What is the meaning at the end of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: Space Odyssey?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-1188

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've seen the film and I ended up a little bit confused and didn't quite get the whole black monolith thing. I do know it's tied with the evolution of man, the birth of new life and the eventual death of it, in other words lifecycle...but still I feel like I didn't get the whole idea of the story.

Does someone have an answer to that?

Kubrick wanted viewers to see the film and interpret it's meaning on their own. There's no concrete accepted interpretation of the film.

My idea is that the black monolith is a manifestation of a higher power, divine or otherwise, that elevates the human experience - through what we consider evolution - to an existence we don't yet understand. That's why the final 1/4 of the film is so confusing. It reflects sights, ideas, and a reality our human minds cannot possibly comprehend...yet. By the end of the film Dave has become a being so far advanced from what we humans know that there is no precedent of comparison. I do think that the jump in evolution is a bit too far, considering that the Apes that touched the monolith in the beginning of the film only advanced as far as us before we met the monolith again.

That's just one theory. Another could be mutation or devolution, who knows? I haven't read many interviews of Kubrick on the meaning of 2001, but from what I've read he has often refused to explain it.

"You're free to speculate as you wish about the philosophical and allegorical meaning of the film" -Kubrick

I recommend watching this flash short movie called "2001 explained", it's fun and interactive and informative: https://www.kubrick2001.com/

The gate is a formula that contains the secrets of the universe, all the shapes and forms are mathematically unlocked in the consciousness of David Bowman wich elevates his consciousness beyond anything we as plain humans can understand. The room is an immaterial construction based on human experience. In there he walks trough the cycle of life unlimited by time, matter or SELF. This enables him to be reborn into something that will possibly be a messenger or creator. basically Bowman is a tool to create a human link to an alien entity. By that it can contact or even transform human consciousness ( like it did with our ancestors) A new chapter in evolution will begin. This was the plan all along. Our species had to find the monolith (being able to reach the moon means having achieved the proper level) for us to be ready for the next step in our evolution

It was also anti-war, the thing with the baby (Star Child) was meant to be anti-war.

There really wasn't a solid interpretation that the makers had in mind, it means many things.

My gripe with the movie was that the HAL / Dave portion was by far the best part, yet was there any connection with HAL malfunctioning and the black monolith?

Evolution is FACT! To disregard evolution is just plain ignorant.

O and just because something is fictional automatically means it doesn't mean anything?

I had a feeling the guy with the chimp in his signature would respond so rapidly, most athiests do. "Their" agendas are too predictable :lol

Enjoy the thread. Bye. :D

My gripe with the movie was that the HAL / Dave portion was by far the best part, yet was there any connection with HAL malfunctioning and the black monolith?

Possibly, he became self-aware wether this has anything to do with the monolith is uncertain.

I had a feeling the guy with the chimp in his signature would respond so rapidly, most athiests do. "Their" agendas are too predictable :lol

I hate it when people stereotype. :banghead

"Evolution" and "God" are not mutually exclusive.

I had a feeling the guy with the chimp in his signature would respond so rapidly

It's a gorilla!

most athiests do. "Their" agendas are too predictable :lol

I don't have to have an agenda to be a RATIONAL human being. I dismiss the term atheist, why do i need to be called atheist for not believing in fairytales? If people want to believe in god fine but don't dismiss evolution.

Last edited:
Hal didnt malfunction.
He did his best to carry out the instructions given him.
(Covered in 2010)
Monoliths are instructors(amongst other things)they prodded the Cro-Magnon men to kill and begin tribalism.
Then they become a marker to be unearthed on the moon that sends a signal to Jupiter and the next monolith.
Why?
To tell the "watchers" that we stayed alive long enough to make it to the moon and direct us to the next step.
Are the monoliths sentient?
The books seem to indicate not.
Dave Bowman is turned into a liaison for the aliens.
Frank Poole is actually brought back in a sequel.
The aliens seem to have a gardners mentality:Seed,cultivate(harvest?)
Beyond that its almost a Prime Directive philosophy.

Evolution is FACT!

O and just because something is fictional automatically means it doesn't mean anything?

Its called the "Theory" of Evolution.
Not the Law of Evolution.
Theres a scientific grand canyon between the two titles.:rolleyes:

2001 is a great movie. I can't beleive someone was thinking about this stuff back in the 60s, and then to have these ideas made into a movie is just mind blowing!

The bible instructs believers to have "faith like a child," but it never says you should act like one. Grow up.

Its called the "Theory" of Evolution.
Not the Law of Evolution.
Theres a scientific grand canyon between the two titles.:rolleyes:

The theory of evolution refers to the process of evolution. Evolution, as in the result of evolution, is fact and has been for a long time.

Back