What got you into this hobby???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose originally it stems back to the days on PS3 and 360, when a third tier of more expensive Collector Edition with often statues, but sometimes t-shirts or satchets or sports-bags, or even art books started to come out. The first ones I remember buying were GTAIV (which the big selling point was the lock-box which doesn't really qualify in this hobby) and MGS4 (which did have an Old Snake figure) .. Looking back though, there were some pretty mediocre purchases I wish I'd passed on now, and just got the vanilla versions (could have saved $50) like Watch Dogs and various Assassins Creed.

But my main gaming collecting passion is Uncharted and The Last of Us.. pretty much I'm just a huge Naughty Dog fanboy. That indirectly has led to me now having a dozen or so MCU Hot Toy Collection, and soon to be 4 strong Arnie Hot Toy Collection.

The connection being that the Sideshow Nathan Drake was my first sixth scale, and although it is a pretty poor figure compared to my Hot Toys, it brought me here and led to my first Arnie, a battle damaged T1 Terminator, and pre-ordering my first MCU figure, the Mk43 Iron Man die-cast... (the TDW Thor was the first one I got my hands on though)

I've always been a collector. My 1/6 collecting began with G.I. Joe in the sixties. Didn't really have the money as a kid (or I should say my mom didn't when the sperm donor decided to run off with another woman), but garage sales often had a mess of stuff for the Joes. Had a bunch of the Mego Planet of the Apes, Star Trek and super heroes in the seventies, but also had 12" Six Million Dollar Man, The Lone Ranger, and slowly, but surely (using my own money I started earning working on the neighboring farms when I was 10 -- screw child labor laws), I was able to get all of the rock group KISS. 1/6 fell off for a number of years as I moved into other areas of collecting, until Sideshow put out their James Bond and Planet of the Apes stuff, then fell off again. It wasn't until HT did Anne Hathaway/Selina Kyle and Black Widow from the Avengers that I got back into this. As a movie fanatic, this is one of the best times to be a collector of 1/6th. There are so many companies doing figures based on film characters, and the quality is like nothing done before, that I'm like a kid in a candy store (I'll be 50 in June). My wife thinks it's funny, but she appreciates the life-like quality of the work being done. I think her biggest gripe is that the figures are EVERYWHERE in our house. I have to rotate the collection periodically, putting some back in their boxes. Someday, once I see how far the LOTR line goes from Asmus, I'm planning to build a massive display cabinet to house my more important figures.

I've always been interested in figures and stared collecting NECA figures. I knew about Hot Toys but said I'd never pay that much for a figure. A year later I bought one, and now, a year after that, I have 8 of them

I was gonna buy the Joker action figure from Arkham Asylum after I beat the game, but it was sold out and selling for like $60 on eBay. So I decided to spend the extra $20 and go for the Lee Bermejo Black and White statue. The rest is history. Lmao

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Collected action figures as a kid. While browsing the internet I saw an advertisement for the HT 89 Batmobile and it sucked me into this hobby.

That day many years ago (2005) - the sun was shining - my Wife by my side, my children in my arms.

We walked into a local comic shop just to "look around" (as you do).

I will always remember my total astonishment when I spotted buildups of the Bowen P1, Bowen P2 and Billiken P1 - serious OMG moment.

Like - REALLY? - they do models of Predator ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It was a pivotal moment that has resulted in me spending way more than I probably (OK - certainly) should have over the last 11 years.

However, the hobby & communities have also provided enjoyment that cannot be measured or valued (other than with the insurance company).

Yep - the age-old story of addiction meets bank balance.

Hobbies_zpshwhaxlis.jpg

I've always been somewhat of a collector and had been into buying DC Collectibles figures before jumping into 1/6th. I was looking for reviews for some DC Collectibles figures on YouTube and wound up stumbling upon Sean Long's reviews for some of the Hot Toys Batman figures (I think the 89 Batman and Joker are the ones I saw first). From there I started looking into Hot Toys and my collection started out with figures from The Dark Knight Trilogy. I like others I'm sure figured I'd buy maybe a few and be done but I've been buying them since :lol

It was the early 90s. X-Men comics and then the figures by Toy Biz. A few peaceful years of collecting and then...1995 STAR WARS toys hit. Untold thousands of dollars later, here I am.

Always been a collector.....since SW figure came out when I was 7.

BUT....

When I first laid my eyes on the DX Jack Sparrow, I quickly went into 1/6 and have never looked back....
Hot-Toys-DX-Jack-Sparrow-Final-1_1320320097.jpg

I've always collected something. I was/am collecting Big Trouble In Little China merchandise when came across a custom 1/6 Jack Burton for $150. I remember thinking "who would spend that much for figure?" Well abfew months and later I find myself thinking "$150 that's it?"

In case you were wondering I am still putting together my Jack Burton.

I've always collected something. I was/am collecting Big Trouble In Little China merchandise when came across a custom 1/6 Jack Burton for $150. I remember thinking "who would spend that much for figure?" Well abfew months and later I find myself thinking "$150 that's it?"

In case you were wondering I am still putting together my Jack Burton.

I'm waiting for Hot Toys to do Big Trouble items.

Jack and the 3 storms for sure I'd get.

Maybe
Wang and Egg
8 foot tall Lo Pan, & crazy little wheel chair Lo Pan.
Gracie and Miao Yin in red dress.

And just cuz, Lords of Death guy with the white glasses.

Found a link to the SS Speeder Bike and Scout Trooper when I was looking at Star Wars stuff online. Looked into 1/6th scale items and I was hooked.

Like a lot of people, I started really picking up stuff with smaller 3" figures, like Star Wars and GI Joe. Then McFarlane hit with the Spawn line, which I felt brought toys to a whole new level. I never looked back from there.

Now, my tastes and collectibles have evolved. Smaller figures turned into 1/6, then I started picking up 1/4 statues and prop replicas.

Back