What are the best Marvel graphic novels?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info devil. I had looked at a bunch of the marvel masterwork books a while back but some of them are really pricey now. Might be better to just stick with the omnibus editions. I just prefer smaller books to read, easier to manage etc than the massive, bulky omnibus books.

My pleasure.

I got most of mine well after their initial release. I think $50 was the most I paid for any of them. Most were around $40, but I bought used whenever I could find one in good shape. I don't understand why DC and Marvel don't keep books in print.

My thoughts exactly Russel. Those huge Omnibus' are a bit of a pain to read so I would the smaller books are the best option.
The HC are way too expensive though. I would prefer the paperbacks now, but they are still stuck on volume 5, whilst the HC are putting #9 up for pre-order. Sigh, I guess I will pass on the line then.

I really liked the MAX runs of Fury, Deadpool and Punisher for something a little more gritty (haven't read the Wolverine MAX yet). I would recommend these to readers of a mature age.

Also I enjoyed House of M, Annihilation, Spider-Man : Kraven's Last Hunt, Death of Captain America, and Marvel Universe versus Punisher

the Marvel's are also good for a different look at Avengers. Shows them as more human which is interesting and worth a look.

I didn't see anybody mention Frank Miller's "Born Again" story arc on Daredevil. It's really good. Miller's squandered his fan clout but this is back when he was essential reading.

Yeah, best DD story I've read. Not surprising when it's the same creative team responsible for Batman: Year One that came out in the same period. Some other good and/or fun stories from the '80s that I'm sure you can get in TPB format of some kind are Secret Wars, Kraven's Last Hunt, and What If? comics. DC-wise, JLI is hard to beat, and of course, Crisis on Infinite Earths, though OP didn't ask about those, they should be read.

My pleasure.

I got most of mine well after their initial release. I think $50 was the most I paid for any of them. Most were around $40, but I bought used whenever I could find one in good shape. I don't understand why DC and Marvel don't keep books in print.

Between this and your advice on Morrison's Batman run you're becoming my go to guy for comics advice. :lol but yeah, I was looking for the masterwork books as I'd love to be able to go through Claremont's run from the beginning, but they seem to be really pricey now. I'll just stick with the two huge uncanny omnibus books and see where they go from there.

My thoughts exactly Russel. Those huge Omnibus' are a bit of a pain to read so I would the smaller books are the best option.
The HC are way too expensive though. I would prefer the paperbacks now, but they are still stuck on volume 5, whilst the HC are putting #9 up for pre-order. Sigh, I guess I will pass on the line then.

Yeah, the omnibus books are handy for having everything in a nice big, fancy book but I'd rather a smaller sized volume to read. As I said though, the masterwork books seem to be more rare and expensive now. I've got the first two omnibus books for uncanny x men so will see if they carry on with a third, and go from there.

Between this and your advice on Morrison's Batman run you're becoming my go to guy for comics advice. :lol but yeah, I was looking for the masterwork books as I'd love to be able to go through Claremont's run from the beginning, but they seem to be really pricey now. I'll just stick with the two huge uncanny omnibus books and see where they go from there.

Awesome. However, classic Uncanny X-Men and modern Batman (post-Cataclysm, but I know Legends of the Dark Knight too) pretty much exhaust my knowledge, so I hope you don't need any other help. :lol

Marvel 1602
Spider-Man Back in Black
X-Men Age of Apocalypse
X-Men Messiah War
Deadpool Joe Kelly Omnibus
Squadron Supreme
Punisher Max by Garth Ennis
Annihilation and War of Kings
Hulk: The End

Well, to go the exact opposite of this thread, as a 8 year old kid I was fortunate enough to be handed one of them Spidey Clone saga comics, I think it was 94/95. Needless to say, I was traumatized and stayed off reading a Marvel comic for half a decade. :lol

I'm really wanting some updated recs for a good comic series, both MARVEL DC and other publishers (e.g. IDW, etc.). Anyone read any good ones lately? Been reading AXIS and it's been meh.

Just got issue #1 for Antman. Currently love IDW's TMNT lines. Also like current Bendis' Ultimate Spiderman with M. Morales. Any good Daredevil, Captain America, etc. going on that is worth a read? I bought The Sandman Vol 1 :preludes....etc. Hope it's good.

Last edited:
Back