Statue Weta Workshop's The Balrog Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys - can you help me?

I've never ordered from WETA direct. When the statue begins to sell out / hit a low quantity will there be a warning on the WETA website page? Like Sideshow does? I'm keeping an eye on it while I decide whether to get it.

Hey guys - can you help me?

I've never ordered from WETA direct. When the statue begins to sell out / hit a low quantity will there be a warning on the WETA website page? Like Sideshow does? I'm keeping an eye on it while I decide whether to get it.

It will say low stock on the picture before you click on it.

I forget how big or tall is this Balrog again. I was just wondering if you can display it side by side together with the other baddies like sauron PF or dark rider of mordor PF. I will hate buying this statue if it looks like a midget compared to the other statues

I forget how big or tall is this Balrog again. I was just wondering if you can display it side by side together with the other baddies like sauron PF or dark rider of mordor PF. I will hate buying this statue if it looks like a midget compared to the other statues

He is 20.5" tall. Compared to Sauron and the DROM he will look small, but not tiny. He is about the same as a regular PF like the orcs. I got the Balrog LSB to display with my PFs, it is more in line with their scale. I plan on getting this guy too though and just put him away from the PFs if it does not look right.

You put him next to a piece that's three feet tall he will look shorter as he is. However, there ain't nothing tiny about this guy.

I must be the only one doesn't like the idea of a Balrog statue. I have always pictured Balrog as a ghost composed of fire and fume. He wasn't all solid in LotR and that's what made him so creepy and powerful to me. A statue however has to be solid so the mighty fire demon ends up looking like a satyr on steroids.

It looks great per se but it's not a Balrog in my book. Gotta pick up the dragon instead.

I must be the only one doesn't like the idea of a Balrog statue. I have always pictured Balrog as a ghost composed of fire and fume. He wasn't all solid in LotR and that's what made him so creepy and powerful to me. A statue however has to be solid so the mighty fire demon ends up looking like a satyr on steroids.

It looks great per se but it's not a Balrog in my book. Gotta pick up the dragon instead.

Hmmm bold words for a newbie eyyy. first and foremost welcome to the forum bro. secondly everybody is welcome here to express their opinions whether bad or good. That what makes america so great. But do it with a little more discretion. Everyone around here doesn't have the same thoughts as you and of course i can make the argument that you have never seen this in person. People tend to dislike things when they dont see it in their own eyes. Secondly i agree with your description of the balrog...a ghost composed of fire and fume. Not solid. Well how on god's green earth are you gonna be able to replicate that in real life without giving the statue some solid type of foundation. Yeah it takes the realism away from the movie but this is the only way it can be done and reproduce so we LOTR collectors will have the chance to own it. So like i said you can utter your opinion here but make sure that it makes some sense.

ive never thought of Balrogs as ghosts. Tolkien doesn't even describe them like that at all. So for me the statues are what a Balrog looks like. To each their own.

I don't remember a rule where you can't make a ghost statue solid anyway. Even is he was an ethereal being he could probably make himself look all solid if he wanted to so that's what we will go with.:lol

Problem is, wasn't the Balrog not covered in flame, etc... when we first seen him?
Didn't he have to "flame on" so-to-speak.

I never read the books, only seen the movies.

His flames are cracking through the body and he does have a smoke cloud that surrounds him a bit. This is fairly close to how it is in the books.

At the end of the day, we should remember that this is a statue of Peter Jackson's interpretation of the balrog, which we saw on screen. There have been many different artists's renderings of the balrog, all based on Tolkien's descriptions. This is just one of those.

But a fine one it is. I think Jackson did such a good job on this rendering that it has become somewhat embedded in my mind as how it looks.

Back to the statue itself, do people think this might go the route of barad-dur and be available for less than retail on ebay from retailers? I think I picked up the BD for 499 before it sold out from someone moving old stock.

Possible, I suppose. I'll be curious to see what this does since its a character that has been in such demand over the years.

Back