Whats been your biggest disspointment with Hot Toys 2015

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the most part the complaints seem to fall into one of four categories:

1. I wish they would release more figures from X line, because I want to buy more.

2. The one figure they made was not to my liking.

3. I wish I could buy more of your products, but I'm priced out.

4. ironman fatigue.

That's actually some pretty high praise for a manufacturer. And the one off unsatisfactory piece has to be considered in the scope of their making like 240(?) figures now. Not every one of them is going to be a hit. But through the lense above, the HT disappointments are not bad at all. I didn't see anything about a dip in quality.

And if IM keeps selling you can't blame them for keep making them. They sell like hot cakes. I can't get made at them.

I didn't see anything about a dip in quality.
but it's right above your post.

weapons, predator armor, multi-detailed human gear had more quality and detail in 0** figures than it has in 2** figures.
for example, back in the days, if you got a sword, it had a handle with leather stripe around it, a blade separated from the handle, sometimes metal. now it's all a big piece of plastic.
or, if you got a weapon, it had scratches and color differences on it. today it's a piece of black plastic. same about boots, clothes.
or, when you got a predator figure, its armor consisted of multiple pieces, they were deeply detailed and could move. today it's one piece of plastic without details.
and the last thing is that back in the days i didn't read so much about returning broken figures and haven't broken any of them myself. today they come with separated arms and legs straight from the box.
so no, while sculpting quality unquestionably raised, production and engineering quality is a lot lower.
but it's still higher than competitors. much higher.

Last edited:
How about the birth of the $20 domestic shipping fees for 4lb figures. Possibly 3x higher than sideshow actually pays. Most likely a deterent to stop people from returning them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
but it's right above your post.

weapons, predator armor, multi-detailed human gear had more quality and detail in 0** figures than it has in 2** figures.
for example, back in the days, if you got a sword, it had a handle with leather stripe around it, a blade separated from the handle, sometimes metal. now it's all a big piece of plastic.
or, if you got a weapon, it had scratches and color differences on it. today it's a piece of black plastic. same about boots, clothes.
or, when you got a predator figure, its armor consisted of multiple pieces, they were deeply detailed and could move. today it's one piece of plastic without details.
and the last thing is that back in the days i didn't read so much about returning broken figures and haven't broken any of them myself. today they come with separated arms and legs straight from the box.
so no, while sculpting quality unquestionably raised, production and engineering quality is a lot lower.
but it's still higher than competitors.

I have this issue with the newer Iron Man figures. Older releases like the Mark II (Armor Unleashed), Mark III (Battle Damaged), Mark IV, Mark VI etc had, wherever possible, lots of intricate working parts much like a 'perfect transformation' Gokin figure. Mark II (AU) for example can have most of its outer surface stripped to reveal mechanical detailing, has arm missiles that actually fold out of the gauntlets, a deployable arm shield, etc. Mark III (BD) had working shoulder missiles that sprang out of the body. Mark IV and VI had working flare dispensers on the hips.

Now we get figures like the Diecast Mark III that have swappable parts for all of the above, or the features are absent entirely - and on top of that no proper ankle joints like every previous release.

The quality of fit, finish and paintwork keeps going up - but the level of mechanical complexity in some ways is going down with newer releases. I feel like the Iron Man line in particular has lost a lot of the magic it used to have, and not just through total market saturation.

Fair point. And no, I didn't see the quality post above. I haven't had any issues or concerns with the stuff I bought and I've still been very satisfied. But that's just me.

But the quality HT has brought to collecting has been unmatched. Still the top manufacturer. Look at the quality leaps in engineering for ironman figures. Tailoring, detail on weapons, weathering, accessories, PERS.

I have a hard time knocking them on quality.

Re release the batmobile, if is limited edition collectible, why release it ? Thst makes me sell all my HT

I don't want to be another to kick poor old John Matrix, but I did pre-order the figure when it was announced, before I'd even bought a Hot Toy figure, and the sculpt vs the teaser/prototype pictures was disappointing. After the Steve Rogers and Tony Stark heads I got this year, my hopes were pretty high..

The plus is that he is rich in accessories, and tbh if you are an Arnie fan and you want a Matrix you do have to accept it for what it is. It isn't like MCU where you know there will always be more Iron Man figures come along. Hell, even if you miss those figures, all the main suits seem to inevitably have V2.0s or Battle Damaged versions come along. Does just seem a bit giant "Action Man" or "GI Joeish" compared to the better Terminator figures though.

The fact that they won't pick up the Halo license and take it away from 3A. I don't understand how MS thinks 3A is doing them any justice.

Hot toys is a disappointment in itself to me.
They seem to have tunnel vision on what they think will sell due to pairing their brand with a new found entry of a popular license.

Example: Star wars.
They are killing it with this license while most others are neglected or poorly executed and left incomplete. They will use time and resources to produce an 18ft millennium falcon for a show but won't spend the time to nail Arnolds likness for terminator or commando. Make every single last stormtrooper varient and make a few up even... Make several batman and joker varients.. (Not to mention all the Iron men everyone has complained about at some point or another.) But won't revisit popular Characters like Dutch and make the rest of his team, the Aliens marines, Rambo. Etc.
Figures so dated that they don't even look like there made by the same company.

For quality continuity and completest collectors outside of interest in marvel, this new dc justice league brink, and star wars... Hot toys as a whole is disappointing and seen as a fad.... Imo.

They give us no reason to be excited. I actually laughed out loud at work in a meeting when I saw them announce the bvs stuff like it was cream of the crop aaaaaannddd.... that's not even bat man.

Back