Weta Workshops The Hobbit Motherload Of Goodies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do think its nicer and being hand made worth the price difference. That being said the parchment version I'm sure is very nice and ill own both in the end.

Man I don't get how licensing works. Seems completely odd that two different companies would offer pretty much the same niche item geared to the same audience. Ironic that Noble is the cheaper alternative.

Man I don't get how licensing works. Seems completely odd that two different companies would offer pretty much the same niche item geared to the same audience. Ironic that Noble is the cheaper alternative.

Well, really I don't think they are geared to the same audience, other then bing a Hobbit fan.

The noble one is really aimed at those that just want something which is like what they see in the film and can display on the side or at the back or even unrolled and stuck to a wall. It's cheap enough that one could do a bunch of things with it and not care too much if it gets a little damage or whatever.

The Weta one is more for the niche "collectors" market, for those that ant an exact replica, hand made by the person who made the one you do see in the film. Yes, being hand made means it will have some minor variations compared to what is in the film, but short of getting that actual one (not going to happen), you are able to order and display one that could have just as easily been film used and without having the two in hand to directly compare, one would never know there was any difference.

But yes, given Noble's usual track record, it is a little funny that they are the ones selling the dirt cheap version.

I was surprised to learn that the contract is not written but also just printed onto the paper. I guess its unrealistic to think someone would sit there and write all that calligraphy but for 450 bucks I sort of expected something more than fancy paper and a color laser printer.

Here's my initial preview pic of the contract.

Contract Bilbo - Preview by theguru1, on Flickr

While having each one handwritten would have been nice, it would have taken hours and hours to do each one and then you could argue it wasn't an exact replica, as each hand writting would have been different.

Mind you, without being told each one isn't handwritten, looking at it you'd be hard pressed to know.

I was surprised to learn that the contract is not written but also just printed onto the paper. I guess its unrealistic to think someone would sit there and write all that calligraphy but for 450 bucks I sort of expected something more than fancy paper and a color laser printer.

Agreed, I probably can't get in on this for that price.

Too bad it comes in a non-descript cardboard box.

Yeah, but I don't display my boxes, so that's a non issue.

I know some people say its a lot of money and I guess it is a bit, but at the same time, it's not much more then just 2 Bilbo statues or 1 Bilbo and 1 Gandalf, that many people got. So to anyone lie me who has 50+ items in ones collection, by getting the Contract, I got 1 less item.

Nah, its a great item. If I didn't want to try and swing so many items from this era of collecting Middle-Earth I'd get it. The Noble one I got is really nice as well so I'm with having to skip this one (for now at least).

the contract looks pretty damn nice. Does anyone know when they will be available again?

It's going to be available for a while I imagine as it is down to the artist's descretion as to how many he does.
It looks a great piece for me to get at some point ,depending on how it comes across on screen , as I imagine it as a bit of a comedy prop to set the scene for Bilbo to begin to realise what his adventure may involve ( the contract scene in the book seems to me to refer to a small side note written out as an afterthought and left on the mantlepiece by Thorin after Bilbo mentioned one) :peace

It's my understanding that the next 2 batches have already been pre-ordered, so my guess would be a few months.

Thanks for the info. The will help me plan for the next month or so and not just sit around waiting for this item. :wave

20 dollar frame bought at Michaels
IMG_1759.jpg

Back