'Weta: The Collector's Guide' book

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great book!! So much cool stuff in there and seeing all the pieces from the lines they've done over the years. Its something that I think fans of Weta and LOTR should get without a doubt. I'll be reviewing this book soon for TORn and we just might have something special planned for readers. :)

As one who doesn't post much, I have all the originals by Weta and I think it's an awesome book. I do have to say however the paint app difference does show! The Weta paint apps look better than the china paint apps for sure! Even better about the book is the stuff they never released like LURTZ :(

There's other stuff on there that's unreleased that I wish they did. Even the shields! Did you see Zirak-zigil? Even an Eowyn statue!

This is a "must get" for anyone who collects LOTR stuff by Sideshow/Weta. GREAT breakdown of all pieces, release dates, ed sizes, etc. Cost is extraordinarily low considering the quality of paper and photography.

Great book - got mine at SDCC too and got it signed by many of the Weta crew.

It was interesting hearing the story of how the had to track down some of the pieces from private collections so they could get good pics.

For the price - this book is a steal.

Any chance of getting elsewhere other than SDCC or weta, the shipping weta offers is ridiculous high for countries outside US...it will cost me about 42 USD for the shipping!!

Please provide any information on the sale of this book elsewhere, if any! thanks!! :yess:

VERY EXCITING NEWS: A quote from Mr Daniel Falconer at WETA :hi5:

"I'm so glad you guys are picking up on this stuff and enjoying it. It was one of my aims in making this book that we share as many as possible of the unreleased items that we've accumulated over the years. For some of these pieces there are still good reasons why they will probably never see the light of release, but in other cases there's certainly a chance they might make it out if there's significant enough demand.

So, if you see something in there that you like, please make some noise!
It'd be great to be able to do a second volume or update of the book some day down the track and be able to turn around the release status of some of these pieces thanks to fan enthusiasm. It's no secret on these boards that I'm a mini helmet proponent!

And thanks everyone for the warm words of encouragement. I'm so pleased the book has been so well received."

Please provide any information on the sale of this book elsewhere, if any! thanks!! :yess:

I'm thinking of getting one. Do you want to get one and spilt the shipping cost?

Fellow Sgean here :1-1:

I got mine yesterday, at the same time as the Neville SDCC bust Wetanut (Rumi) got for me!

Incredible book, and it's nice to see some photos of the unreleased stuff they did, and to see what else they wanted to release.

They also explain why they went with the plain black bases:

"The understated, elegant simplicity of the base design was specifically chosen and art directed by Richard Taylor, making the choice to stay away from a highly ornamental or elaborately themed base to evoke a more refined, classical sensibility".

And i think they succeeded and that's why the old SSW statues have a timeless feel to them. It's great that SS are doing such fantastic looking bases, but as i've always said, even through people taking the mick out of me for my belief, the black bases make it feel more like an artistic character study.

Also interesting to read that the original intention was to release all Fellowship members in a way they could all be displayed together, hence the pointing pose of GTG, but the plan changed over time.

Other interesting tidbits - Saruman was the first statue designed to get the license, Liv sat for her sculpture, a Gwaihir statue was originally designed with Gandalf on his back, but was delayed and re-visited for ROTK with the intention of having him rescuing Frodo and Sam from Mount Doom, but the statue had deteriorated. Galadriel was originally designed as the 'dark' version from FOTR, the Galadhrim bust was based on sculptor Jamie Beswarick, and they had sculpted busts of Eowyn (partially) and a Warg, and planned to do many more!

Back