What WETA would you sell and why?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnamiraTook

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I see items for sale on this forum and eBay and often, unless it is a dealer, there is some kind of explanation for selling the item(s).

It just made me ask myself what would make me sell one or more of my WETA items (other than paying rent or buying food !!) and which ones would I sell.

Would it be your least favourite or what would make the most profit. If I had to make a decision I think it would be either helms or environments. Not because I don't like them, but I just don't want to give up any of the statues.
And the helm would need to be sold as a complete collection as all or none would have to go.

I'm sure this has entered everyone's mind however briefly. It would be interesting to know what we could give up if we had to. Selling duplicates doesn't count.

It cost me an arm and a leg to get hold of many of the 'Big Ones' from Weta. If I had to sell, it would have to be for financial reasons.

I would try and only sell one if I could. I'd start with Gandalf on Shadowfax and work towards my beloved Cave Troll (Id really have to be up **** creek for this to happen)

I would add this thought to your comments. I would not discount selling one of them in the future to finance something better that SS may bring out in the future.

No way would I sell any of them. Only collecting what I want........not the ones that I kind of like or could maybe like down the road. Only way is if I get the same piece as a gift or something.........like that'll happen.

Not selling any of mine. In fact I am still going back and picking up some I missed out on before. I just got Grima and a Boromir the other day, waiting for them to come in...

I have about 25 polystone pieces, and all of them are staying.

Unless, for financial reasons I have to sell them off....which God willingly I won't have to worry about.

CookieMonster said:
I would try and only sell one if I could. I'd start with Gandalf on Shadowfax

That's funny- I was thinking that if I could only keep one piece, it would be Gandalf on Shadowfax--it's my favorite SS/W item. If I absolutely had to sell something, I guess it would be my King of the Dead, since he doesn't quite fit in anywhere with the rest of my collection--is he a good guy or a bad guy? He doesn't look right with either, so he's all by himself right now.

I'm not selling either, barring of course, the ever present "knock on wood" exceptions, which we all list so as to ward off their occurence. :cool:

It will be interesting to see how the market acts on these rarer and more prized items. You think the stream has to end, but although some pieces are at a trickle, there is always seemingly still someone left ready to sell just about anything. So far ... :D

tomandshell -- Being King of the Dead is a lonely job. And thankless :D Right on about Gandalf too. If you have only one piece (as my father does in his film room), GoS is a great choice IMO. It's such a wonderful sculpt of a major character which evokes some of the most powerful and victorious scenes of the film. How can you go wrong with the Lord of all Horses? It's not so great as an investment though. :D

Agent23 - Congrats on Boromir & Grima. Both are great. Esp. Boromir, as a fellowship member is a great addition to any collection.

tomandshell said:
That's funny- I was thinking that if I could only keep one piece, it would be Gandalf on Shadowfax--it's my favorite SS/W item.

I would start with this peice as it was the least expensive of the statues I have.

Dont get me wrong, I love the statues I've got and will hopefully never have to sell any of them.

The last statue I did sell was to CaptainCaveTroll, to help him get his collection up and running again. I sold him the King Of The Dead statue.

how popular is " king of the dead " for me has to be in the top 10 ..... guess we all have our favs .....

surely the majority of the higher priced items are sold grudgingly ?

afterall its not the price that makes them great ...

my collection stands at 25 too ... and i would be lost without them .... heaven forbid it ever comes to parting ...

What a strangely timed question! I have just finished two holes in my collection. At this point I have gotten all of the statues, all of the busts, and the helms minus the Witchking, and plaques and two of the three giclees. I had gotten all of the environments, and sold them to a friend, and I am currently missing one weapon set. Now I am at a bit of a crossroads...
I plan on asking my girlfriend to marry me in the (hopefully) near future, and I will be needing a new car as well. I look at my collection, which I love, and I wonder how tied to all of this I really am. I love the Weta stuff, since all of the guys and gals who had a hand in the film created these items, but some of the likenesses are...interesting. The two pieces created by for the Sideshow premium format line already appeal to me more than the existing Weta stuff. I even think that the 1/6 Aragorn is way cooler than the statue. Now I wonder if I sell much of my collection, just as it is finished (I am an OCD/ completist) I will be able to afford an engagement ring, a down payment on a car, and salt enough away to order without worry from the Sideshow line. Help a collector nerd in love!!!

Seaward said:
I plan on asking my girlfriend to marry me in the (hopefully) near future [...]Help a collector nerd in love!!!

Your love (I mean the girlfriend, not the collection) has to come first, hopefully it will last longer!

Believe me, I know: me and my girlfriend have been engaged to be married for almost 10 years now, but I only started collecting SSW a year ago - which means our love has lasted longer than my collection :D

(No sarcasm intended...)

I sold what I sold to help get out of a little CC debt and that's all everything else is staying come heck or high water.

Recently I sold Citadel Pippin for 70 bucks, last night Boromir for 200 and I still have Merry on ebay. I cant have Merry if I dont have Pippin and I really didnt like Pippins pose so...

Im hopeing I'll like the PF hobbits better. Still, Im keeping SABTP and :frodo

I've sold a lot recently and that's because mainly due to the boss (wife) giving me last warning to get rid of this stuff and grow up. :)

I will be keeping the Steed pieces, but everything else has to go.

FYI - have Saruman, Eowyn, and Wounded Orc Bust up for sale on eBay, hopefully someone can pick it up. And would like to sell my KOTD asap.

Oh yeah, I have the Boromir Sword up for sale. Why? because I caught my friend's daughter underneath, dabbing it waiting for it to fall, so once we start a family soon, don't want the children near weapons. And yes I have the items in a secure place, but you know kids, they will sneak and appear in seconds.

Thanks

Any, why because i work to get them and i dont like to separate of one of my pieces of one of my collections i feel bad because are a part of my life, if i sell something is because i have two or because is damaged and ill buy another one as is the case of my Arms of the Nazgûl, others might think ill sell all and only get the PF :confused: you collect them for nothing?

To answer the question:
I only buy what I really like. Still... here's a list of some "mistakes" I have made since I started collecting the SSC/Weta items.

Fell Beast and Morgul Lord.
Gandalf on Shadowfax.
King of the Dead.

To give some background:
I don't collect busts (except 3/4 Gollum), weapon sets, Medallions or environments (exceptions are Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul). And as much as I like the Alan Lee giclées (is this considered WETA?), they are overpriced, so I'll never buy them.

I'll never part with my (completed) Helm collection (still need the WiKi crown though...).

I still want to pick up the original Balrog one day (to expensive though), the Cave Troll perhaps (to expensive also) and I have no interest in the WiKi true form, to conclude with the "big three".

I have pimped many a peice. Living in Southern Cali I dont like the price/fragility issue when they become too valuable. I understand there are always earthquakes on the horizon.

i really love LOTR and even though everything else kinda peaks my interest, i dont go as crazy over other things.

things i would sell? probaly just some of my doubles to finance getting some new pieces. right now for me its a buyer's market as prices are really low. thankfully, i really dont need too many pieces and have improved on my OCD and completism a bit.

however, the recent experience with the hurricanes here have given me a new perspective. everything is material and easily replaceable. thus if i lose my collections, my house, my car etc, as long as i have my family and we are all in good health, then i'm very happy and satisfied.if i lose my house? find a new one. my collection? its ok, i have my memories...

which would i sell then? nothing right now and everything for my family's needs. that includes my comic collection, busts and statues,LOTR Weta items, autographs, and everything else.

the real question is, which one would you save?

Back