What's the difference between a Maquette and a Premium Format Fig?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowsnotoys

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question, but what's the difference between a Maquette and a Premium Format Figure? and which ones do you prefer and why with regards to SS LOTR products?

Maquettes are smaller and fully sculpted.

Premium Formats are larger (usually 1/4 scale) and used mixed media like cloth for clothing, etc.

I prefer PF.

Larger, more detailed. Compare Lurtz and the Berserker to one of the Macquettes and you see a huge difference.

A Maquette is a model made by a film maker to ensure that the details of a character are defined in 3d to the whole of the crew. They are made all sizes (abe sapien is 1/3 scale for example). They are usually one off pieces as all different sizes.

The premium format range are 1/4 scale mixed media pieces with cloth clothing etc. They display well together as they are all in the same scale.

A Maquette is a model made by a film maker to ensure that the details of a character are defined in 3d to the whole of the crew. They are made all sizes (abe sapien is 1/3 scale for example). They are usually one off pieces as all different sizes.

The premium format range are 1/4 scale mixed media pieces with cloth clothing etc. They display well together as they are all in the same scale.

:lecture:lecture:lecture
This is the answer you are looking for.

How big are the upcoming Lord of the Ring maquettes? What scale?

The nice part of the maquette line being a slightly smaller scale is that you can display more characters with each other on a shelf. The PF line tends to hog a shelf and not leave room for much else, but I always thought 1:6 scale statues display nicely together as a collection!

The ones with display space should get the smaller ones. I only need a few premium formats to be happy, so I will get the larger scale.

the difference is that the PF lines last about 2 years before they are put on hold and left incomplete. but the Maquette lines usually last 1 year before they are put on hold and left incomplete. of course this is 6 months after they start picking the most obscure characters you've never heard of and put them in the most bizarre poses that you can't change. hope this answers your question.

Sad thing is after all the other differences that have been mentioned, it used to also be price.

:horror

Back