Vinyl Semi-Deformed Star Wars Figures from Medicom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a long diatribe composed on this subject, but I don't want to offend anyone. I'll just say that I'm saving a ton of money on the lack of preorders during ToyFair. I'll be getting the Jaws maquette as long as it's big, and that's it.

I've taken my money elsewhere and ordered products that are more in line with what I want. I've ordered only 2 SS products since SDCC (Lurtz and Leia PF's), and that's just sad to me. For me personally, SS's new product lineup since SDCC just isn't what I'm looking for.:peace

elwood49 said:
I had a long diatribe composed on this subject, but I don't want to offend anyone. I'll just say that I'm saving a ton of money on the lack of preorders during ToyFair. I'll be getting the Jaws maquette as long as it's big, and that's it.

I've taken my money elsewhere and ordered products that are more in line with what I want. I've ordered only 2 SS products since SDCC (Lurtz and Leia PF's), and that's just sad to me. For me personally, SS's new product lineup since SDCC just isn't what I'm looking for.:peace

Bravo, this is a perfect post. Especially this sentence: "For me personally, SS's new product lineup since SDCC just isn't what I'm looking for." Perfectly said - kept it respectful and made it clear that it's YOUR opinion, not everyone else's - Thanks! To me, this says that the Toy Fair offerings cover a wide variety of products - something (even if it's just one thing - Jaws for you, John Wayne for someone else, Spiderman PF for others, etc) for everyone :duff

JustinLuck said:
Elwood, you aren't pre-ordering any 1/6 SW figures?

Nah, PF only. I'm a "statue guy", so I'm just not into them. The 12"s are very well made for what they are, though.

I want to buy the PF's and have them sit in acrylic cases in my home theater. I could stare at the details on some of them all day, as they're just so amazing.

The good news is that the Obi-Wan and Predator PF's are coming next month and Grievous PF comes in April. All 3 are mind blowing, but there's going to be a long dry spell after that. I'm going to take the opportunity to give my wallet a breather, and "backfill" my collection with a few items that I've wanted for a long time.

Darth Loki said:
They're not bad for what they are. I have no idea how big they are, guessing 4-6 inches. But they are toys, and most people here want collectibles. How are these going to look next to a 12" figure or even a PF?
I think this is an example of how most people here have no understanding of these Vinyl figures.
First these are not toys. these are currently selling on ebay for $150-$200.
Don't believe me? Look here:
https://cgi.ebay.com/MEDICOM-STAR-W...ryZ48972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
https://cgi.ebay.com/MEDICOM-STAR-W...ryZ48972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
https://cgi.ebay.com/WCC18-Star-War...goryZ751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are highly sought after COLLECTABLES.
I personally don't understand the attraction, but these figures have a huge following.
And people who buy these don't usually go after the same type of collectable as those of us here. So 12" figures and PF figures might not be a part of their collection. They'll have a ton of other Vinyl figures on their shelves that will go quite well with the Medicom Star Wars figures.

Oh and these are about 8 inches tall.

screamingmetal said:
I think this is an example of how most people here have no understanding of these Vinyl figures.
First these are not toys. these are currently selling on ebay for $150-$200.
Don't believe me? Look here:
https://cgi.ebay.com/WCC18-Star-War...goryZ751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are highly sought after COLLECTABLES.
I personally don't understand the attraction, but these figures have a huge following.
And people who buy these don't usually go after the same type of collectable as those of us here. So 12" figures and PF figures might not be a part of their collection. They'll have a ton of other Vinyl figures on their shelves that will go quite well with the Medicom Star Wars figures.

Oh and these are about 8 inches tall.

LOL. Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read the "toy" comments. I actually would rather have the deformed Medicom figures than any of the SS Star Wars 12" ones. I consider the SS 12" figures more of a toy than the Medicom ones, but whatever.

I think they're pretty cool, and I know several people that have them. I could see getting one for a desk at work or something, but that's about the extent of my interest. They have been out for quite a while, though, which I think is the reason for the INFORMED people's reactions. IIRC, these hit around summertime last year.

Actually, I have found very little lately for my collection as well, but I actually see that as a good thing since I have to admit I was beginning to go overboard and finally beginning to try the understanding nature of my wife. :D

Seriously though, I think this is simply another 'Damned if you do, Damned if you don't'

SS is being criticized for what many perceived to be a lackluster offering at TF. I had to admit though I was expecting more, but I think a lot of these expectations were due to people wanting to see SS outdo itself in comparison to a HUGE SDCC last year. These expectations are just setting the stage for disappointment.

On the flip side, had SS showed their entire hand for the year at TF, you better believe they would have been criticized in a month or two because 'There haven't been any new announcements since TF' and because 'We are just having to wait entirely too long between announcement and actual ship time'

Sideshow knows what they are doing, if they didn't would we be as devoted to them? Just have to trust them and know that there are plenty of good offerings coming down the pike. Remember, good things come to those who wait. :joy

oxbeard said:
Actually, I have found very little lately for my collection as well, but I actually see that as a good thing since I have to admit I was beginning to go overboard and finally beginning to try the understanding nature of my wife. :D

Seriously though, I think this is simply another 'Damned if you do, Damned if you don't'

SS is being criticized for what many perceived to be a lackluster offering at TF. I had to admit though I was expecting more, but I think a lot of these expectations were due to people wanting to see SS outdo itself in comparison to a HUGE SDCC last year. These expectations are just setting the stage for disappointment.

On the flip side, had SS showed their entire hand for the year at TF, you better believe they would have been criticized in a month or two because 'There haven't been any new announcements since TF' and because 'We are just having to wait entirely too long between announcement and actual ship time'

Sideshow knows what they are doing, if they didn't would we be as devoted to them? Just have to trust them and know that there are plenty of good offerings coming down the pike. Remember, good things come to those who wait. :joy

Very well put..have faith in SS...thier pros and they DO know what they are doing.I like the approach of less is more...just a few announcments at a time do me good. I would hate to have everything thrown at me at ounce,then wait all year long for them to happen. I have all the faith in the world in SS, they have never let me down in the past!:D

Personally, I'm glad to see these. I've recently decided I wanted to get these and had actually planned to look for them at Comic-Con. I'm glad I won't have to pay out the rear for them now. I don't know the price, but I'm hoping somewhere between $50~$85.

I can't believe anyone is buying these when they are more and worse than the Sideshow ones. They are $50 and these $60! They aren't even as big or that good IMO.

Buttmunch said:
I can't believe anyone is buying these when they are more and worse than the Sideshow ones. They are $50 and these $60! They aren't even as big or that good IMO.

it's a proven fact that the name "star wars" on something will sell anything.:google

As has been pointed out - it's a different type of collectible for a different type of Collector. Personally I don't understand the urban vinyl craze, but then the vinyl crazies probably don't understand the freaks who like mixed media figures.

I will probably pick these up eventually. For me its not the vinyl craze as much as it is the 'deformed' aspect. Have always considered this type of collectible to be caricaturish (okay I guess I made that word up) which is right up my alley. And yes I have been a huge fan of the old Super Deformed Palm Talkers from Tomy as well as the Super Deformed Toys from the last couple of BK promos.

But like with some many other collectibles, these are generally hot or cold. You either love them or you can't figure out why in the world they are being made because surely someone is not going to waste their money on those :D

Damn, I wasn't going to get any of these but I just realised that the Stormtrooper is 10" tall. I thought these were mini toys. :eek:

Don't forget Leia and Yoda!! I understand that these costumes were held up for quite a while by Lucas until the accuracy was at 100%.

ru-50104x.jpg
ru-50101x.jpg

Back