What holds value better long term: Statues or Action Figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Holds Value Better Long Term?

• Statues

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Action Figures

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
Taken from SS website on the Skeletor statue:

"Engineered using an advanced combination of high-quality materials, including polystone resin and PVC."

Again, I apologize for the noob question, but what is the difference between the materials used? Why does PVC hurt the value?

PVC usually used on smaller objects or hard to shape objects because PVC are more durable, easier to mold, and softness can be tuned, however they are usually light & tend to flex/bend/go out of shape and is more sensitive to heat just like plastic & rubber.

Polystone/Resin are hard, solid, but fragile especially small/thin parts. They look & feel like stone/rocks, harder to cast, so cost more.

https://radiantdreamer.net/differences-in-plastics-abs-pvc-vinyl-resin-polystone-oh-my/

but in the end, even the best materials can't save a statue from bad sculpt or paint job.

I think the point Potato was making, is that the larger polystone, Premium statues, tend to have a much higher RRP; than the generally smaller non-poseable, PVC figures.. this and the fact polystone as a material has a more traditional statue feel and heft (Premium statues may include a variety of materials including cloth and PVC accessories), tends to mean prices remain higher .. but again, bear in mind they are more brittle than a PVC figure (articulated or not) and damage will affect the value.. this of course still applies to damaged PVC figures, as well.

don't forget Polystone is much heavier so cost more to ship, and quantities are usually lower because tighter QC is required & thus cost.

Polystone usually used on bigger statue because PVC might be too soft, there are big PVC statues though. Also Polystone tend to have those natural rough finishing that is good for castles/stones/rocks, while PVC everything looks "Man-Made".

Back