Weta Original Aragorn vs PF Aragorn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all you want is one Aragorn fig and you can live with Sideshow's tailoring attempts, go for the PF. If you like to have more LotR characters keep the Weta Aragorn, there's not much completist hope for the PF line imho.

:confused::confused::confused: They seem quite good in this case for a mass-produced figure. :confused::confused::confused:

If all you want is one Aragorn fig and you can live with Sideshow's tailoring attempts, go for the PF. If you like to have more LotR characters keep the Weta Aragorn, there's not much completist hope for the PF line imho.

How much completist hope is there in the SSW line? :confused:

I like my WETA Aragorn. I think it looks great. No, it doesn't look like Viggo at all but actually matches how I imagined Strider from the books better than Viggo did in the movie. With that said, I am surprised WETA didn't at least make an attempt at Viggo's likeness since the sculpts were supposedly based on the actor's portrayal. I can see how that bothers some but it's no big deal for me. I'd also be surprised if more than 500 of these were produced.

I like my WETA Aragorn. I think it looks great. No, it doesn't look like Viggo at all but actually matches how I imagined Strider from the books better than Viggo did in the movie. With that said, I am surprised WETA didn't at least make an attempt at Viggo's likeness since the sculpts were supposedly based on the actor's portrayal. I can see how that bothers some but it's no big deal for me. I'd also be surprised if more than 500 of these were produced.

I'm pretty sure they did try, but I've heard Viggo's facial structure is very difficult to sculpt accurately.

i have both. and i love both. they are 2 different beasts. the weta statue is very "old school" its very nostalgic already for me. reminds me of when the first LOTR trailer came out and all the hype was at its peak. the PF is new school. bigger, cloth, leather etc. and it looks very much like viggo. i enjoy having both. they really compliment each other. besides. its aragorn! hes one of my all time favorite characters.

How much completist hope is there in the SSW line? :confused:

Well, with Weta there are lots of options to choose from already plus lots of customs going around for the characters they missed out. Even if Sideshow would try and continue this line beyond the key characters (of which they already messed up two pieces), who'd be able to display all of them in 1/4 scale?

My point about the completionist aspect is that I HAVE the full Weta statue line but now I have decided since the PF is so amazing, I'm willing to let go some of the Weta statues. It's a difficult to break up a complete collection but I agree the sculpt just isn't that great and I don't need 4 aragorns. Plus it will fetch a good price at least!

Well, with Weta there are lots of options to choose from already plus lots of customs going around for the characters they missed out.

True, there is a huge amount of SSW statue's to choose from, and yes, there are some amazing customs available for Denethor, Eomer on Firefoot, etc...but they are not SSW...and they aren't cheap. I know, I've ordered them.

Even if Sideshow would try and continue this line beyond the key characters (of which they already messed up two pieces), who'd be able to display all of them in 1/4 scale?

No doubt, SS has messed up on a few pieces, and I'm pretty confident they will mess up again...just as SSW certainly messed up on numerous occasions, but certainly your concern is legitimate...1/4 scale statue's take up alot of room.

I also have both and also love them both for totally different reasons. To compare is unfair to both manufacturers...apples and oranges in my book.

I'm pretty sure they did try, but I've heard Viggo's facial structure is very difficult to sculpt accurately.

They sure did, one only needs to watch the Gollum DVD to see that; and the old rumor about deliberately working without Viggo's likeness has been laid to rest awhile ago.

Well, I guess the real question is does one like Dolls better!!!:D:rotfl

I guess it also depends on if you have one or the other.....;)

I also have both and also love them both for totally different reasons. To compare is unfair to both manufacturers...apples and oranges in my book.

I agree. I had both and loved having owned both. I even like my 1:6th figure.

Back