WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- SARAH JANE NOW AVAILABLE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- PRINTED SMILING SECOND DOCTOR PICS UP!

Just got home from work. Had as waiting box here with the first 5 Sarah heads in it (and Han Solo's). OMG does she look amazing!

Dan, I will reply to you this weekend, and I will send the Sarah pre-orders out tomorrow or Monday.

I also wanted to mention, for those that make second Troughtons like me or Dan, it is no problem when ordering Trout costumes for us to make a shirt in light blue if you prefer. I recently had a request to make POWER OF THE DALEK pants and as I'm shopping if I find the material, that will be no problem either since that uses the same patten as the reg Trout pants we well.

I am a bit lost as to what to ever do about his stove-pipe hat. Our fabric proto looked pretty blah. Ideally we would need to make one in resin (with a thick peg post in it) to fit on a new Trout head made to wear it (or an existing one modded to wear it). It wouldn't be removable though.

I don't know if can make one in rubber or Vinyl and have it just fit (so it could be removable). Thoughts?

Hi Rick and Sean,

This is my first post here and I have to say the smiling Troughton head is superb, a work of beauty, you have certainly nailed his likeness. When will the head be ready?
I am pleased that you are considering making his Stove-Pipe hat from Power of the Daleks, either fixed or wearable, it would just be great to have one. I am going to have two figures of Troughton, one serious in his Invasion costume and one from Power of the Daleks, So I really hope you can find the material for his trousers from Power.

Keep up the excellent work :)

Best wishes,
Robert

Just got home from work. Had as waiting box here with the first 5 Sarah heads in it (and Han Solo's). OMG does she look amazing!

Dan, I will reply to you this weekend, and I will send the Sarah pre-orders out tomorrow or Monday.

I also wanted to mention, for those that make second Troughtons like me or Dan, it is no problem when ordering Trout costumes for us to make a shirt in light blue if you prefer. I recently had a request to make POWER OF THE DALEK pants and as I'm shopping if I find the material, that will be no problem either since that uses the same patten as the reg Trout pants we well.

I am a bit lost as to what to ever do about his stove-pipe hat. Our fabric proto looked pretty blah. Ideally we would need to make one in resin (with a thick peg post in it) to fit on a new Trout head made to wear it (or an existing one modded to wear it). It wouldn't be removable though.

I don't know if can make one in rubber or Vinyl and have it just fit (so it could be removable). Thoughts?

Rick
I've got an idea for the Troughton stove pipe hat. How about taking the new Troughton head and mold the clay around the head and in the grooves where hai is. That way, when you put it on, it sits flush. It wouldn't look hood for display when you take it off but would be perfect on. If it really came down to it, you could have a second hat for display when not using the other molded to the head.

Hi Rick and Sean,

This is my first post here and I have to say the smiling Troughton head is superb, a work of beauty, you have certainly nailed his likeness. When will the head be ready?
I am pleased that you are considering making his Stove-Pipe hat from Power of the Daleks, either fixed or wearable, it would just be great to have one. I am going to have two figures of Troughton, one serious in his Invasion costume and one from Power of the Daleks, So I really hope you can find the material for his trousers from Power.

Keep up the excellent work :)

Best wishes,
Robert

Thanks for the kind compliments, Robert! Now that we have the master print made I have sent it off (from the US) to our lead sculptor, Sean, in the UK who needs to clean it up through sanding. Once done, he will send it to a caster. Doctor Who sales aren't like Walking Dead where we need 40 copies per head. We just need a few up front and the majority of ales will come later once we can offer the full figure around everywhere. So as a guess-timate the Smiling Trout head will be ready to ship out in a month and a half.

As always, if we don't have it listed down on the front page people let us know if they are interested in one as it lets us know how many we need to have cast up front. :)

Rick
I've got an idea for the Troughton stove pipe hat. How about taking the new Troughton head and mold the clay around the head and in the grooves where hai is. That way, when you put it on, it sits flush. It wouldn't look hood for display when you take it off but would be perfect on. If it really came down to it, you could have a second hat for display when not using the other molded to the head.

Thanks for the thoughts, Dan!

The thing with hatted heads is that when you wear a hat your hair gets squished down for it to fit on your head and the smiling Pat head's hair is thick and shaggy hard resin so will make the hat look wrong that way. If we were to sculpt a hat separately to fit over an existing head, it would look wrong because of this. There is also the added question of the stove-pipe hats weight because of it's height, and the kind of material it would ultimately get made from.

To do it right, were WGP to do it, we would probably make it like we did our hatted Rick Grimes or Indys where the digital head sculpt is altered and the hat is added on to be the top half of the figures head for an alternate version (so the head and hat were made to be one piece, even though it would be cast in two parts so you could reach the eyes to paint them).

We would need enough people wanting this for us to go ahead. For other lines we want 16 people interested per head for us to make a new sculpt. Since this is a variant we'd want at least 8, so let us know!

Hi Rick,

Please put me down for a stove-pipe hat :)

Best wishes,
Robert

I'm all for any other 2nd Doctor related stuff from WGP.

In the 50th Anniversary year I think it's terrible that Pat's era is largely being ignored for merchandise as if he hadn't been able to win audiences over as being a new incarnation of the same character that William Hartnell played the show would have been cancelled....it very nearly did during his first series.

The term "savior" gets bandied about a fair bit in Who, usually to entirely undeserving people involved with the revival but Pat genuinely did keep it going and everyone who's got work in the show since owes him a debt of gratitude.

I'm all for any other 2nd Doctor related stuff from WGP.

In the 50th Anniversary year I think it's terrible that Pat's era is largely being ignored for merchandise as if he hadn't been able to win audiences over as being a new incarnation of the same character that William Hartnell played the show would have been cancelled....it very nearly did during his first series.

The term "savior" gets bandied about a fair bit in Who, usually to entirely undeserving people involved with the revival but Pat genuinely did keep it going and everyone who's got work in the show since owes him a debt of gratitude.

You're exactly right. Pat doesn't get the love because most of his episodes are missing. His portrayal of the. Doctor was brilliant. If anybody wan s to see an awesome reconstruction of the lost episodes, go to Loose Cannon's website and get free copies of the recons. Made by fans for fans and a darn good job. Also check out here on WGP's thread, they're also doing numerous versions of the Troughton plus my favorite companions Jamie McCrimmon and Zoe Herriot. Costumes to go with them also. I've got all 3 of the offerings(Doc,Jamie, and Zoe) and they're most cool. WGP even designed the costumes and heads to be in proportion with the actual actors. Doc was5'6",Jamie 5'6" and Zoe 5'. If you put the Doc and Jamie on Hot Toys TTMttm 22 slim, they're just the right height.the Zoe on an Obitsu 25cm figure small bust has perfect proportions for her. Great stuff quality handmade for an awesome price.

Last edited:

It was great to wake up to a WGP newletter in my inbox, Rick. I'm really glad you guys are doing that.

Happy Passover & Easter, everyone!

I would love to be put on the list for K-9, if possible :)

You're exactly right. Pat doesn't get the love because most of his episodes are missing. His portrayal of the. Doctor was brilliant. If anybody wan s to see an awesome reconstruction of the lost episodes, go to Loose Cannon's website and get free copies of the recons. Made by fans for fans and a darn good job. Also check out here on WGP's thread, they're also doing numerous versions of the Troughton plus my favorite companions Jamie McCrimmon and Zoe Herriot. Costumes to go with them also. I've got all 3 of the offerings(Doc,Jamie, and Zoe) and they're most cool. WGP even designed the costumes and heads to be in proportion with the actual actors. Doc was5'6",Jamie 5'6" and Zoe 5'. If you put the Doc and Jamie on Hot Toys TTMttm 22 slim, they're just the right height.the Zoe on an Obitsu 25cm figure small bust has perfect proportions for her. Great stuff quality handmade for an awesome price.

Have you read the biography of Pat that was written by his son Michael?

It's a fascinating look into Pat's life and career in general and there's a lot of great info about his time as the Doctor so I'd recommend you check it out if you haven't already.

In addition to the various recons "The Ice Warriors" is also being released on DVD this year with the missing bits animated :yess:

The initial WIP footage of the animation isn't very encouraging but hopefully the end product will be better and in any case it'll still be nice to have another story on DVD.

Rick ( WilliamShatnersToupee ) is a good friend so I'm in the loop with the Classic era projects that WGP are doing.

Last edited:

Rick ( WilliamShatnersToupee ) is a good friend so I'm in the loop with the Classic era projects that WGP are doing.

That last sentence is SOOOO random in the context of your paragraph dude. Do I even want to know what secret you must have accidentally announced before you edited it out before I got home from work to see this? (laugh) :wink1:

That last sentence is SOOOO random in the context of your paragraph dude. Do I even want to know what secret you must have accidentally announced before you edited it out before I got home from work to see this? (laugh) :wink1:

Nah, I'm just that random sometimes :lol

Hey Rick,
Any word on when Sarah will be available?

Hi Classic Whovians. For all of you that bought or will buy one of the awesome WGP Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart heads, I commissioned One Sixth Scale King to do the UNIT shoulder patches. You can pick them up online at Robin's website. This will help you finish out your Brig figures. Fyi,they're only $1.25 a piece and are spot on. Here is a link for the page containing the patches. Just fyi,I had him do both the green and khaki versions for both colors of the Brig's uniform. https://onesixthscaleking.com/shop/...-c-47?osCsid=de2f17f1774d4cba5eeb8c14c8a6a746

Last edited:

Hi Classic Whovians. For all of you that bought or will buy one of the awesome WGP Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart heads, I commissioned One Sixth Scale King to do the UNIT shoulder patches. You can pick them up online at Robin's website. This will help you finish out your Brig figures. Fyi,they're only $1.25 a piece and are spot on. Here is a link for the page containing the patches. Just fyi,I had him do both the green and khaki versions for both colors of the Brig's uniform. https://onesixthscaleking.com/shop/...-c-47?osCsid=de2f17f1774d4cba5eeb8c14c8a6a746

Nice work! :clap

May try to get some of those unit patches

Ada, has some new Doctor heads out, the 7th looked better than the one I had, and for once I didn't have to repair the face too much. She must have either gotten a better caster, or it's just because it's a new sculpt.

img1966nk.jpg

img1969wh.jpg

img1975x.jpg

img1973jo.jpg

I made it a neckless as because as usual her neck was too short for a ht body.

Years before I started WGP with Sean, I ran a lot of group orders on here (about five years ago back when you still could) and hired Ada to make the Troughton, Tom Baker, and Leela she offers (and her Supernatural Sam and Dean, Tall Man, and her Bill Murray).

I am not sure how many sculptors she actually had working for her, but she must have had different ones because the quality of her work varied so wildly. Still, her heads seemed so much better then than now. I had an okay relationship with her for a time, and by that I mean I got to give critiques and she (or whomever) would do a few revisions for me per head.

Ultimately her QC and poor attitude really killed my relationship with her. A sculpt might look pretty good in pics but then once she cast it it could come with a super thin pinched-in nose (Dean, Bill Murray) ruining everybody in the group orders casts who paid for it and she would refuse to make a new mold to fix it.

Then when knew she was being hired for all of them through group commissions and we were all paying in substantially higher portions together to get as character made, she would go ahead and offer that head as buy "two, get three free" before the sculpt was even approved by us as finished and would send the heads out to other customers weeks before we would even get our group order in, pissing them off, and we were the ones who commissioned her!

It also made it pointless to do group orders anymore because everyone felt so burned by the way she treated us. Other people actually had the gall to write me and say why would I pay in a group commission to get the character made when I can just wait for you to pay on your own and then get it off Ada as a free head?

Yeah, **** you very much, too.

(The answer is to get your favorite character made).

I really feel Ada shows actual outright contempt to all of her customers by her continued poor QC and attitude towards them and by how low quality the sculpting is on the heads she puts out now. Don't get me wrong, she was always hit or miss, but now 90% of the time it doesn't even seem like she tries. Back with me some of the sculptors actually seemed to try.
Another odd tale, she didn't want me to give her multiple photo reference of a character from different angles when I hired her. No 3/4 views. No side views. Just a single straight on head shot (though for mine she recieved several views). How the heck can you sculpt a person with just a single image? That explains pretty much everything you see sculpted from her. She just doesn't care. You get what you pay for. I have nothing good to say about her.

Last edited:

I have pretty much a similar opinion. I get hers as a last resort, I fully expected to have to fill holes with magic sculpt and be unable to paint it the way I wanted because it was a crappy cast. I did have to do it with the hat, but not the head for once. Based on previous experience, you have a 50/50 chance of getting something decent. Never ask her to paint anything, she half asses it. One of her old jobs was so bad, I was convinced I could do better(and I did) so it led me to gaining the confidence just to do it myself from then on, and I eventually got okay at painting. And the expression isn't the best, and the likeness isn't 100%, but it was better than my crappy attempts to modify a sculpt.

Back