What got you into this hobby???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am always toys enthusiast since kid, when kid I had MASK, Gi Joe and several japanese toys. Later as teen I am collecting some Mcfarlane Spawn and huge Gundam model kit builder. I have more than 30 gundam kits on my backlog now. DX1 Joker hook my interest, i can't believe how figure could become so realistic like that. But i am a piss poor college student back then, thus never able jump into it until later. My first HT is DX Jack Sparrow, I am floored and awe with such details. I am always skeptical and think those prototype picture just for hype and actual product will never close to it but I am so wrong.

I collected toys as a kid, mainly the Kenner Batman line, Beast Wars, Ghostbusters etc, and started to drool over the McFarlane figures in the early 2000's. My first 1/6 figure was in 2003 but it took until 2011 for me to get into Hot Toys, in which I saw a preview of the DX09 Keaton Batman. That pretty much kickstarted my collecting obsession.

Nowadays, I exclusively collect only 1/6 figures due to loving a uniformed, consistent display and due to traumatizing experience of being conned by a painter, I've learned to paint and mod my own figures.

I started in my teens with McFarlane's Spawn figures. That lasted for a few years, but eventually I stopped and got rid of my Spawn collection. About a decade passed until I started back up again. Masters of the Universe Classics is what pulled me back in, and things snowballed from there. Now I have a ton of stuff with more on the way.

Actually started with the Sovereign Studios Batman Keaton custom. Then I picked up the first medicom Rocketeer figure. Years later I was looking up reviews for the X-files Sideshow figures because I had just discovered the show in 2008 so I wanted some action figures of them. I ended up here when I found a repaint of those sideshow figures and couldn't believe how life like these figures could be. I signed up for the board, got ripped off by the great Chris Howes and I've been here ever since.

The hobby has come a long way. The figures are better than ever, but the price gouging some of the people do on the boards now is just sickening. Really hoping for the bubble to burst.

When I first read the title I automatically assumed it was regarding 1/6 collecting. I actually started collecting action figures as an adult in 1997. Bret Hart was leaving the WWF so I wanted to find a Bret Hart action figure to put on display. I spent most of my childhood looking for the LJN Bret Hart figure and never found him. Long story short, I picked up a jakks Bret Hart figure in 97. I found out that toy biz was making WCW figures so I picked up a bunch of those as I was shocked at how much more detailed they were compared to the old wrasslin figures I used to play with as a kid. I also started picking up detailed action figures from other licenses. Eventually my action figure collecting lead me here.

I'm still looking for the perfect Bret figure all these years later. I hope storm collectibles makes a figure of him.

For me I was a huge Metal Gear Solid nut. Collecting everything I could. During one of my trips to Frank and Sons one of the vendors had Hot Toy Naked Snake and The Boss on display. Had no idea those were around! I had the Medicoms at the time, but the details of the Hot Toys blew me away. So from there I did my research into 1/6 figures and read up on reviews. One website in particular I liked was Michael Crawford's review site. I read up on 1/6 figures I had no interest in and well, from there i'd end up buying them. Kinda went nuts from that point onward. His site is still my go to place :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Loved action figures ever since I was a kid. At age 12, I discovered my first "high end" 1/6 figure; the Sideshow Bespin Han Solo. Begged my parents to buy it for me and they caved. When I received it, I saw that there were more Star Wars figures on the back of the box. That caused me to search the internet for more. Eventually came across Hot Toys and this website of enablers. :monkey3

I stumbled into this hobby by accident 3 yrs ago. I was online looking for a nice batman figure for my sons 8th birthday and after a Google search, I found the batman dx12 figure. Never heard of hot toys before that and I was floored by the detail of that figure. Needless to say, I ended up buying dx12 as my first Hot toys and been hooked since. And yes, I did find a dc collectibles batman for my son, lol

Chicks always be like, "Lejuan you so HOT, you so SEXAY, we wanna go AGAIN"

I tell 'em, "I'm more than just an endless orgasm maker ladies, so much more!"

But they never believe me. So I started buying dolls and putting 'em behind glass.

Just me and my dolls, that's all I have, all I need.

I'm so hot and sexy that I needed to tone down by becoming a collector, otherwise no other male in this region would have a woman in his entire life.

When I first read the title I automatically assumed it was regarding 1/6 collecting. I actually started collecting action figures as an adult in 1997. Bret Hart was leaving the WWF so I wanted to find a Bret Hart action figure to put on display. I spent most of my childhood looking for the LJN Bret Hart figure and never found him. Long story short, I picked up a jakks Bret Hart figure in 97. I found out that toy biz was making WCW figures so I picked up a bunch of those as I was shocked at how much more detailed they were compared to the old wrasslin figures I used to play with as a kid. I also started picking up detailed action figures from other licenses. Eventually my action figure collecting lead me here.

I'm still looking for the perfect Bret figure all these years later. I hope storm collectibles makes a figure of him.

Aww that makes me sad you still haven't found one :( .. well I hope you eventually do!!

Loved action figures ever since I was a kid. At age 12, I discovered my first "high end" 1/6 figure; the Sideshow Bespin Han Solo. Begged my parents to buy it for me and they caved. When I received it, I saw that there were more Star Wars figures on the back of the box. That caused me to search the internet for more. Eventually came across Hot Toys and this website of enablers. :monkey3

Lol you must have nice parents!! I used to admire all of the amazing things I could collect when I was a kid but sadly never had the chance to own any. Probably a good reason in why I do this now.

I stumbled into this hobby by accident 3 yrs ago. I was online looking for a nice batman figure for my sons 8th birthday and after a Google search, I found the batman dx12 figure. Never heard of hot toys before that and I was floored by the detail of that figure. Needless to say, I ended up buying dx12 as my first Hot toys and been hooked since. And yes, I did find a dc collectibles batman for my son, lol

Awww!! lol.. My daughter sort of got me back into this as well (she's 7). She complains at me constantly because of my figuarts, I told her she's too young for those. But she has lots of age appropriate toys, so she certainly isn't missing out.

Chicks always be like, "Lejuan you so HOT, you so SEXAY, we wanna go AGAIN"

I tell 'em, "I'm more than just an endless orgasm maker ladies, so much more!"

But they never believe me. So I started buying dolls and putting 'em behind glass.

Just me and my dolls, that's all I have, all I need.

:rotfl

You guys are hilarious here.

On a more serious note, I collected all my life. Back in my childhood there were no Star Wars toys where I lived, but still I collected die-cast cars, stamps and other things. Late 90's I started collecting Star Wars, and in 2007 I went the high end route, now being focused on Original Trilogy Imperials and on props and life-size items.

Took a trip to Japan, got some figures as momentos, then later I got some more. And then when I got back home I got some more, and then some more :slap

Back