Which is the best place to order from in the UK?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.E.D

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys, i understand that this is a very common question but i've recently decided to pick up some Hot Toys figures however being based in England our prices are sky high atm so i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on reputable companies to buy from in the UK?

Also does anyone in the Uk have experience of ordering from US stores like AlterEgo and if so can you tell me what i should expect to pay in shipping and import tax?

Would appreciate any help :peace

Bought nearly all my HT's from Ebay off China dealers. It's been working out 20-30 pound cheaper and I get them sooner. There's a thread somewhere telling you the good ones. But make sure you pay the extra few quid for EMS shipping and make sure then mark them as gift to avoid custom fee's

Other than that there is onesixthbruce a member on here, Play or Forbidden Planet

In my experience both Forbidden Planets (.co.uk and .com) give you the run around and jerk you around.

There are various sellers on eBay who you can get stuff reasonably cheap.

In the U.S. I've ordered from both Urban Collector and Big Bad Toy Store. Prices and shipping is fair... but its the VAT and customs duty that really stings! Not to mention FedEx and Parcel Force have a fee of around £10 because they pay the charges on your behalf and then charge you for it.

This link is quite good to give you an idea of the cost you can expect to pay with regards to VAT and duty:

https://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/

VAT 17.5% of the value of your item. You can get around these charges by requesting foreign sellers to mark items as low value and as a gift. Ofcourse it doesn't guarantee it since customs may still inspect and charge you... and if it gets lost you can only claim back the amount that was stated on the form or whatever. Not the true value so it can be a bit of a risk but can pay off! Also some sellers may not be willing to do this so make sure you check with the seller prior to bidding or purchasing.

Any way...

When I have the £££ ready to order, I now go with One Sixth Bruce. Great service and gets stuff a bit faster than other sellers in the UK and also his prices are fair.

Also... his packaging is bullet proof! So your item is unlikely to be damaged in transit (unlike play.com who tend to stick it in a grey plastic shipping bag)

Play.com are good they seem to sell them quite cheap but they take ages to gte the stock. Forbidden Planet UK are a bit of a joke I don't really like them - they say they have stock but they don't and you don't learn this until you have purchased the item - they can be expensive too.

Best place is Ebay! Pick a seller with lots of positive feedback and you're set - I've bought loads of HT figs from Studio Sunny with no problems! He gets the stock as soon as it's released and you can get figures months before some of the guys in America.

I used to use Play.com allot cause they were so cheap but there prices now are ridiculous. Thankyou both for the recommendations One Sixth Bruce seems to be quite favoured around here so i'll most likely go with them.

Greywolf87 the link to the duty calculator is just what i was looking for and will no doubt be helpful in the future so thankyou.

When I have the £££ ready to order, I now go with One Sixth Bruce. Great service and gets stuff a bit faster than other sellers in the UK and also his prices are fair.

Also... his packaging is bullet proof! So your item is unlikely to be damaged in transit (unlike play.com who tend to stick it in a grey plastic shipping bag)

Thanks GrayWolf (taking my gun away from his head!!:wink1:)

I used to use Play.com allot cause they were so cheap but there prices now are ridiculous. Thankyou both for the recommendations One Sixth Bruce seems to be quite favoured around here so i'll most likely go with them.

Greywolf87 the link to the duty calculator is just what i was looking for and will no doubt be helpful in the future so thankyou.

So your from Nottingham! You can even save postage and collect, I have many customers from Derby/Notts and often arrange to collect at some predetermined location!!:)

I'm only at University at nottingham at the moment i live in Sheffield, your located close to nottingham i take it?

No problem! Certainly makes it easier since duty may not be taken into account if the item is below a certain value or whatever. Can't remember the details of it but it deffinately is easier than sitting there with a damn calculator :lol

Thanks GrayWolf (taking my gun away from his head!!:wink1:)

Phew! Close one! *wipes sweat from brow*

:lol

I'm only at University at nottingham at the moment i live in Sheffield, your located close to nottingham i take it?

Ahh at the Uni, I have a couple of customers from there, we do meet ups in Beeston Bingo hall car park opp KFC!!!

onesixthbruce.co.uk is definitely the way to go! The best place in the UK for sure.

Speaking of OSB, breaker did you get my last PM mate? Cheers.

Back