Wall mounted display cabinet for sixth scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Lion

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I am looking to get a wall mounted display cabinet to display 1/6 figures.

So far, I have found 2 options.

Both from Ikea, the besta and the galant.

Besta
besta-wall-cabinet__0117557_PE272617_S4.JPG

Specs:
Width: 240 cm
Depth: 20 cm
Height: 64 cm

Price: around $500
Galant
galant-wall-cabinet-with-sliding-doors__0132748_PE287616_S4.JPG

Specs:
Width: 160 cm
Depth: 38 cm
Height: 40 cm

Price: around $300
I live in NZ and locally i had no luck finding one and i have to import ikea products from a dealer. Which means this would cost more than the retail price.
Even if I find anything similar locally it would cost much more than these.

I would like to ask for some opinions, for which would be better to display 1/6 figures.

I have 4 detolfs but i use those to display my gundam model kits and i dont have much floor space left.

The galant has a depth of 38 which is similar to the detolf.
height of 40, higher than the height of 1 detolf shelve so displaying a 12" figures would not be a problem.
It is 160 cm wide. I measured by iron man figures and each needs about 15cm of width.
So with the Galant i can fit 10 lines of figures, with 3 in each line.

The only thing is that if i put 3/line the ones at the back would not be visible.

The Besta is 64 cm high and has interchangeable shelves so i can have 2 levels.
20 cm deep which means only 1 figure/line.
240cm wide, will be able to fit around 16 lines. So about 30-32 figures.

Only concern is that the besta's shelves are not glass, so would have to put LED on 2 tiers.

What do you think is the better choice? I am very new to the hobby and at this moment only have 4 figures, but i am looking to get more the rest of this year.

Some comments and recommendations are welcome. If you want to recommend another cabinet then feel free.

I actually like something like this guy have for his iron man display
4.jpg

Thanks in advance guys

Going through this same headache myself while redesigning my home.

I've always used Detolfs and will still use 2 of them, but now I've added 3 Besta units and was shopping the Galant unit too.

For shelving in the Besta you can replace the stock shelves with glass shelves called Inreda that are very cheap - 5 bucks I think.

I hope someone here has input regarding the Galant. I recall seeing this unit mounted in an advertisement for their office line and it looked good.

Going through this same headache myself while redesigning my home.

I've always used Detolfs and will still use 2 of them, but now I've added 3 Besta units and was shopping the Galant unit too.

For shelving in the Besta you can replace the stock shelves with glass shelves called Inreda that are very cheap - 5 bucks I think.

I hope someone here has input regarding the Galant. I recall seeing this unit mounted in an advertisement for their office line and it looked good.

The galant is cheaper, but i reckon it wouldnt be too nice when you fit too much in it as you just cant see the back rows.

The galant is cheaper, but i reckon it wouldnt be too nice when you fit too much in it as you just cant see the back rows.

That's true. You could elevate a secondary row of 1/6 figures I guess.

The Galant is far wider, so if this is going to be installed into a small room I think the Besta is the best choice.

For $500.00 could you not get good quality solid wood units made?
As that seems very expensive
Yeah would have to look into that, I can see the cost being high though since labour is expensive in New Zealand.

That's true. You could elevate a secondary row of 1/6 figures I guess.

The Galant is far wider, so if this is going to be installed into a small room I think the Besta is the best choice.

Im asking joda76 about it, he said he will test if he can put 2 levels of 1/6 figures in the besta, the advertised height is 64cm on the ikea website but taking into account the thickness of the frame + the wooden shelve you would think that in the end it each level that is divided by the shelve is less then 30cm in height, which is the height of most 1/6 figures. So even if it fits 2 rows of figures it will be very tight, and something that is abit bigger than 30cm wont fit. Something like the PPS red snapper at 34cm.

No the besta is wider at 240cm, galant is only 160cm. The gallant is deeper.

Im asking joda76 about it, he said he will test if he can put 2 levels of 1/6 figures in the besta, the advertised height is 64cm on the ikea website but taking into account the thickness of the frame + the wooden shelve you would think that in the end it each level that is divided by the shelve is less then 30cm in height, which is the height of most 1/6 figures. So even if it fits 2 rows of figures it will be very tight, and something that is abit bigger than 30cm wont fit. Something like the PPS red snapper at 34cm.

No the besta is wider at 240cm, galant is only 160cm. The gallant is deeper.

I didn't mean installing a shelf and splitting the case in half, I just meant adding maybe a 2 inch ledge/step in the rear to prop a second row of figures on.

And yes, the Galant is deeper that's what I meant but I fudged up :thud::slap

Last edited:
I didn't eman installing a shelf and splitting the case in half, I just meant adding maybe a 2 inch ledge/step in the rear to prop a second row of figures on.

And yes, the Galant is deeper that's what I meant but I fudged up :thud::slap
Thats actually a brilliant idea! The galant is deep enough to add elevation at the back of the cabinet.

And Joda76 confirmed to me that splitting the cabinet in half wont fit 1/6 figures. So it would be a 30cm figure +-28cm gap.

Thats actually a brilliant idea! The galant is deep enough to add elevation at the back of the cabinet.

And Joda76 confirmed to me that splitting the cabinet in half wont fit 1/6 figures. So it would be a 30cm figure +-28cm gap.

Haha glad you liked it and confirmed the interior spacing.

Which cabinet are you going with? I can't decide :gah:

Haha glad you liked it and confirmed the interior spacing.

Which cabinet are you going with? I can't decide :gah:

I think the Besta would be better, ive gone through all 74 pages of the besta love thread and saw few pictures of the besta with a half size shelve put in.

Here is uscmhicks picture that i saw in that thread.
collection3_zps933ee46c.jpg

I think if my eyes are correct then he put in a wooden shelve at the back half of the besta, so its raised a little bit. Not halfway but better than having them on the same level and obstructing view.

Can fit about 8 per besta shelve. But the besta that i showed on the first post is only 20cm deep, while his I think are 40cm deep.

Dang but its so expensive for me in New Zealand.

New Zealand why dont you have IKEA!?!?!?!:gah::gah::gah:

I think the Besta would be better, ive gone through all 74 pages of the besta love thread and saw few pictures of the besta with a half size shelve put in.

Here is uscmhicks picture that i saw in that thread.
collection3_zps933ee46c.jpg

I think if my eyes are correct then he put in a wooden shelve at the back half of the besta, so its raised a little bit. Not halfway but better than having them on the same level and obstructing view.

Can fit about 8 per besta shelve. But the besta that i showed on the first post is only 20cm deep, while his I think are 40cm deep.

Dang but its so expensive for me in New Zealand.

New Zealand why dont you have IKEA!?!?!?!:gah::gah::gah:

That picture is exactly what I had in mind, actually I think I'ver seen that before in the collection threads and remembered it :lol

The spacing of the figures there is perfect imo, any more and it may appear cramped and cluttered.

I got the galant and I really like it. here is a bad Iphone pic of it

C465C724-11B0-4C2B-B235-8EEE15B35EA5-21540-00000C47226B0D2E_zpsf6d12f84.jpg

I'll try to get better ones tonight.

Sweet! Thanks for posting and please post more when you can & if it isn't much trouble, a few pics of how you wired it would be great. :hi5:

I'm so torn between the 2: Besta wall or Galant

I keep going back and forth in my head for which of these cabinets would be better for my bedroom. I went with the Besta's in the living room b/c I could afford bigger units and it turned out great. But, in the bedroom I don't want a wall unit to look bulky/chunky, yet at the same time I'd like it to hold a solid amount of figures. :gah::thud:

Here it is better lit. It looks horribly crooked but it isn't in person. I couldn't get any shots of how I wired the lights. All I did was drill a hole in the back at the bottom and run it though there. There is a gap at the back where it sits on the bar mounted to the wall so it's easy to get in. You can see the white cable running down the wall. Don't mind the stupid waterfall wallpaper. We are moving in a year and I didn't feel like renovating and I think it's pretty funny.

21BF6D03-6A69-4835-91D5-9989DCB18AC0-21540-00000C5B86010FA7_zps0df24d52.jpg

:lol the wallpaper is great!

Thanks for the explanation, looks nice!

Do you have any issues with dust getting in the Galant?

Did you try any other LED besides Dioder strips? Just curious if you did and they didn't turn out well for whatever reason.

Thanks cadaver, that looks nice!!

Doesnt seem like it can fit as much figure as the besta. And it wont be able to fit bigger figures like hulk.

It does look nice though. Thanks for the picture

The clone commanders looks amazing!!!! That is exactly what I want.

:lol the wallpaper is great!

Thanks for the explanation, looks nice!

Do you have any issues with dust getting in the Galant?

Did you try any other LED besides Dioder strips? Just curious if you did and they didn't turn out well for whatever reason.

I haven't had much dust get in. It seems to keep it out much better then being open.

I didn't try any other lights in there. I was use to these from my detolfs so I stuck with them. I'm sure others will fit just fine.

Thanks cadaver, that looks nice!!

Doesnt seem like it can fit as much figure as the besta. And it wont be able to fit bigger figures like hulk.

It does look nice though. Thanks for the picture

The clone commanders looks amazing!!!! That is exactly what I want.

I'm hoping I can get the hulk in there hunched over. If not I might get a vesta for below it and put the bat pod where the avengers are. I really like the clone commanders together. I was hoping to add Wolffe but I'm having a baby in a month and need to cut back.

I haven't had much dust get in. It seems to keep it out much better then being open.

I didn't try any other lights in there. I was use to these from my detolfs so I stuck with them. I'm sure others will fit just fine.

I'm hoping I can get the hulk in there hunched over. If not I might get a vesta for below it and put the bat pod where the avengers are. I really like the clone commanders together. I was hoping to add Wolffe but I'm having a baby in a month and need to cut back.

Congratulations man, yeah family is definitely priority over hobby.

I have wolffe on pre order, I dont have any of the commanders though since im really new to the hobby and all my money have been spent on hot toys iron man.....

Anyway I think I might ask someone to build a case for me, similar to the besta. Should be cheaper for me.

Congratulations man, yeah family is definitely priority over hobby.

I have wolffe on pre order, I dont have any of the commanders though since im really new to the hobby and all my money have been spent on hot toys iron man.....

Anyway I think I might ask someone to build a case for me, similar to the besta. Should be cheaper for me.

I hear you on the Iron men. I'm waiting on the hall of armor to come out so i can display Mark I- VII. I still have no idea where to put those.

1. You can get glass shelves for Besta cabinets. INREDA glass shelves.

2. You absolutely cannot fit two rows (one above the other) of 1/6 figures in a Besta. Once you add a shelf and subtract the thickness of the shelf (even a glass one), you will have much less than 12" per shelf. The best you can do is 12.5" for one shelf and around 10" for the other. So you'll need to keep one shelf exclusively for hobbits or child figures.

3. An offset (half depth) shelf won't work in the Besta extension units with 1/6 figures - there just isn't the necessary depth.

Custom build something out of MDF - it will be super quick and super cheap. Sand all the edges and seal them well before you paint, then it will look seamless. You can easily add sliding glass doors that you can have custom cut by attaching plastic channels which can also be bought cheaply online.

Back