Action Figure UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : FINISHED!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : Kane FINAL HEAD FINALLY!!

It really looks awesome, great work!

One of the most frustrating things about this project is the fact that there were different versions of certain items in the movie. The boots Kane wore were different depending on the scene. And the gloves Kane wore were different from those worn by Dallas and Lambert (not just in color). So the original gloves I made were based on a picture of Dallas's gloves and a picture of the gloves Ripley has on at the end of the movie. But those were completely different from the ones Kane wore. So I decided to revisit the gloves and make them more like Kane's. Not 100% accurate, but closer than before.

nostromo_kane_gloves_new.jpg

Yet more detail is delivered.

How's that steam coming?

Yet more detail is delivered.

How's that steam coming?

I'm still hunting down the steam mechanism for toy trains. Have only had time to search online. Will hit the hobby shop this weekend.

That headsculpt rocks. I can't stand looking at my Kane with the facehugger face. Just looks dumb when he's standing.

Absolutely incredible modification! You bring this HT figure to the next level of perfection! I admire your dedication to this hobby!

Brilliant!
As for the "steam", I have an old train set that spanned from the early 70's to the early 80's (Märklin), and the steam system was simply a special type of oil that was put into a recipient that went in the funnel of the locomotive, which was heated up by the little light bulb used for the headlights.
Don't know if it's still the same.

Absolutely incredible modification! You bring this HT figure to the next level of perfection! I admire your dedication to this hobby!

Thanks, mgbb! :wave

How many parts of the original Hot Toys figure did you use?

BB

Brilliant!
As for the "steam", I have an old train set that spanned from the early 70's to the early 80's (Märklin), and the steam system was simply a special type of oil that was put into a recipient that went in the funnel of the locomotive, which was heated up by the little light bulb used for the headlights.
Don't know if it's still the same.

Thanks Abake! :hi5: There's supposed to be a mechanism that lets you set the frequency of the steam bursts (on the trains). But I haven't been able to find it. I plan to go to the hobby store tomorrow.

How many parts of the original Hot Toys figure did you use?

BB

Hey buzzybean. I used the HT helmet, shoulder armor, chest armor, backpack, and the wench unit in the front. All were modified in some way.

A few revisions:

- Repainted my sculpted gloves and added more accurate "lobster thumbs".

- Modified the wench unit in the front to be less boxy around the edges, and less thick. The unit sits much more flush with the body. HT made it about 1/3 too thick so it looked weird from the sides. Like Kane was wearing a shoe shine box.

- Weathered out the fabric suit to be more grimy.

nostromo_kane_portrait27.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait29.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait28.jpg

Last edited:

I also resculpted the right hand to hold the flashlight in a more natural way.

nostromo_kane_portrait30.jpg

Some pics of the Kane/Hurt HS. I did a treatment to make the skin look more translucent.

nostromo_kane_portrait31.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait32.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait33.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait34.jpg

Re: UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : Kane HS - Skin Paint Effect

Yay lobster thumbs!
The winch box is another item on my list to fix, with the rounded corners and overall size. Nice fix, tin!
I should mention this: Out of the HT box, the winch unit has two cylinders; one on (Kane's) right, and one just beside it closer to the middle. Their lengths should be reversed. The one on the right side is actually supposed to be shorter and higher up, and the one next to it toward the center of the box should be longer.
boxbt.jpg

I'm sure you've already seen this pic, but there are SO MANY little fixes...
Again, excellent work tin.

Thanks Anthrapoid! When I get a chance - I'll fix the two pipes on the winch. I'm actually making a new version of the bonnet. Should have pics soon.

Just what was it you did to the skin? Looks fabulous. I'm experimenting at the moment in trying to get a quick-half-decent skin effect on the flesh coloured casts I just made. At the moment they just look flat, like he's had his face evenly sprayed.

I think it's something to do with the sheen applied, and the fact that 1/6 faces have shadows only 1/6 the depth of real ones....could be a reduced contrast thing.

What was it you did, and was it quick?

EDIT--ooh I've had my name changed! (used to be Dr. Bernardi) Thanks Dave! [Must change my avatar, I look foolish!]

Last edited:

Hey Dr. Bernardi. Thanks for the compliments!

The process I use is unfortunately not a quick process. I take the usual approach to painting the face; primer and then I use enamel paints to first apply a then coat of dark tan with a hint of red mixed in. The end result looks like a badly sunburned Kane. Then I apply one thin coat of light tan (really thinned out with thinner). This lessens the sunburn look by about 20%.

Here's the part that I get fancy. After this base coat dries completely - I apply a thin coat of gloss coat. Don't over coat.

Once the gloss dries completely - I take the light tan from before and dry brush all the areas of the face I want highlighted. Usually the eyelids, cheek bones, bridge of the nose and nostrils, etc. This solves the issue you raised about 1/6 scale shadows. The light tan in contrast with the darker tan creates more shadow highlights.

Also - I only use flat paints. No gloss. So when you apply that light tan highlight - you'll start seeing natural looking contrasts between glossy areas and non-glossy areas (the highlights).

Once this all dries. I apply a thin coat of dull coat over everything. Let it dry - then apply more highlights if needed - and blemishes and freckles. 5 o'clock shadow - and the eyebrows.

Let dry and then apply another thin coat of dull coat. If necessary - apply more highlights then another coat of dull coat.

The alternating between dull coat and paint layers is what creates that translucent quality. And you'll still get some appropriate areas of gloss showing through - like on the sides of the nose, wrinkles in the forehead, around the eyes, and the area between the chin and lower lips. These glossy highlights add to the illusion of flesh.

It takes patience but I like the end result.

I would also not go beyond three cycles of dull coat - since I've discovered that too many coats of dull coat actually starts looking more like gloss coat.

Back