What's the best material and technique when sculpting hair?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Britain

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi - I already started a thread on this, with reference to my particular project but haven't had any replies, so I thought I'd make the title more general - could anyone advise me on what to use when sculpting hair? My current plan is milliput and cocktail sticks but any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well, I use sculpey and different size needles/pins. I've made a special tool. I used a dowel, drilled both ends with a dremmel, then superglued a pin at each end. This way, I have access to different sizes on a same tool and can hold it as a pen.

Well, I use sculpey and different size needles/pins. I've made a special tool. I used a dowel, drilled both ends with a dremmel, then superglued a pin at each end. This way, I have access to different sizes on a same tool and can hold it as a pen.

Great tips there thank you. Is sculpey available in the UK?

Try Amazon. I get it in France but it usually ships from the UK.

I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, if it's sculpting completely or just modifying an existing sculpt. But you must take into account that's it's a baking clay. If you use it on a resin head, you can put it into the oven. I usually use lower temps than they advise but bake it longer, or several times if still want to modify it. Also, there are several types of sculpey. I'd recommend firm grey but some people prefer the soft kind.

Cheers,

JP

Back