WARNING - Hasbro 14" Electronic Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to share something with my fellow collectors who may own this piece, the 14" Electronic Talking Hasbro Darth Vader with the 3 piece reveal helmet. I was cleaning up today and took mine out of the container it's in to check it out and part of his "pleather" body suit felt stick, I touched it a bit more and it pealed away. Apparently, it's not even pleather, it's cloth with pleathery stuff like painted on. So if you own this piece and want to take care of it, take note, and I imagine Vader's using a similar piece will be this way too, which includes the Darth Vader - Darth Maul Sith Lords 2-Pack Vader.

I could have told you that.. I bought one for my custom.. and it fell off right in front of my hands... boy I gotta tell you.. I was pissed!

I could have told you that.. I bought one for my custom.. and it fell off right in front of my hands... boy I gotta tell you.. I was pissed!

Ya, goes to show that SSC pieces really are worth more money spent on them than Hasbro, not that there was much room to not think that anyway, but to see how Hasbro kept in the $20-$30 range really is a WTF moment.

Yeah, I think so... He showed it to me when I first visited and how it was just rotting away, falling apart. So sad too, such a badass figure (his custom that is).

You know it is a sin, Les devoted so much time into making it and then it rots away. Like Maulfan said, there was a reason the Hasbro stuff was $20-$30. That Vader figure can't be more than 10 years old, it should still be in good shape, especially if it's still in the box! I'm willing to bet , at least I hope, that in ten years my Sideshow stuff will still hold up.

You know it is a sin, Les devoted so much time into making it and then it rots away. Like Maulfan said, there was a reason the Hasbro stuff was $20-$30. That Vader figure can't be more than 10 years old, it should still be in good shape, especially if it's still in the box! I'm willing to bet , at least I hope, that in ten years my Sideshow stuff will still hold up.

My Sith Lords Vader is in perfect shape. No rotting/peeling whatsoever. Same goes for my Ultimate Villain Vader.

the earlier vaders had the fake vinyl suit. it was a spadexish material with a layer of plastic melted over it. the plastic dries out, and eventualy peels off.

ugh! Don't tell me this. I fear for my Hurricane Vader! I think Glenn used the old Hasbro Vader suit for mine (which is from 2005).

Time to get some Armor-All or something.

Ooooh. The Hurricane Vaders.....now that would hurt if one of those expensive beauties started melting away.

I sold mine last year. I bought it from Miejer in 97 when it came out, and opened it -- and the costume was still fine when I sold it.

I have two of those and they are both fine. I think sometimes it pays to live in an arid desert climate. :D

a lot depends on how the thing is stored. inside ac will definitely last longer than outside storage or in a garage with loads of humidity or extremely dry conditions.

I have two of those and they are both fine. I think sometimes it pays to live in an arid desert climate. :D

Or Canada. :)

My Vaders are fine. My Masterpiece Megatron, which is notorious for rusting already, still doesn't have a spec of the red stuff on him. Yeah, it may be freezing up here for most of the year, but at least our toys stay in mint condition. :)

a lot depends on how the thing is stored. inside ac will definitely last longer than outside storage or in a garage with loads of humidity or extremely dry conditions.

Mine's been stored in a plastic bin in my room for years and not even a year ago I had it out for a shuffling around. On mine, it's only his back shoulders thankfully so the cape and such conceals it.

As for the Hurricane Vader's, it sucks but I'd say there is the chance depending on which he uses. The ROTS Ultimate Vader feels more rigid and like much different material so maybe that one can hold up.

Sorry to put the scare in people but better to know now and maybe prevent it with your collection than to not know and get the surprise like I did.

Mine's been stored in a plastic bin in my room for years and not even a year ago I had it out for a shuffling around. On mine, it's only his back shoulders thankfully so the cape and such conceals it.

As for the Hurricane Vader's, it sucks but I'd say there is the chance depending on which he uses. The ROTS Ultimate Vader feels more rigid and like much different material so maybe that one can hold up.

Sorry to put the scare in people but better to know now and maybe prevent it with your collection than to not know and get the surprise like I did.

don't apologize, it's a good thing for people to know what they may have to face. i had some sony headphones that were always kept in a climate controlled environment. i went to use them one day and the pleather around the ears was cracked in tiny little pieces. needless to say, i was picking up pleather pieces for weeks. it was like they just self-destructed.

I wanted to share something with my fellow collectors who may own this piece, the 14" Electronic Talking Hasbro Darth Vader with the 3 piece reveal helmet. I was cleaning up today and took mine out of the container it's in to check it out and part of his "pleather" body suit felt stick, I touched it a bit more and it pealed away. Apparently, it's not even pleather, it's cloth with pleathery stuff like painted on. So if you own this piece and want to take care of it, take note, and I imagine Vader's using a similar piece will be this way too, which includes the Darth Vader - Darth Maul Sith Lords 2-Pack Vader.

this is why i DONT use these suits anymore, some have been fine and last no problem but others even bought NIB have virtually fallen apart once opened.

Im making one for Ian1138 which does use these suits, seems fine at the mo, but once ive spoken with him itll get replaced.

Back