ungluing super glue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I really do not see a better place for it. I am hoping some skilled people know the answer to this.

I recently purchased a bunch of Armies of Middle Earth LOTR figures and all have been superglued to their bases. I want to remove the bases without damaging the figures. I have read that simple finger nail polish works because it contains acetone. My questions are these

- how much do I need to use on the area where it is glued?

- how long does it take to work so the two contact points can be separated?

- will it also remove the paint from the figure?

- should I just place a small pool of it in a dish and let the figure sit in there for a while or should I use it selectively just around the contact points where it has been super glued?

- is there something better than fingernail polish to use?

thank much to anyone who knows anything about this and can help.

Don't know about the paint, but her's my personnal experience with nail polish. First, select one with NO acetone!!! Or it will eat through plastic!

When I got my GOD Bruce Lee, I realized the head didn't have the same range of movement than another BL I had.

I removed the head and found out the neck peg was glued. I was because when they had glued the torso halves, some of it had leaked on the neck peg.

So what I did was fill the neck cavity with nail polish. The next day I had to apply a very little strength, and the peg was free.

So I'd say at least a day and I repeat: Absolutely no acetone!!!

Thanks for the advice. I tried a bit of nail polish used very sparingly around the area where it was glued and let it sit for about an hour. Using a small screwdriver, I was able to pry to base from the figure with no damage. Then I used soap and water on the feet of the figure and it seems none the worse for the experience.

carbo - you can see my diorama's here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17649735@N00/?saved=1

there are four pages and the best one is on page four.

I have over 600 figures for a Helms Deep diorama plus the buildings less the keep itself. The problem is that when I map it all out, it needs a space the size of an entire bedroom to house it. I feel like the Wright Bros. who constructed their plane in their bicycle shop and then had to tear down a wall to get it out.

also - I am always looking for more Helms Deeps figures - Uruks, Elves, Rohan warriors, wildmen.

Back