Action Figure UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : FINISHED!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: UPDATED:HT Nostromo Kane : Fabric Spacesuit - Modified Flashlight

This is definitly a custom beyond this world!

A small but really annoying detail that HT failed to do on the original figure. I HATED the way the air tube connected from the helmet to the backpack. Not only did the connection point with the backpack look incomplete (the tube just basically plugged into a peg on the top of the backpack) - it didn't fit very well and constantly dislodged at the slightest jostle. And visually - it looked cheap.

So I made nozzle attachments for each end of the air tube. I also made the nozzle connection to the backpack fit over the original peg so that I can still detach to remove the helmet. With the nozzle - the airtube fits more securely and looks authentic. It looks like it is an airtight connection. Once I paint and weather the nozzles - they will visually fit seemlessly with the helmet/backpack.

nostromo_kane_airtube.jpg

I'll work out the details within the next few weeks and post an interested thread. I'll most likely have casts of the gloves, boots, and headsculpt available for sure. Regarding the HS: I'll have to determine if I will just make a version with sculpted cowl available. Or whether I'll have time to have a head that comes with a fabric cowl available too. Depends on demand.

The suit I will make available in very limited numbers - and will give priority to you guys who have frequented this thread.

And I'll provide a thread with instructions on any needed assembly - as well as tips on the other mods I made to the figure that you can do on your own.

Stay tuned.

Tin

:clap :clap :clap

I still say this is the BEST custom project EVER! To have even a piece of it will be a great honor.

:bow :bow :bow

One of the very first custom pieces I made for Kane were boots. And as I added more to the rest of the suit - I got more and more dissatisfied with the details of the boots.

So I decided to add the security reflective pipping along the sides to give the boots a little more detail. This also gives the boots a little more visual balance with the rest of the figure - and makes it more screen accurate.

nostromo_kane_boots.jpg

Very VERY interested in all parts Tin.

As I said previously and to echo Wor's comments above, inspired stuff.

amazing details ! I don't collect this particular figure but I do appreciate the details you put in...remarkable !

Rob

amazing details ! I don't collect this particular figure but I do appreciate the details you put in...remarkable !

Rob

Thanks Rob! :)

:clap :clap :clap

I still say this is the BEST custom project EVER! To have even a piece of it will be a great honor.

:bow :bow :bow

Very VERY interested in all parts Tin.

As I said previously and to echo Wor's comments above, inspired stuff.

Thanks guys. You guys have encouraged me throughout this project so I will do my best to make some parts and suits available to you guys :hi5:

He's getting closer and closer to done. I'll paint the HS last since that's the trickiest for me. In these pics you'll see Kane with his snazzy new flashlight and boots. The boots really look more balanced and stable now. I've also added some more oxidation weathering to the armor pieces.

nostromo_kane_91.jpg
nostromo_kane_92.jpg
nostromo_kane_93.jpg

The air tube with custom nozzles painted and mounted. I also added more oxidation stains to the helmet itself.

nostromo-kane-nozzle1.jpg
nostromo-kane-nozzle2.jpg
nostromo-kane-nozzle3.jpg

Last edited:

Are you sure you aren't John Mollo, costume designer for Alien???

Excellent craftsmanship!

Hi tinister. I just stumbled onto this thread, fortunately. You and I have some things to discuss, my friend!

Here's a link to an old thread I created in 2008, right after I received my Dallas & Kane figures.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42229&page=7

I think we might have some valuable information to exchange, for our mutual benefit- and that of other collectors.
If you look through the pages of my thread carefully, you will find many rare photos of the correct boots, gloves and more.
I have many more images I'm sure you might want to see, and several are higher resolution than I can post here.
Perhaps you might want me to send them to you via email at some point.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42229&page=10

Your efforts are top-shelf, but you might be able to be even more accurate with some of the images I have been able to uncover with my exhaustive research on the Moebius suits.
In my thread you will also find accurate images of the UK and USA pocket patches for both the Kane and Dallas suits. I have found an excellent fabric printing company, which I used to produce fabric prints for my custom 12" RAZA figure, from IRONMAN. (see this thread: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99509)

I think having the patches printed on fabric and sewn onto your suits would give that final touch of realism that would elevate your work even higher. Perhaps we can work together in some way, work out some trading etc. By the way- I'm in California too. Nice to 'meet' you!

Your work is amazing, and I definitely want to be on your list for a Kane head sculpt, a fabric Kane suit and one for Dallas as well. I would even be interested in a light blue suit for a custom LAMBERT figure, although I would need to acquire an extra helmet and hardware to create her...

Your fabric suits are astonishing, and I will be happy and honored to buy them. Your head sculpt is truly remarkable; I tried to create one, but it didn't turn out half as good as yours. (see post: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42229&page=11)
That said, I'm afraid your boots missed the mark. Hot Toys made a similar mistake, but it's understandable. The boots which Hot Toys used for the figures are actually from a different spacesuit on board the Nostromo, the EMERGENCY SUITS. If you check my photos, you will see the correct boots for the Moebius suits are quite different. I found images of the ACTUAL prop boots worn by Tom Skerrett, for sale at a UK auction house.

I was going to sculpt them and make them available to collectors myself, and eventually make fabric suits too-
but I have had ongoing problems with my health, so it never happened.

I am extremely glad I found your thread- I am a hard-core ALIEN fan, and therefor an acolyte of yours, as a fellow artist.
Please check my thread, and let me know what you think.

Keep doing the great work- I look forward to enjoying it on my own two figures.

Last edited:

Thanks Arthrapoid!

Very early on - one of the members forwarded your thread to me. Tons of info that was useful to me :hi5:

Regarding the patches: I bought some iron-on paper from Michael's that you can supposedly print on. I plan to do that for the patches at some point. Space Jockey provided me with images of the patches - as well as the correct name plate for the chest piece - which I plan to print out on water transfer decal paper.

The boots you see are admittedly a fusion of the emergency boots and the correct boots. I started out making it based on the HT boots, then realized the exact error you mentioned - and also came across that props auction website with Dallas's boots. So I added on details based on those pictures.

The boots that I will make available would be purely based on the correct boots.

I'll probably have the finished figure by tomorrow so will post pics. I want to finish before I leave for vacation. :yess:

I look forward to seeing the finished item.
Speaking of decals, you might want to create the 'wings' logo to apply to the gloves.
see this post: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42229&page=10
In the film, the logos on the gloves are faded, and the dim lighting makes them nearly invisible. I have a professional decal printer that I use, who does excellent work.

Anyway, do you have a time frame as to the suits availability for buyers? Again, fantastic work.

This is the reference photo of the boot that I used (Dallas's). The changes I'd make to the version I'll make available would be to square up the toe area more. And also square up the top profile and flatten the side profile a bit.

When I sculpted these - I ended up shortening the "neck" of the boot. To have it as high as the actual boot caused issues with the fabric suit. It bunched up and looked odd. The red lines indicate where they were cut off.

Overall - not a bad match; and definitely a big step away from the HT boots - which were oddly pill shaped.

I kepted the reflective piping grey just as preference. I didn't like the yellow version I saw in some photos. And Kane's boots in the movie - I didn't see the yellow piping at all.

kane_boots_compare.jpg

I look forward to seeing the finished item.
Speaking of decals, you might want to create the 'wings' logo to apply to the gloves.
see this post: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42229&page=10
In the film, the logos on the gloves are faded, and the dim lighting makes them nearly invisible. I have a professional decal printer that I use, who does excellent work.

Anyway, do you have a time frame as to the suits availability for buyers? Again, fantastic work.

I've only decided to take on this task a couple days ago - so it will be a few weeks before I can have any real estimate of when parts will be available. But definitely during the summer. Tin

My friend made this cool comparison pic for me last night. I think the mannequin they have under that suit is about a foot too short lol. And it looks like the shin guards and elbow guards are missing too.

nostromo_kane_comparison.jpg

Back