UK events. Where do you go and do you buy or just browse?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movie-Figures

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just after a bit of research from UK collectors, if you'd be so kind.

Do you go to any collector shows? If so, which ones and where?

Do you look to buy any items from those shows? Big stuff? Small stuff? Stuff that grabs your eye?

I've debated us exhibiting at Collectormania, but whilst I see quite a lot of people attend, I don't see many buying from the stands.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Liam

I go to the Birmingham Comic Con event usually & there are a couple of smaller events in Sheffield & Doncaster that I try & get to (depending on my work schedule), I'd like to say I go there with the intention of buying things BUT I've found that prices can be a lot higher at these events than they are on the websites I frequent..., that's not to say I don't buy anything of course, I just do my homework first & there's always the chance to try haggling too. :)

I went many years ago to a Collectormania and didn't really find much of interest.

I went to the Sheffield Comic Con last year - the kids wanted to go and they managed to pick up a few bits that they were interested in (mainly inexpensive anime/manga related stuff). I found it pretty interesting seeing some of the star guest and watching people enjoy the cosplay aspect. From a purchasing point of view, I found it a little disappointing to be honest. For the sixth scale Sideshow/Hot Toys stuff, there was little about and what there was was overpriced in my opinion. Some of the vintage toys that caught my fancy were being offered at frankly ridiculous prices so I didn't manage to pick anything up even though I had a few hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket!!

I can't say that I blame the dealers for not carrying too much expensive stock as I didn't really see a lot of expensive purchasing going on - seemed like mainly small novelty purchases as far as I could tell.

Would I buy something at such an event with a friendly dealer who offers a bit of banter and a reasonable price - definitely. That's how I came to walk away with my first Hot Toys Iron Man figure (Iron Patriot) from the Hong Kong Comic Con last year. I had been given advice about waiting until almost closing time on the last day to try and haggle a bargain but to be honest after a long day, I don't think I could be bothered.

I tend to visit the Birmingham / Manchester Comic Con.

Whether I buy or not really depends on the stores choices and what pennies I have set aside. For example last year I picked up a Selina Kyle Hot Toys Figure, and a few other bits and bobs from the Manchester Comic Con.
I like dealing with friendly dealers too and those open to sensible offers - I certainly wouldn't go expecting to pick up something for nothing. I got one dealer to drop the price on the Hot Toy S.Kyle buy £10, which I feel was still go for both parties. That said, prices do tend to run high.

My first attendance wasn't too dissimilar to the above, in terms of disappointment. I was certainly hoping to see more 1/4 | 1/6 collectables, especially sideshow stuff, but I didn't see much. After that and ever since I have always gone in not expecting much in terms of items to buy.

I would like to see more, but again as above I too don't really blame dealers for not transporting / risking expensive items. But I really would like to see more stalls selling that type of stuff at the UK Comic Cons.

In the past, I used to go to Milton Keynes collectamania before they moved to the stadium picked up some good stuff, also some sigs been meaning to head to London film comic con weather its any good?

I go to LFFC every year. I would like to see more stalls selling hot toys and other statues

I used to do the MCM Expo at the Excel but its got too big & I doubt I'll do it again now

This year I did the London Super Comic Con again at the Excel & it was brilliant much smaller, less busy & really well run
Plenty of sellers catering for everything with some really keen pricing

I will also be doing the London Film & Comic Con at Earls Court next weekend for the first time.
Not sure what to expect but the guest line up was far too good to pass on

Neil

For the love of the force, in Manchester next month. Full size X - wing and AT-ST. Recreating the cantina too, with an after hours party. It's gonna be good!

Back