

I totally know what everyone is going through. I'm thinking of making a most wantedlist that would fit in with my collection. Giving that list to my wife and she will hold me to it. Jabba for instance has always been one of my favorites and when he was announced she knew I would want him just had to figure out how. Thank the maker I can cash in a week of vacation. As for other characters I've only gotten Luke, Anankin (Jedi) and Obi. The only sith I will ever get would be Vader and Palpatine from the OT. About the only PT character I could see wanting is Jango, Cody and 501st Clone. I would really suggest the list idea. If you can't think of a character off the top of your head it probably isn't that important to you to get anyway.:eek:

It's hard to pick your battles, but better to draw a line and not go into debt for something like collectibles (trust me...it sucks). I am making 1/6 scale figures the priority for me, and the LOTR PF line will be a nice treat if I can keep it up. I have never owned a PF figure though, so when I get Lurtz tomorrow, I may be eating these words!:rotfl

I used to semi-complist on LOTR weta statues but lost my interest when they discontinued the line and I didn't move to PF line. I cancelled Lurtz exclusive and 12 inch figures was where my interests moved to i'm gonna get all of LOTR and SW 12" figures. and of course some other characters...I'm worried a bit since I'm getting on this train too late. I might be interested in other company's 12" figures.

:D Khev, very interesting question you pose there...I know what you and the other members mean.
Back in the 90's when Hasbro started the Star wars 12" line and 3 3/4" I started to collect heavily and was a completist. After years of collecting I had so much stuff that I literally had no room for anything. I had stuff in boxes in the attic, basement, bedroom, you name it. I couldn't really enjoy most of it , I knew that I owned it, but couldn't really see it!
It's sad to say but I eventually started to get turned off by Hasbro stuff, I needed this figure and couldn't find it, people and stores were hoarding figures charging triple,quadruple, etc. I overpaid for so many figures. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it overall, but at times getting "ripped off" for "limited editions", like the Han on Tauntaun, which I paid $150 for,became easily available at Toys R Us just a few months down the road, wasn't pleasurable.

I only displayed the stuff that I really liked, even then I had them on display rotation due to limited space!

I really wish that I had taken a different approach rather than the completist, for many reasons.
1/ Space
2/ My Wallet!
3/ I bought everything that Hasbro made, the good, the bad and the crap! I had so many figures that I looked at them down the road and said to myself" Why did I ever buy this"?

Now in 2006, I have sold off my ENTIRE Hasbro collection. I'm still a collector, but I will pick and choose what I really want and like, what my funds allow and what my space allows. I'm now married and have a daughter, so my priorities have changed a bit. I'm only collecting the Sideshow Star Wars line, which goes without say, is far superior than Hasbro. So far, I have Luke, Anakin, Sith Anakin, and Obi Wan. I have Maul on order and I will collect only my favorites. What I like about Sideshow is that even if you missed something, you have the possibility of getting it from them from their Wait List option. I saw a Sith Anakin at a local comic shop for $130! I got mine off the wait-list for regular price from Sideshow, that's a great service they offer.

I guess that everyone collects differently.
So in conclusion I guess that there is some soul searching that is required , at least now, on my part. This is my first post here, sorry if I rambled on!:D

Welcome! Your story is much like mine and many others here. My Hasbros are an endangered species facing extinction with no funding. It's a great thing to know your limits (money and space) when your interests outstrip both of those.

Less is more. Sometimes NOT having a particular figure actually ADDS to your display. Empty space gives more focus to a piece.

Right now, I am choosing my battles at the moment and have reluctantly cancelled a few 12" lines(Terminator and LOTR) in order to have the funds available to delve into Marvel's PF figures, because I just absolutely love this line.

Seaward is right, falling into dept by means of buying too many collectibles is the worst thing to do, which is why I have to pick and choose, nowadays.

For me, I'm just going to stick with the SW 12" line and Marvel's PF's for now. Not to mention, I also have collectibles from GG on pre-order at the moment.

I have alot on order but are going to cancel the whole Jabba setup. Too big, while measuring I found I couldn't display any 12 inch figures around it, so what's the point? Bib is going with him. keeping Leia as Boushh though.LOTR 12 inch have to go, they sure will be very nice but hard to pick just a few of them. Never going to cancel anything out of the Buffy/Angel lines though. The money from Jabba will go to PF Spike instead. And then there's The Phantom in his Swedish Blue outfit. Don't know what to do with that one yet.

Back