What if Hot Toys did Street Fighter?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
One of the most enduring and popular franchises of all time, Capcom's Street Fighter has dominated every medium from video games, to manga and comics as well as animation, and comedy (if you count the live-action films.) Even as collectibles, SF has been featured as just about everything from a GI Joe line, to a series of high-quality premium format figures... with a glaring omission in quality 1/6th scale figures.

Sure Medicom did a decent Chun-Li, but as a stand-alone figure worth the same as a Hot Toys DX figure, it just doesn't hold up. How awesome would it be if HT took over the licence and produced a series of quality 12" figures?

While the PFs are really nice they're a little too rich, especially when SF is an ensemble franchise and many can't afford to buy the whole series. With HT, you'd getting a high-quality figure that can be had for about half the price, and can be posed in a variety of ways rather than just a static statue.

Who here would be interested of this ever happened? Hell, they already have the licence to Capcom's other big franchise (Resident Evil) and since SF is popular in Asia, this could maybe be a possibility. Any MvC fan knows they would also look great with HT's Marvel series.

Would fans prefer a stylized anime look? Based on the live-action film? Or the best of both worlds with detailed sculpts based on the game/comic art, and realistic costuming inspired by the Van Damme film (hey, I thought the costumes and production design were pretty good. A buff video game Bison wearing the Raul Julia uniform would be bad ass!)

My biggest wants:
Ryu
Ken
Guile
Chun Li
Cammy
Bison
Vega
Guy
Cody

Characters like Blanka and Zangief would be pretty cool to see too.

I wouldn't have a problem. They're the Rolls-Royce or Bentley of 12" figures, and I'd be more than happy to have all of my favorite characters done by them at some point.

Always thought Medicom did Anime the best. Would personally like to see them continue doing the line, but nothing more yet, probably because sales weren't encouraging. Problem with Chun is what do you do with her unless you were able to bash a couple other SF figs? I think that and the price, which was kind of high because she was the first and only, were what hurt sales. But I bet if they continued sales would be more encouraging, especially if it's something only they are doing (unlike their Batman stuff, which pales in comparison to HT's). But unfortunately Medicom just wants to do this weird, esoteric anime stuff, which alienates a large percentage of the American market.

On the other hand, I'll end by saying Bubble Gum Crisis figures would be way cool. Cyberpunk anime classic. An original.

Would be cool if they did SF. Can you imagine a Zangief with their new bodies???
~~I still want HT to do a Spartan from Halo. And of course MGS figures are always welcome in my house

If they do, it needs to be based on SFIII only. The other games are nice, but SFIII had the most intricately drawn and detailed character sprites and farthest from cartoony/anime style, which lends well to HT's talent. The more anime-styled designs would be Medicom's forte.

Of course, we can wish for all the video game licenses we want, but in reality, Hot Toys has only done figures from 2 games over the last 2 years, and both have been from the same franchise. I don't see those numbers increasing for 2010.

If they do, it needs to be based on SFIII only. The other games are nice, but SFIII had the most intricately drawn and detailed character sprites and farthest from cartoony/anime style, which lends well to HT's talent. The more anime-styled designs would be Medicom's forte.

While I agree about SFIII's art, it would only give HT a limited amount of popular characters to do. Sure, we'd probably get a Ryu, Ken and maybe Chun-Li or Akuma, but that would leave out heavy hitters like Bison, Guile, Vega, Sagat or Cammy. Say what you will about the artwork, SFII and Alpha's characters are far more iconic. Just look at SFIV.

Only if based on the movie.

906568-jcvd_super.jpg

I'm a huge Street Fighter collector, but to me articulation makes the sculpts look like crap. That Medicom Chun Li looks terrible and is way too expensive.

SOTA and Pop Culture Shock have put out amazing statues, I'm happy with what they are offering, personally.

Hot Toys is really good at getting likeness down, but since Street Fighter characters don't have any one true face it seems like it would be a waste.

If it's based on the movie, I'd love for Hot Toys to have a go at Kylie Minogue's Cammy!!!!

kylie_minogue_1994_street_fighter.jpg

kylie_streetfighter.jpg

kylie-minogue.jpg

kylie-minogue-as-cammy-street-fighter.jpg

:duff :duff :duff

Back