Which 1/6 Indy to buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskrat

Freakalicious
Reaction score
My younger Son is huge into Indiana Jones and wants me to get a 1/6 Indy for the display case. So the question is which one? I have seen the HT DX Indy on display over at the Toys2 retail store. Overall it looks good but something does seem a touch off with the sculpt. I have only seen the Sideshow figures online and they look pretty good at least in pics..but sometimes pictures can be deceiving to what the figure actually looks like.

I can still get the SS stuff for $100-$125 around here and the HT Indy is still going for $240-ish. People seem very split on their opinions of the HT Indy but is it still leaps and bounds better than the SS figures? or is the HT figure marginally better but not worth the extra cash?

Sorry if this has been brought up before...just looking for opinions and you guys would be the ones to ask.

I'm not huge into Indy, but the DX's clothes look to be awesome. And the sculpt is a problem judging by pics, but with the hat on it seems to take away the awkwardness of it a bit.

Again, I don't own one. Just my 2 cents.

I've got the HT Indy, SS Indy, and the Medicom Indy. In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, HT Indy is the best. They all have their pros and cons of course but, overall, HT Indy comes out on top for me.

IMG_45322.JPG

Depends on what you want to spend. You can get Sideshow's Indy pretty cheap nowadays, but despite the great sculpt it has its problems. The HT Indy is better overall but is also not without its own set of problems. The sculpt is questionable at best. And no, it doesn't look any better in hand. What you see in the photos is what you get. But the materials and the fit of the clothing is very good for the most part (jacket is too tight). And even though the price was astronomical last year when it was announced, $250 is now very reasonable compared to HT's newest offerings like Avenger's Cap ($215). You also get some good extras like the pedestal and the Arab disguise. I'd say go for the HT Indy.

I've got the HT Indy, SS Indy, and the Medicom Indy. In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, HT Indy is the best. They all have their pros and cons of course but, overall, HT Indy comes out on top for me.

IMG_45322.JPG

When you see them all side by side the HT toys Indy looks like the one to buy!....even though the eyeliner makes him look like Nestor Carbonell

Pre-Emmy-Party-Nestor-Carbonell-lost-15147131-396-594.jpg

OR if you really want the ultimate Indy. You can find yourself some custom Indy clothing made by the very talented Kato, a member here and 1/6 tailor. His clothing is very expensive, but let me tell you, worth EVERY penny. Here is mine with a custom shrunken Sideshow premium format Indy head sculpt. It's my ultimate Indy. I don't know why I picked up HT Indy. It's nice but this is way nicer to me. :exactly:
collection013.jpg

OR if you really want the ultimate Indy. You can find yourself some custom Indy clothing made by the very talented Kato, a member here and 1/6 tailor. His clothing is very expensive, but let me tell you, worth EVERY penny. Here is mine with a custom shrunken Sideshow premium format Indy head sculpt. It's my ultimate Indy. I don't know why I picked up HT Indy. It's nice but this is way nicer to me. :exactly:
collection013.jpg

THat depends on how young his son is! That figure u have provably ended up costing you like $500 (more or less) and it looks really good. I wouldn't give my 10 year old a figure like that! :rotfl

the Hot Toys ones is worth the price. Yes the sculpt isn't great, but even so its still better than anything else.

But when taking into account the higher price, remember you also get the sweet display base, backdrop and pedestal with the HT DX Indy and that makes a HUGE difference to the overall display.

Thanks for all the replies. I probably will go with the HT DX Indy. Sad thing is there was one on Ebay that ended on Friday...it sold for $159. I ended up losing by $2.00. It's been a long time since I tried to snipe an auction (since 99.999999% of auctions are all Buy It Now, or insane starting prices)...guess I was rusty:slap

I miss how ebay used to be before BIN...I used to get some killer deals!

When you see them all side by side the HT toys Indy looks like the one to buy!....even though the eyeliner makes him look like Nestor Carbonell

Pre-Emmy-Party-Nestor-Carbonell-lost-15147131-396-594.jpg

I don't know about that whole "eyeliner" thing. I know it looks that way in some pics, moreso when flash is involved. Here's a shot of mine, without flash, same figure, no mods:

IMG_000837.JPG

I agree about HT Indy being the best. For awhile, I wasn't convinced that it beat out the SSC version, but with the stock SSC paint job to compare it to, it does. The HT version clearly has the best quality clothing and accessories. Best, reasonably cheap option to get a decent looking Indy on your shelf is, in my opinion, using the HT version as your base, buying a SSC head, getting it repainted by someone, and using it as a replacement for your HT head. That's what I did. Shortround's option only works if you are willing to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to get your figure together, and have no compunction about buying/using recasts. And even then, the figure isn't perfect IMO. The option I'm suggesting could end up being done for $250 or so, particularly if you re-sell the DX Indy sculpt.

I agree about HT Indy being the best. For awhile, I wasn't convinced that it beat out the SSC version, but with the stock SSC paint job to compare it to, it does. The HT version clearly has the best quality clothing and accessories. Best, reasonably cheap option to get a decent looking Indy on your shelf is, in my opinion, using the HT version as your base, buying a SSC head, getting it repainted by someone, and using it as a replacement for your HT head. That's what I did. Shortround's option only works if you are willing to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to get your figure together, and have no compunction about buying/using recasts. And even then, the figure isn't perfect IMO. The option I'm suggesting could end up being done for $250 or so, particularly if you re-sell the DX Indy sculpt.

I've been on the fence for a long time about this one too. I want one so bad but there are so many mixed feelings on this fig. I can't find the thread but I saw someone posting pics of their repainted HT sculpt and it looked damn good to me. The thread was in effort to end the debate and prove that the sculpt is good, just needs a repaint. Do you know the thread I'm talking about by chance?

I personally have the Sideshow Indy and am quite happy with him, IMO the Hot toys sculpt looks like @$$ and I have seen it in hand. The Clothing on the hot toys is nice and the accesories rock, but it just doesn't look like Indy to me.

I saw the Hot Toys Indy on display last week....My first reaction was "WOW Harrison Ford"...then I looked again from a different angle and it was "ok maybe not" You see some pics like the one posted above and it looks pretty good, then in other pics you're kinda squinting thinking "ok I kinda see Harrison Ford"...its a very perplexing sculpt...yet it seems no one can put their finger on exactly what is so off about it...

Regardless I think this is one I am going for...I am just trying to be patient - every now and then you see one go for cheap on Ebay (I checked some completed auctions, one sold 3 weeks ago for $119.95 - pretty cheap for a DX)....Hopefully I can try to nab one of those.

In my opinion there's currently only one off-the-shelf sixth scale Indy to buy:

000_0078.jpg

The Sideshow and the Medicom are back in their boxes. They just don't cut it any more (not that the Medicom ever looked any good anyway!)

Obviously people are voting for the Hot Toys Indy (I would too), but part of this is because us ADULTS expect perfection in our figures, almost to a fault. How old is your son? Depending on age, he might not care so much that the Sideshow figure doesn't have the most accurate sidebag, or that the sculpt doesn't have the paint of a master, or doesn't look EXACTLY like Harrison Ford etc... Further, depending on his age, there might be a fear of him "playing" with the figure too much and breaking it (since Hot Toys figures are so delicate and are essentially not meant to be played with).

Just food for thought. I know I wouldn't want to get my son a hot toys figure only to have it broken in a week. I would be more pissed than he would. :lol

Back