Who will win Best Supporting Actor?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Supporting Actor

• Josh Brolin - Milk

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Votes: 50 92.6%
  • Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with whoever said RDJ has no place being nominated. He has done many great performances, but TT? At least they didn't give a nod to Tom Cruise for his role in TT.

I think he deserves to be there! The performance was classic and memorable and every regular joe took note of it (much like everyone did with Heath as the Joker)...Downey Jr. did a fantastic job conveying the character he did and was believeable in doing so. So what if it was a comedy?

This makes up for the fact that Sacha Baron Cohen should've been nominated best actor for BORAT. Not only did Cohen do a tremendous job as the character but HE FOOLED EVERY DAY PEOPLE...if that isn't acting than what is? Who cares if it was a comedy?

I am with Ledger all the way.

Cohen's problem was not that he didn't deliver the performance well, but that it was too skit-like. No character arch, no real purpose other than to find Pamela Anderson...it all came off like an elongated skit from his HBO show Ali G, or even a 2 hour Tom Green gag. He has a heck of a lot of talent though and I loved Borat.

Totally disagree. His proformence didnt change.

If you're disagreeing with me, it has nothing to do with his performance but how an actor gets nominated. Movies such as TDK just don't get nominations in the main catagories much.

As for RDJ getting nominated, I think he got this because there's no way he would've gotten nominated for Ironman.

Heath Ledger for sure. I'm a firm believer that even if he was still alive, he would still get it, or at least he would deserve to get it.

*sigh* another hope was that Michael Sheen would get recognition for his work in Frost/Nixon. He's held his own against some big hitters/performances -- Langella and Mirren (in The Queen). Those two had to have someone who had the gravitas to meet them toe to toe.

Agree that Ledger's performance was fantastic and was Oscar-worthy -- alive or dead. If he was alive, I would bet money that he'd be a lock to win. But as I posted in another thread (somewhere), the Academy hasn't shown that it likes to give posthumous awards very often even though they're passing along the appropriate condolences, public attestations, and tears for their fallen. As award worthy as Ledger was, they just MIGHT give it to someone who can use the award to boost their income or to welcome back someone who's been in the doghouse for a while -- Downey.

IF the sentiment for Ledger's death hasn't faded by then, it will be him. (My preference would be Hoffman for Doubt -- anyone who can stand up to Streep in the same frame has my respect.)

Heath Ledger, and it better happen.

The most memorable character on screen to come along in quite some time. We'll still be talking about Ledger's Joker 20 years from now.

:lecture

Heath Ledger for sure. I'm a firm believer that even if he was still alive, he would still get it, or at least he would deserve to get it.

I totally agree that he deserves it and I hope he gets it, but the Academy is funny on how they vote. And it's obvious that they aren't kind to sci-fi at all. That's why I say he wouldn't have gotten nominated or wouldn't win it if he was alive. But he more than deserves it.

If you're disagreeing with me, it has nothing to do with his performance but how an actor gets nominated. Movies such as TDK just don't get nominations in the main catagories much.

\

Neither do movies like Tropic Thunder...especially for the fact they openly mock Hollywood as a whole.

That's what makes it great, and so damn funny.

For me it just made me mad because I could just hear them all patting themselves on the back for being such great sports to do a send up of it all. Robert Downey Jr. was funny at first, and the Jack Black tied to the tree scene was funny, but other than that it was just alright for me.

Last edited:
From the list of actors, I guess I have to pick Ledger, I wasn't head over heels for him, but I hate Hoffman, Milk is gay, Downey I like but that movie was crap, and I never seen The Road movie.

I'm sensing alot of hate for Tropic Thunder here... you better watch your back people :cuss

I love the movie to death, my favorite comedy of the year. But seriously...think about it. If TT can get a nom, then TDK can EASILY get one. Nothing to do with death at all.

Back