What would you pay for a complete set of LOTR Medallions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazmog

Freakalicious
Reaction score
To those who know me...hi again; to those who don't...hi, good to meet you. :)

I haven't seen these on eBay for a while, so I am naturally curious to know what sort of price these would fetch at auction. What sort of price would you pay for the entire set?

In case you are wondering, I do have all 16...and yes, I am pondering the idea, reluctantly, of selling them...for strictly educational reasons, you understand. ;) :monkey2 A taught masters makes a huge dent in the wallet these days!

Thanks, guys!

I think a complete set is worth anything between $800 and $1,200 USD. The problem is that the big three (Duel L&F, Theoden and Beserker) hardly ever pop up on ebay so it is hard to tell what these will go for these days. But with the waitlists closed completists are on the prowl.

I don't know, but most of the medallions are selling pretty low. I picked up a "Birth of Uruk hai" for $15 on ebay. I need only 6 more to complete my set. I need 1 from the first 8 (10000 editon size) and 5 from the last 8 (1000 edition size). I have seen a trend of everything in the SSW line going way down in price, with some exceptions for the most sought after pieces.

Turgon said:
I think a complete set is worth anything between $800 and $1,200 USD. The problem is that the big three (Duel L&F, Theoden and Beserker) hardly ever pop up on ebay so it is hard to tell what these will go for these days. But with the waitlists closed completists are on the prowl.

:horror I had no idea they could command so much. I realised they were highly desirable, but like I said in the opening post...I was clueless about the extent of the value. Food for thought for sure.

Daveyjaro said:
I don't know, but most of the medallions are selling pretty low. I picked up a "Birth of Uruk hai" for $15 on ebay. I need only 6 more to complete my set. I need 1 from the first 8 (10000 editon size) and 5 from the last 8 (1000 edition size). I have seen a trend of everything in the SSW line going way down in price, with some exceptions for the most sought after pieces.

From this, it sounds like, if you are going to sell, you should do it now.

If you do sell them, I would definitely list them all individually and all on the same night. You'll get everybody watching them and you'll rake in more money than you would get if you listed them as a collection.

Dax, thanks for the suggestion, it's much appreciated. I do plan on listing them individually, and most likely after the weekend. Small matter of a practical report to write-up first :rolleyes:

I'm very grateful for your advice, guys.

Good luck with the sales and, more importantly, with the report.

BTW, the CT AP is still looking good!

Hopefully they'll do well. I have a huge haul of items to list before the 22nd!

Ah, that's great...it most certainly went to a good home.

Yes, the joy of the polymerase chain reaction (molecular biology) monopolising my weekend. And I thought the Easter break was for relaxing. Hmm.

Haha, how right you are. :D That's a gauntlet many would prefer not to run.

Anyway, I will aim to list the collection (individually) later this evening. I'll post the links when I start the new thread in the auction section.

In case you have already listed.... I am afraid the price is not as good as before but the rare ones 11 and 16 can fetch up to 200USD per piece.... but listing as a ser... will give it a higher chance of selling those which aren't worth so much (like no. 1 and 6)... and you can put it in the auction that they can save on shipping if they get it all at the same time

gtb said:
In case you have already listed.... I am afraid the price is not as good as before but the rare ones 11 and 16 can fetch up to 200USD per piece.... but listing as a ser... will give it a higher chance of selling those which aren't worth so much (like no. 1 and 6)... and you can put it in the auction that they can save on shipping if they get it all at the same time
I definitely think that selling them separately will maximise sales. In my experience, listing them all separately will attract the collectors who will try to win a few and therefore save on postage. If they had to buy the set, they would then have to pay the extra postage for medallions that they don't want and then they would have to sell them on ebay which takes time and the inevitable ebay and Paypal fees.

Last edited:
Yep, selling separately should fetch more money.

I probably will not bid as shipping cost from UK to USA is extremely high in general for any auction. I'll get my missing six eventually and I believe at a low cost too. The Duel of Light and Fire is already over $200!

I think the fact that the medallion wait lists are all closed now will not impact price at all. Not many collectors are into the medallions, and many of them have had closed wait lists for a long time.

Hi Gazmog,
You've held out hope all this time that SSW releases all the ROTK medallions but alas they didnt, so I can see why you're selling.

Why dont you put a 'Buy It Now' for all the medallions with a expiry time an hour before your individual ones expire.
Then, if anyone BIN's, then close all the other auctions early. If it doesn't then let the single auctions run their natural course. Everyone's a winner...!
Just make sure you're online after the BIN closes :)

ps. Good luck on the studies

Hi Rev...it's been a long time since we last spoke on the boards. Hope you're well.

Ah well, I was resigned to them not making the last 8 a while ago, so I feel the time is right to let them go to a good home, albeit reluctantly. That's the way things pan out some times. There's no point in dwelling on the 'what ifs' etc: life's too short for all that ballyhoo, tom foolery...love that scene in Good Will Hunting! :D

Anyway, I feel I'm gonna leave the auctions in the lap of the Gods...and see what transpires.

The studies are going great. I am well into revision mode right now, as my first exam is but 2 weeks away...then I can look forward to working by the sea in Weymouth, Dorset at the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture on my year long placement, looking into bacterial pathogens in shellfish and the incidence of gastroenteritis in humans.

:)

revilal said:
Then, if anyone BIN's, then close all the other auctions early. If it doesn't then let the single auctions run their natural course. Everyone's a winner...!
Just make sure you're online after the BIN closes

That one wouldn't work as you can only end the auctions if there is more than 12 hours left on the auction, unless there have been no bids. I would definitely let them run as all of them will generate a lot of interest for those who are missing a few. I would guess that there will be some bidding wars at the last minute and Gazmog will be laughing all the way to the bank (until he has to spend it on something practical like education!)

CaptainCaveTroll said:
I would guess that there will be some bidding wars at the last minute and Gazmog will be laughing all the way to the bank (until he has to spend it on something practical like education!)

Very true, Dax. The excitement of the closing moments of any bidding frenzy are the ultimate highlights. I can't wait to see what happens with these!

Back