Who will repair polystone!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Of course we all know the famous Rick (RTM) does great repairs/repaints. Anyone else out there that will fix for funds?

I had a new member ask me for references, and it might be smart to start a thread with everyone in it who can do it.

Also the repairer doesn't have to be a member. If you've had work done please let us know who, ballpark costs and if you were happy with the repair.

I don't have a repair expert to recommend, but a member on the Clubhouse board just repaired his Sauron, and here's his story:

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. Last night my fiance was goofing around and sat her cell phone on top of our Sauron statue from Sideshow. She didn't realize how loose his head was (she sat the cell phone in the middle of his helmet spikes) and the helmet fell off, hit the floor (carpet, thank god) and the tips of his helmet spike broke. One broke pretty far down and a few of the others broke at just the tops.

I'm going to try to fix it with Aves Apoxie Sculpt. What I need help with is finding out what color of paint to use to match the repaired parts with the rest of the helmet. It looks like a charcoal greyish black to me. Does anyone know what color it is and if I can buy that color or how to mix the proper color?

Apparently dropping the head is a fairly common accident; one other Clubhouse member said he's knocked his off while dusting it. Several Clubhouse members offered paint suggestions. Today he posted:

Hi all, just wanted to drop in and say a big thank you to everyone that helped with color and fix recommendations. After much testing the paint I ended up using was charcoal and black. First I painted the Apoxie Sculpt with a base of charcoal. Then I mixed 1 drop of charcoal with 1 drop of black and dry brushed that over the Apoxie Sculpt. The paint is a perfect match and with a little more sanding in some spots you won't be able to tell the helmet spikes were broken and resculpted.

I asked him about the brands of paint he used that matched Sideshow/Weta's paint, since several types had been suggested:

I used Delta Ceramcoat. The charcoal alone when dry still looked like a flat grey, almost like a primer. The 1:1 mix of charcoal and black made the exact color of Sauron's armor and after that dried I used Games Workshop's "Chainmail" for the silver "dings". The "Chainmail" color is a very bright shiny silver that seems to have match up very well. I did notice that if I put a dab of silver on the spots instead of dry brushing, it had more of a shine to it.

Aves Apoxie Sculpt, Delta Ceramcoat Flat Charcoal and Flat Black (available at Michael's), and Games Workshop's Chainmail.

Go to town!

I remember Dassy did excellent work on my Fell Beast statue. He repaired the spike for me and resculpted abit of the horn on the facial armor. I also remember him repairing a shattered Sam from the Sam and Bill the Pony statue. Dont know if he still does it though.

Interesting info Gruff.

Anyone have an iidea what Polystone is? What it's made of?
It's not a regular resin then? Does it have some flexible properties or is it more like cold cast porcelein? Any ideas?

Now that I have the Jaws shark, I am into this polystone collectible world, as it were, so I am curious to know. Thanks.

Ive repaired stone statues.fiberglass/resin masks and fiberglass games before I could probuly fix stuff for people around here.

Billy

just curious. Why does it seem that so many people have damaged sauron statues? Ive been thinking about buying one but now im not so sure...

Anyway to avoid his head falling off?

nash said:
just curious. Why does it seem that so many people have damaged sauron statues? Ive been thinking about buying one but now im not so sure...

Anyway to avoid his head falling off?

Don't bump it. Most people seem to have been dusting just a tad too zealously. :eek:

I will do repairs, but I need to see photos first. I don't want someone one to send me something only to find out I would not be able to fix it.

As references, I have fixes A Sauron Statue (Broken Fingers), a Moria Orc Swordman (The Helm was broken and I fixed it up. Gruson was the one who received it and he was happy). I have also done many different sculpting projects, so I am confident in my sculpting abilities.

Just shoot me a PM and hopefully I can help ease your pain and suffering :p

Figuremaster Les said:
Interesting info Gruff.

It's not a regular resin then? Does it have some flexible properties or is it more like cold cast porcelein? Any ideas?

Now that I have the Jaws shark, I am into this polystone collectible world, as it were, so I am curious to know. Thanks.

It appears to be similar to cold cast. At least in its ability to be repaired. It doesn't seem to be very yielding in the arena of flexability however. I repaired a Frankenstein PF with broken finger with a little crazy glue. It was a pretty even,nearly seamless join. Then I took a little drywall spackle and pushed it deep into the grooves of the finger. After that I let it dry. Then I sanded it a little and put a flat clear coat on it. After that mess was good and solid, I touched the finger up with standard American Heritage/Apple Barrell water based paints and a brown wash. It looked great. I couldn't even tell it had ever been broken and I'm the one who did the repairs.

I realize its a pain to have to do anything to these when they arrive, as they are supposed to be finished and immediately displayable. The alternative to not being able to do the little fixes ourselves is worse though in my opinion. I hate sending things back and all of that. The waiting, tied up funds, etc. drives me bonkers.

I have a sculpting project if anyone wants to take it. I need one of Vaders tusks for the PF. Lemme know if you wanna do it!

......................................................................................

Last edited:
Figuremaster Les said:
Interesting info Gruff.

The nicest way to say it is "Polystone is crap!"

Polystone is most often made with polyester and some stone powder, often plaster. It is most often the cheapest resin mixed with the cheapest powder.

It makes a brittle, heavy, stinky casting that is almost impossible to properly repair when it breaks. Unless you handle it like it is made of glass, eventually it will.

Yes, it can be repaired, but it takes someone with a lot of patience and experience with inferior materials to do so.

As you may have guessed, I loathe the stuff.

Unlike a high quality cold cast porcelain, which uses a fine porcelain powder and high quality Urethane resin, Polystone is just what it sounds like.

To repair it correctly; you will need to pin the part. This means drilling. Polystone does not like drilling, but it must be done or the part will be weaker than ever. Polystone has a good resistance to CA glue, which BTW, is about the best way to glue it.

Basically, Polystone is not your friend. It wants you to break it and feel guilty for having done so. Once broken, it likes to stay broken. Polystone is evil. Beware!

LOL

Last edited:
Masao said:
The nicest way to say it is "Polystone is crap!"

Polystone is most often made with polyester and some stone powder, often plaster. It is most often the cheapest resin mixed with the cheapest powder.

It makes a brittle, heavy, stinky casting that is almost impossible to properly repair when it breaks. Unless you handle it like it is made of glass, eventually it will.

Yes, it can be repaired, but it takes someone with a lot of patience and experience with inferior materials to do so.

As you may have guessed, I loathe the stuff.

Unlike a high quality cold cast porcelain, which uses a fine porcelain powder and high quality Urethane resin, Polystone is just what it sounds like.

To repair it correctly; you will need to pin the part. This means drilling. Polystone does not like drilling, but it must be done or the part will be weaker than ever. Polystone has a good resistance to CA glue, which BTW, is about the best way to glue it.

Basically, Polystone is not your friend. It wants you to break it and feel guilty for having done so. Once broken, it likes to stay broken. Polystone is evil. Beware!

LOL

lol this was a great post man. :monkey5:lol

but Sideshow advertises it as "high quality polystone" :rolleyes:

It's cheap, but it's also light...unlike porcelain. As long as a 2 year old doesn't play with it, it's beautiful exterior will hold the evil interior at bay. Beware!! Juggling your polystone items is not recommended.

customizerwannabe said:
It's cheap, but it's also light...unlike porcelain. As long as a 2 year old doesn't play with it, it's beautiful exterior will hold the evil interior at bay. Beware!! Juggling your polystone items is not recommended.

Ok, to be fair, I have not dealt with Sideshow polystone specifically, but it is the same general principle. A mixture of resin with a powder additive.

In any case, I can repair most anything, so, just a reminder.

Email with any questions.

Masaoken at yahoo dot com

Back