Where do you see the cost of SS/W statues in 8-10 months?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOTRSWfan

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was just looking at recent prices and they appear to really be at an all time low (buyer's market, YAY!).

So I am wondering, do you thnk this is going to be the same in 8 to 10 months? I only ask b/c that is when I will be able to realistically pick this up for good (FINALLY! :chew :chew ).

Will the only thing to make them go up be the announcement of The Hobbit and the continuation of the line?

Any and everyone's opinion is welcome :)

I also have noticed the drop in prices. I think that they will not go up like they were just after the films. Its great for me because I have several to pick up yet. I dearly love my collection still, even though they aren't
"worth" as much on the market. Those 9000 edition sizes will be easy to afford in the long haul.

I can't see these appreciating in price again to tell you the truth.

The LOTR movie hype is gone, its only hardcore and true fans left now.

Even if the Hobbit is eventually released, do you think this will have an impact on the prices of these? I don't, maybe on the stone trolls or Bilbo though.

I forsee the Sideshow/Weta collectors selling their remaining statues for $10-$30 bucks a pop on the streets to support their crack cocaine and heroin addictions. They will hold up signs for change while having conversations with themselves and sleeping in homeless shelters at night.

Oh wait.....sorry thought this thread said SS/W collectors not statues. My mistake. I really don't know where the cost of "statues" is going. :dunno

i really don't care,the balrog or the cavetroll may down to $50 each,i still like them not the value.:lol

I hope the value decreases steadily. I also have many items that I want
to pick up. Just waiting for the value to drop even more.
I think many LOTR fans are doing the same. :)
So I don't think value will drop to $50 :lol
It wonder how SS 2007 LOTR Polystone lines would affect the value of
original SS Weta line. :rolleyes:

since prices are dropping in general, i think that it will continue to do so but gradually. that's good for collectors who can pick them up cheaper than previously. i myself picked up legolas and gimli on arod on a bargain last week.

i regret just a little pre ordering all the later releases in the last year when i could have saved money buying them from the secondary market now. but that was something i couldn't have predicted so oh well, i'm keeping them anyway not for selling. money can be earned again.

but i still will not pay a couple of hundreds for the original balrog though even if that means it has dropped a lot in terms of value! :monkey1

i can see prices staying low and then the statues disappearing from secondary market,especially the rare ones.then if one comes up for sale
everyone will be dying to get it-therefore prices will go back up.
supply and demand.thats what its all comes down to.

:gollum: Most of the "deals," are on the newer pieces that had an inflated ES. Sure there is some variation amongst the "big dogs," but there is no way the bottom will drop out on the CT, Rog, WK, etc. There aren't enough of them, and it will be hard to find a collector willing to part with their precious. :gollum:

i really hope they decrease more and more so I can get the Fell Beast and Watcher in the Water :monkey5

I think that the number of SS/Weta collectors will continue to diminish.

I think that besides the obvious reasons for leaving the line such as space restrictions, financial difficulties, loss of interest and moving to other collectibles (SW, Marvel, etc.), you have to consider that other LOTR collectibles continue to be released. Pieces such as the amazing PF Lurtz and the 12" line are now prefered by many. What would you rather have- Lurtz bust/statue or PF Lurtz? Most would select the PF, unless they were bust collectors only.

Don't forget that there were alot of speculators that jumped on the bandwagon when the aftermarket prices on many pieces started rising astronomically. With the later pieces getting higher ES's, those are now flooding the market, as we're seeing.

But I think that the aftermarket will eventually stabilize and some of the lines with lower ES will start rising again. Like LOTRFan said, the "grails" won't plummet in price much. They are still highly difficult to obtain and were the pieces that really gave the SS/Weta line the recognition it received from the collectible community (specifically the non-LOTR collectors.)

As for me, I got into the game rather late and am trying to take advantage of these lower prices before they start going up again. I love my SS/Weta collection and have been VERY selective in what pieces I obtain so that's why, with the exception of one or two pieces, I don't see myself selling any pieces off (emergencies not withstanding.)

Prices always drop when there's something better out there. And in this case it's the LOTR PF. Also, recent exclusives with the use of magnets has really been well-received, especially with Lurtz. In a sense, SS is shooting itself in the foot (with regards to secondary market values). To top it off, a new all polystone line will come? Well, if these are going to sell, they have to outdo the Weta polystone. And I'm sure they will, otherwise SS will lose $$$, and I don't think they are going to do that with LOTR. This will only make the Weta line continue to decrease. I believe only the low ES Weta will hold good value. So I would wait till the PF line gets going a bit, and the new polystone line comes out. Prices on the original Weta stuff will decline for sure.

The lesser known pieces will drop in value...But, the original line that was released will hold their value...everything else, ESPECIALLY the lines with LE over 6000, downward spiral baby..

I think the prices will keep dropping... And when (if?) the Hobbit comes out, they will rise again!

and then after a short while dropp again.. So if someone is thinking of seeling.. do so after the hobbit have come out!!

darth dyp**** said:
The lesser known pieces will drop in value...But, the original line that was released will hold their value...everything else, ESPECIALLY the lines with LE over 6000, downward spiral baby..

But the Grails are already dropped by more than 55% or more.... Balrog going for sub-1.5K, so is CT... maybe medallion No. 16 may worth something.... more rare than anything... but not sought after...

That line has always been overated in my opinion.I know it has his followers.But,It rule at the time cause it was the only line of higher end collectibles produce for that franchise. Now that Sideshow is producing better pieces and in scale with each others(both in 1/6 and 1/4).The Glory days of weta are gone forever....

gtb said:
But the Grails are already dropped by more than 55% or more.... Balrog going for sub-1.5K, so is CT... maybe medallion No. 16 may worth something.... more rare than anything... but not sought after...

Hmm, maybe one or two have but not the majority.

CHECK OUT SPACEMAN'S SITE

Things will continue to shake out, but there are new collectors all the time (lucky for them!). It's just there are maybe three tiers right now and some of the prices have dropped for the big 8, some more than others. What is interesting is that for most pieces, they remain at their respective levels of desirability. People still have to spend at least over 1K to buy the cave troll. 20 yrs down the line... who knows? I think weta has a certain sentimental value and they did really great work with most of the statues. I agree, the PF's and some of the marvel dioramas have been blowing everything and I mean everything out of the water, but there's something special about the gondorian helm set for example. There's hope for the older collectors that the hobbit will revive interest, and it probably will. Over time it will be the edition sizes and how many are left floating out there. I think when the LOTR trilogy winds up on television, that's when it will appeal to a greater crowd. Anyway, I think for most people, room is the biggest problem and something has to go. Not all of us wants a separate storage site just for statues. I would like statue companies to slow down and not make so many duplicates, ie variations. It really kills.

Back