Whedon discusses future Firefly hopes, says he turned down SW 7 for Avengers 2.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamandi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Source: Toronto Sun

Joss Whedon would love 'Firefly' to take flight again

Geek god Joss Whedon is back in the spotlight -- if he ever actually left it -- thanks to word that The Avengers spin-off TV series S.H.I.E.L.D. on the fast track to production, and the revelation that he was approached to direct Star Wars: Episode VII but had to turn it down due to his commitment to the Avengers sequel.

"I'll never really accept it and I always, in the back of my head, think, 'What if I could get the old gang back together?' ... Well, you know, it's something I would love to do ... Part of me is like, 'God, it would be great when I finish Avengers 2 to do that.’ I suspect very strongly that after Avengers 2 the next thing I do will be a one-man show, possibly one monkey."

34024756.jpg

I was always thinking he'd be too busy with Avengers to do Star Wars.

I think 2015 would be too late to try and revive Firefly. The actors are just getting to the point where they are looking different enough from back then. Though I have to say seeing Gina Torres at a recent event she looked pretty fantastic

I think that Joss just had a wistful moment concerning Firefly during the interview. Realistically, I don't think he will ever return to the 'Verse. The man always has a bunch of projects on his desk that he will want to do first.

Kind of like hearing Guillermo Del Toro talk about making Hellboy 3... even though that character has a warm place in his heart, he will always choose a "newer" concept to pursue.

I'd love Joss to dive back into Firefly or another past series. So much potential, IMO.

I think 2015 would be too late to try and revive Firefly. The actors are just getting to the point where they are looking different enough from back then.

I don't see any reason not to be the same group back together and then just set it 10 years later in the universe. Then part of the series would be slowly finding out what happened to them all over those 10 years.

Come on Joss, make it so (opps, wrong sci-fi series, haha)

Personally, im pinning my hopes more on a reboot somewhere down the line.

Probably not by Joss, but this series has too much potential to just let it die.

Interesting....a "reboot"...? Hmmmm.....with a different cast...grrrrr.....

Would be welcome, I think.

Personally, im pinning my hopes more on a reboot somewhere down the line.

Probably not by Joss, but this series has too much potential to just let it die.

I rather let it die than see a reboot. Personally.

If the Star Wars PT taught me anything it's that you can slap the franchise name on a film(s) but that doesn't mean I'll enjoy them.

Firefly was fun because of the chemestry between these characters and the actors playing them. The TV series had some great stories and humor and the film was good if not a bit over-crammed full of stuff.

Different browncoats, another ship.... zzzzz. No thanks.

Oh yea, a new ship full of new characters would suck.

But a remake with different actors would be great if done right. We all think the original is untouchable and cant be topped, but believe it or not there are other great writers and actors out there who do have chemistry with one another that could do the franchise justice.

Hell, if Rebecca Greyhart hadnt been fired from the role of inara, we would probably be saying that her portrayal was untouchable, and laughed at the idea of Morena Baccarin playing her.

If there is one thing that BSG taught me, is that a remake in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing could be great.

Last edited:
@Shadow - Larson's BSG and RDM's BSG are two completely different creatures.

If you take Firefly and make the same radical changes it doesn't really solve the problem of people who miss the show.

I know some people can't believe it, but there are other actors out there that have chemistry with one another if put onscreen together. The Firefly cast wasn't exactly made of of talents that only come around once in a generation. No one is irreplaceable.

BSG was so different because it already had an established story and canon. The great thing about Firefly was that you can literally go anywhere with the franchise becuase it never had a chance to develop that far in the first place.
You can take the original premise and characters and go anywhere with it, possibly somewhere better than where Joss would have gone.

What seems like a worse plan to you? Creating a new series that gives you more of the show you love and could be amazing, but can be ignored if you don't like it; or putting the original behind some metaphorical glass case and declaring it untouchable, never getting any more of the series ever?

You may be thinking that the other option is bringing back the series with the same cast and writers; but sorry, that isnt happening.
Plus, it would be crazy to do a series without Wash.

Rebooting the series would not mean getting more of what you loved about the series. I'd rather have nothing new than for them to recast the parts and act like the series never happened.

Rebooting the series would not mean getting more of what you loved about the series.

Why not exactly?

It may suck, or it may be amazing. But it's either take a chance on something new or nothing. It's not like you can't ignore the new stuff and watch your old DVDs if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Back