Various Topics to Stimulate Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfchang

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm bored so decided to throw a few things out there to stimulate some discussion.

1. Go to this site and check out the Godly (that's with a capitalized "G") work of Rick Cantu:

https://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=34297

That, Ladies and Gentlemen, is museum level quality stuff. Now tell me it ain't worth MORE than the factory paints . . .

2. Now go check out what John Allred has done with Eowyn versus the Witch King:

https://www.herebemonsters.org/eowynpg.html

Are you kidding me??

The above two examples show the power of what Paintmaster can do. It also shows that while the prepaint market is growing in size and popularity thanx to the efforts of companies like Sideshow, Bowen, and Gentle Giant they can NEVER equal the granddaddy hobby that started it all: garage kits. Why? Cause the people who make these things are just CRAZY! LoL :)

And finally, this may sound like heresy to some but I really don't think all that much of the Sideshow Weta stuff. Sideshow has demonstrated conclusively that they can turn out better likenesses, better details, better accessoreis, and just plain BETTER PRODUCT than the Weta series and I don't care that the same people who did the effects did the statues. They obviously couldn't spend as much time on the Sideshow Balrog as the maquette Balrog used in the movie. There is OBVIOUSLY a quality difference and the Weta pieces are FAR from the endall-beall of Lord of the Rings collectibles. Lurtz Premium Format alone proves that.

Am I the only one here wondering why we can't get some reduxes of WitchKing in True Form, Battle Troll, and Balrog for the 1/4 Premium Series. If not 1/4 scale, hell just MAKE UP a new line like this Legendary Busts line and I'll line up.

If they can give us a 1:1 Terminator T-800, the Alien Queen, an Alien Warriror, a Predator Bust, and all those stupid Star Wars Busts (Greedo?!?!, freaking GREEDO??) why not a 3 foot Balrog or Battle Troll in full armor?

If I'm going to spend 5000 big one THAT'S where I want the cash to go.

Opinions and discussion welcome

Dennis

I do not feel in any way shape or form Rick improved the Witch King. His talent and work is shown in this piece because the work looks good. Like I said though I think customizing these pieces does nothing but mess them up. There is no way I would give you what the WK goes for on the secondary market for his redone piece. Rick knows this isn't a shot at his talent.

Those are some amazing repaints! The witch-king looks a lot better with the repaint than the original. The "diorama' of Eowyn and the Witch king is just mind-boggling. This is how SS should've done the two pieces. And I agree that most of the weta pieces weren't all that great with the exception of a few. SS can do a lot better as they have proven with the 12" Lotr line and the PF line.

carbo-fation said:
SS can do a lot better as they have proven with the 12" Lotr line and the PF line.

Really?! We only have two, and one has been received with anything but a warm welcome. Lurtz appears to be a homerun, and while I like Frodo --- many do not.

I think SS still has a lot to prove with the PF line (and the 12" comparitively); not that there past work is suspect, but for LOTR at least there is just so little to judge by.

:monkey2

I agree Frodo Premium Format is hardly a home run. Barely a single in fact.

But we all know how hard human likenesses are to do. So far Gentle Giant with their scanning technology seems to be doing the best. The Slave Leia is amazing and in my opinion their likeness of Viggo is the ONLY one to have really hit the nail on the head.

I also think the original Frodo statue from Sideshow Weta is horrible. The likeness there is nothing like Elijah Wood. People can say all they want about how it "captures" the "spirit" of the character but the bottom line is that it is a poor likeness.

So comparing the two, I'm not sure how much worse the Premium Format of Frodo is compared to the original. Of course, opinions and mileage will vary on this.

As for the Witch King by Rick, well opinions will vary on that as well but his repaint is obviously and clearly superior in my eyes. His paintjob brought out the details that were hidden by the inferior Chinese factory paints.

Dennis

jlcmsu said:
I do not feel in any way shape or form Rick improved the Witch King. His talent and work is shown in this piece because the work looks good. Like I said though I think customizing these pieces does nothing but mess them up. There is no way I would give you what the WK goes for on the secondary market for his redone piece. Rick knows this isn't a shot at his talent.
I'd be willing to bet that if Rick's version was the factory paint job, and he painted it like the current factory paintjob, you'd say the same thing.

HighElven said:
I'd be willing to bet that if Rick's version was the factory paint job, and he painted it like the current factory paintjob, you'd say the same thing.

Nah not really. I mean Rick has a ton of talent and he does a good job. He knows I think he has a ton of talent as we've talked about that I just don't think this improved the piece. I don't like the look of it. It's not appealing to my eyes but then I wasn't as wowed by the WK when I had it which is why I didn't keep it that long.

I previously saw Rick's WK and simply fall in love with his paint. Now I also see the Eowyn and there is only one word with his work: AWESOME.

dfchang said:
So far Gentle Giant with their scanning technology seems to be doing the best. The Slave Leia is amazing and in my opinion their likeness of Viggo is the ONLY one to have really hit the nail on the head.

GG scanning somehow doesn't make sense to me. If some sculptor is not sculpting, then where is the ART??

Imo, the best likeness is the ringwraith :D

A small correction but the Eowyn versus Witch King piece is NOT done by Rick Cantu but by a John Allred . . . another very talented paintmaster.

As for Gentle Giant, well it depends on what you want. I, for one, am not that interested in the "art" part I just want the best likeness possible and how it gets done doesn't matter much to me.

Gentle Giant's Viggo bust is REALLY impressive . . . I mean it blows the other Aragorn statues away.

Dennis

jlcmsu said:
Nah not really. I mean Rick has a ton of talent and he does a good job. He knows I think he has a ton of talent as we've talked about that I just don't think this improved the piece. I don't like the look of it. It's not appealing to my eyes but then I wasn't as wowed by the WK when I had it which is why I didn't keep it that long.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Whether the Witch King as a sculptured piece rocks your boat or not, I have to tell you Rick's paintjob in my eyes added TREMENDOUSLY to the piece. For me, it's not even close.

Dennis

dfchang said:
Gentle Giant's Viggo bust is REALLY impressive . . . I mean it blows the other Aragorn statues away.

Did not see it in person but pics look ok.

I agree that the previous statues might not look like viggo, however, the detail and the likeness on the SS 12" aragorn is the ultimate imo. I am very excited to get SS 12" series as soon as possible and accordingly I will decide whether I will buy the GG bust series as well or not.

Oh I'm not going to buy the bust. :) You're right in that other sculpts are better AS A WHOLE. But graded just on likeness, GG has the best.

My favorite statue of Aragorn has to be the Sideshow Weta King Elessar one. Fantastic.

Dennis

dfchang said:
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Whether the Witch King as a sculptured piece rocks your boat or not, I have to tell you Rick's paintjob in my eyes added TREMENDOUSLY to the piece. For me, it's not even close.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.:cool:

While I agree with that which has been disagreed with, I must disagree to those that would agree with the disagreement disagreeably. You can bet on that.

That might be my most confusing post yet. :confused:

Captain Aldeggon said:
While I agree with that which has been disagreed with, I must disagree to those that would agree with the disagreement disagreeably. You can bet on that.

That might be my most confusing post yet. :confused:
I completely agree.

I have always thought that the PF Frodo is horrible.. and I still do!

Ok maby it's not horrible and I wouldn't mind having it in my collection, but for 250$ it should be much much better then it is!! It's not worth 250$

And the WETA Frodo still only costed 100$ and I wouldn't say that the likness is good, but it is better then the PF one, IMO.

I think both repaints are awesome. I have not attempted to do any statue repaints, but I feel like I greatly improved MY Minis Tirith and some of the environments, but mostly Helm's Deep.

Did my work lessen the value -- only to others perhaps, but not to me.

Its all a matter of preference, after all.

Back