Universal Monsters Masks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Care to elaborate on how to take care of them? I recently got the Trick or Treat Studios Michael Myers mask, and I'd like it to last.

Lightly but thoroughly baby powder the inside of the mask after wearing it. Store them away from direct sunlight. I stuff mine with old tshirts, newspaper, bags....ect. When storing the mask you want to retain the masks natural shape. I use paper towel rolls, some people prefer paper towel holders. Dust sucks, keep the dust away.You should be alright with the TOT H2 mask. It will last a very long time. You should have no problem getting an easy 20+ years out of it.

I really like the New Creature mask.
creat.jpg

Latex monster masks can last for decades. If you want to make sure they'll last---have them foam filled. They wont be wearable---but they wont rot either.

Halloween Mask Association can help you with preserving masks.

Latex will always "rot". It's inevitable due to oxidation. You may have some latex item that lasts longer than another, but latex is basically a short lived product and there's nothing you can do to prevent it aside from storing the item in an air tight vacuum.

I still have an original Don Post Creature mask (and hands) from the 70s (it was my older brother's). Of course it's hardened up now, but it's still cool to have (also have an original Chewbacca Don Post mask- not the screaming version, the closed-mouth version).

Sean

Last edited:
Latex will always "rot". It's inevitable due to oxidation. You may have some latex item that lasts longer than another, but latex is basically a short lived product and there's nothing you can do to prevent it aside from storing the time in an air tight vacuum.

I still have an original Don Post Creature mask (and hands) from the 70s (it was my older brother's). Of course it's hardened up now, but it's still cool to have (also have an original Chewbacca Don Post mask- not the screaming version, the closed-mouth version).

Sean

You have them foam filled? Helps preserve them, I hear. Never done it myself. I just sold a bunch of Don Post masks from the early 80's that had precious little damage...and they were stored in a damp moldy basement. Really supple latex.

I think a lot has to do with the quality of the latex that determines when they go to poop. The owner of those 80's masks also had some of the 90's Illusive concepts masks and they were hard as a rock and crumbled when dropped.

On another note: Did you hear Don Post is officially out of business? This is their final year. There last offerings being:
Halloween-Masks.jpg

You have them foam filled? Helps preserve them, I hear. Never done it myself. I just sold a bunch of Don Post masks from the early 80's that had precious little damage...and they were stored in a damp moldy basement. Really supple latex.

I think a lot has to do with the quality of the latex that determines when they go to poop. The owner of those 80's masks also had some of the 90's Illusive concepts masks and they were hard as a rock and crumbled when dropped.

On another note: Did you hear Don Post is officially out of business? This is their final year. There last offerings being:
Halloween-Masks.jpg

Damn, that's bad news.
Do you know where you can buy those Halloween III masks?

Halloween-Masks.jpg

No, mine aren't foam filled. The Chewie mask (from about 1977) is still flexible, but the Creature w/hands (which was purchased several years prior) is hardened. All latex will eventually be effected by oxidation, unfortunately. But as I said, some can last longer than others. I'd be curious to know exactly what they are using (or used) for these masks and if it is truly 100% latex.

Sean

No, mine aren't foam filled. The Chewie mask (from about 1977) is still flexible, but the Creature w/hands (which was purchased several years prior) is hardened. All latex will eventually be effected by oxidation, unfortunately. But as I said, some can last longer than others. I'd be curious to know exactly what they are using (or used) for these masks and if it is truly 100% latex.

Sean

Thats a pity about those Creature hands and mask. I think those are worth a pretty penny. I think foam filling preserves them, but they are no longer flexible. They more or less are like resin busts. But at least they will last. If all masks were made of vinyl---life would be so much easier,lol.:peace

It's frustrating to have to get everything on ebay. Went to 3 halloween shops around here and none of them have any Don Post masks.

At one point I was the very proud owner of a cast of the Land Creature mask taken from the original mold. This new Creature looks to be very close to the original.In my sights...PS

Ordered,at a discount.Should have it by Halloween...

Last edited:
The mask arrived yesterday(fastest shipping I've ever seen!).The sculpt is as tight as can be;dead on to the Chapman mask. Just wish it were a bit bigger.My large noggin is a tight fit.Someone with a smaller melon will have it made. Still very happy with it,though...PS

If taken care of properly, masks cast in RD-407 latex will last a VERY, very long time.

Back