What to buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it's down between Alan Lee's book and the 50th anniversary edition, since it says that books has

"Includes revised and reset text and special features unique to this edition."

"To celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings this definitive, corrected version of the text was published".

But I'm not sure if that extra material is worth the extra money, or if that version of the text is better. I guess I could buy both eventually, but I wonder what I should choose now.

Btw, a few years ago I saw a bunch of huge beautiful Lord of the rings paintings at a gallery in Stockholm, showing different scenes from the books. Anyone who has an idea who the artist might have been? I have no idea how many artists that have painted Lord of the rings paintings.

I have the 50th version as well as Alan Lee's and also a 2d Ed. boxed set (as well as the hand-made Red Book of Westmarch) (hi Shell and Guru :wave :wave). And they (and others) are right....if you're gonna read them, get a cheap-o paperback. Save the purty ones for display as collectibles.

lotr_hc_2003-1-vol_(sauron)_big.jpg

I have been happy with this one for several years but its about time to upgrade for me.

I have the 50th version as well as Alan Lee's and also a 2d Ed. boxed set (as well as the hand-made Red Book of Westmarch) (hi Shell and Guru :wave :wave). And they (and others) are right....if you're gonna read them, get a cheap-o paperback. Save the purty ones for display as collectibles.
QFT :lecture :lecture

Hi Rumi :wave :wave
x :peace

My Red Book arrived today. I'm at a loss for words...

I got a quote for this and I'm so tempted to get it, he did say there was a massive waiting list though.

Can I ask how long you waited before receiving yours? Thanks :)

I got a quote for this and I'm so tempted to get it, he did say there was a massive waiting list though.

Can I ask how long you waited before receiving yours? Thanks :)

I sent payment to Indy at the beginning of July, which got the ball rolling. So about 3 months is what the expected wait time is I think.

Not my video, but have a peek inside...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/aQVsyidQB6U?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/aQVsyidQB6U?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can say with absolute 100% certainty that this book is well worth the asking price. If you're on the fence about picking this up I would say just go for it. I can't describe it, but holding it in your hands and thumbing through the pages, you really feel like you own an authentic piece of Middle-earth history. I would've paid more than what it cost.

I sent payment to Indy at the beginning of July, which got the ball rolling. So about 3 months is what the expected wait time is I think.

Not my video, but have a peek inside...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/aQVsyidQB6U?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/aQVsyidQB6U?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can say with absolute 100% certainty that this book is well worth the asking price. If you're on the fence about picking this up I would say just go for it. I can't describe it, but holding it in your hands and thumbing through the pages, you really feel like you own an authentic piece of Middle-earth history. I would've paid more than what it cost.
Congrats on getting it my friend. That book is truly a work of Art :clap :clap

I know with mine he said origianlly it was a 3 month wait time but it actually took close to 5 months before I received it, but it is sooooo worth it.
I have both the book and Thrors Map which is in the top left of that clip :rock
x :wave

Congrats on getting it my friend. That book is truly a work of Art :clap :clap

It certainly is, Shell. No regrets getting this one, and I can't believe I waited so long to get it. I also have Indy's Isildur's Scroll, but ended up getting a Thror's map from another prop maker. Very pleased with all of these acquisitions overall. The Hobbit display is nearly complete.

Last edited:
I think I'll go with the leather binding. I usually don't buy books to show off, but I think these would be nice to look at in my bookshelf. I just hope I don't lose them, I imagine shipping to Sweden won't be the lowest.

-EDIT Nevermind, I found them for less than 50 bucks, including shipping, in Swedish online stores. Yay me.

You'll be glad you did.

I've read the books a few times (paperbacks), but a high quality tale deserves a high quality book, if you get my meaning. Just feels nice to hold that quality, hardcover.....thats just Tooks opinion!

The Red Book is "THE" Lord of the Rings collectible to own. :yess: :lecture :wave

Indeed. Since its arrival I look at it every chance I get. Indy really did do an outstanding job putting this book together. Some of the finer details include the way the actual text is written in the book. Throughout the book, the text gradually fades from dark to light, as if an actual quill pen was used and had to constantly be dipped in the inkwell as the ink began dry. The parchment paper is stained, aged and has a coarse texture. I actually prefer the drawings in the book that reflect the look of the film. Similar to what Creativemarko has done, I think it would be great to take photos of some of my collectibles next to the visual references in this book.

I am very interested on this Red Book collector edition. I would put it in the same display i have for Gandalf PF and The upcoming Morgul Lord.
Who should i contact to get on the waiting list?

Thanks in advance guys!

That's the Red Book of Westmarch, it contains Bilbo's and Frodo's personal account of their adventures and is what the full Hobbit and LOTR is 'based' on.

The Red Book of Westmarch

Hi Rumi :wave

Hello!

Does some one have that book?
I need a picture from the opening of Smaug pages...
I´m making a fantasy cake and I´m in big trouble if I can´t get that picture :pray:

Back