Statue Weta's Gandalf the Grey Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5959885571_a44316a15e_b.jpg

5960451174_cbde7086d0_b.jpg

more pics here: https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37506

Think thats being true to the movie in how the material was supposed to look.

I think Weta should try and figure out whether they want to be accurate to the movies or the book. The colour scheme of this statue in no way resembles either the actual costume worn by Ian McKellan or the colour scheme as it appeared on film. McKellan,depending on the scene wore one of two cloaks and niether were remotely blue in colour...they were both brownish-grey and made to look more greyish on film. The inner sleeves, which also acted as mitts, were light grey, both on the actual costume and on film....they were never green. And the actual hat worn by McKellan was light grey, which is exactly how it appeared on film....it was not blue. The only accurate colouring on the entire statue seems to be the robe. :slap

Last edited:
I figured there must be some logical reason for that. Thanks, Josh! :hi5:

No problem. I remember in one of the docs with the EE that they did the same with the Elven cloaks. They would be given certain colors to do certain things in a scene or scenes.

:lol The things we moan about!

At least the costume looks more like the outfit GTG had in LOTR, and actually has some detailing and texture, as opposed to the shiny maquette. :monkey3

For the money this is a top notch excellent piece!.....period

Yep totally agree, while being rather smaller than the gtg maquette they seem to have captured a better likness and pose.
I know the maquette line is supposed to be dynamic and not directly from any pose in the films but i think SS did overplay and lost the esscence of Gandalf.

Both pieces are top notch. I think the Weta piece does a great job capturing the wise leader while the SS piece captures a hidden power in GTG we see for just a few moments. There is nothing lost about GTG in either piece period.

Edit: Also the detailing in the cloth on both pieces is exceptional. Nothing lost in either piece in that regard either. :)

No one should complain about this beautiful piece considering the price one paid...awesome looking statue...silly debate over blue or gray colors used...easily touched up if needed...I think it's gorgeous just by the photos....true it's small but for the money it cannot be beat...IMHO

Thanks, but I think I'm pretty capable of determining the cost to quality ratio of a product on my own. :wink1: And while I do agree that based on the price the overall sculpt [size/quality] and pose are good, and the likeness somewhat passable......the colour scheme has nothing to do with the cost of the statue. Unless of course grey and is now more expensive than blue and green. Seems to me that Weta with their GTG 1/4 scale bust had no problem perfectly matching the colours of that bust with the on-screen colours and that bust was cheaper in cost than this statue. So I don't have a clue as to whether Weta messed up or deliberately decided to take liberities with the colouring of what is supposed to be a movie-related statue, but either way, that in itself would disqualify me from ever wanting it in my collection. :dunno

Yep totally agree, while being rather smaller than the gtg maquette they seem to have captured a better likness and pose.
I know the maquette line is supposed to be dynamic and not directly from any pose in the films but i think SS did overplay and lost the esscence of Gandalf.

Pose preference is of course subjective and based on the personal preferences of each and every individual so why people continue trying to push their own preferences on others is beyond me.......and while you may be the only person on the face of the earth who believes Weta's new Gandalf likeness is better than the SS maquette, you are certainly entitled to your opinion........:rotfl

Last edited:
Back