UC products updates

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noelleon69

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you people here are collectors of UC products. Here are some updates from Kit Rae (Product Design Director of UC for those who doesn't already know) taken from ucforums.com

Enjoy!

The Shards are on our list for the MC collection, but it will be a few years down the road, IF the MC collection stays successful. I have a really special idea for this particular collectible that I think everyone will like. Anduril is next to be made, after Glamdring, and unfortunately we have to make the Runes with the mistake identical to the prop...

...Well, it is good to know that I have lost my mind. I would love to correct the spelling error, an error I have known about since we were first allowed to see Anduril by New Line, but we are licensed to make "reproductions" by New Line, not what we would like to see. I'm sure New Line would catch this one, though we have squeezed in a few improvements here and there on other swords If an MC Anduril does get made, it will be the next one after Glamdring, (no, I did not just confirm Anduril WILL be made) and it won't be aged. It will be shiny and new just like the prop. Narsil was a bit pitted and tarnished, and the Shards even more so, but there were different props made that were not all 100% identical. For instance, I have prop master photos of a very dirty shards hilt, but the one we were given to copy, the one Boromir dropped I believe, was not that dirty and pitted.

Greg Bates is no longer with UC, and I have been put in charge of other brands for UC, not just LOTR, so I don't have any time to surf the boards. Sauron's mace is on our "to be made" list, and all of the design and CAD work was completed long ago, but the powers that be have put in on hold due to the insanely high cost. It may get made eventually, but for now the only version we are proceeding with is the 1/5 scale mini. The length by the way, is about 50 inches.

We are hoping to reproduce Sauron's sword as part of this collection, since it is much easier to make, but it will also be BIG. It is the sword made for the cut battle scene in ROTK. You can see it on the extended DVD extras. It is so cool it is a must have to complete the collection. It was one of the last props Weta sent to us before they shut down LOTR productions...

...Just keep in mind I said "hoping". UC has not offically confirmed anything, and I am not here in an offical PR function for UC. I am just sharing some inside info. I don't want to see a thread six months from now saying "That Kit Rae bastard said it would be out next year, why the hell can't UC get their act together!" Just because my design department is working on it does not mean it will absolutely get made. Adam Hall, our LOTR draftsman, and I have been looking working on it for a few weeks. There is still CAD work to be done, costing, approvals, and on and on. I REALLY want to make it.

And "insanely expensive" means in the thousands of dollars. Most of our dealers would not touch it. The shipping cost alone due to the weight eats up most of the profiit made. There are other ways to make it less expensive, but for now we have tabled the mace.

Of the EWS: To my knowledge the swords have not even arrived at UC's distribution center. Some will be shipping within the next month, but I can tell you that it will take a long time to fill back orders. The sword takes a long time to make, so not many can be made per month. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossd and hope they get made fast. I am waiting on mine as well.

Gimli's bearded axe was put on hold a long time ago, and I believe Greg said that in an old thread here. Sales have slowed on the first two axes. It, and the two small axes are still in line to be produced, but there is no time frame set. Theoden's helm was an idea thrown around a few years back, but never put in a schedule to be developed, and next to impossible to make on a production basis without cutting design corners. The first two Rohan swords did OK, but they were on the bottom of the list in sword sales. Guthwine was never in the works to be made. I had HOPED to make it one day because I love all three of the Rohan swords, but chances are slim now. It is a shame. Eowyns sword was one of the most beautiful reproductions we ever made.

As far as release dates, I have posted on that subject several times in the past so I'm not going to go into that again, as I have no control over it, and I don't know where people get most of the dates I read. I'll just say don't believe anything you hear until your dealer actually says they have it in stock and are shipping. The Elven Warrior Sword, Witchking Helm, Gondor Shield, and the MC Glamdring are the four items currently being developed, and most are close to completion.

The WK helm will be fiberglass reinforced resin, just like the Sauron helm, and it will be made with the hood attached. That was a decision we made a long time ago. It just displayed better that way. It is a bit larger than the Sauron helm and it actually did cost more to make that Sauron's. And before someone tells me it is a mask, not a helm, I am well aware. New Line insisted we call it a War Helm. As far as making it out of metal, we could have, but it would cost about double the resin cost, and design corners woulfd have been made for production purposes that would have made it obviously less than authentic in looks. That is always a fine line, going with authentic materials, or authentic looking as a collectible. For example, I bought Sideshow's metal Sauron helm mini, thinking it would be as accurate as the movie prop, only to find it is completely inaccurate in color and shape, especially the spikes and face area. I was very disappointed. Their Sauron statue was a bit better though. I highly recommend that piece.

Noticed the last part... he said SSW's mini sauron helm is completely inaccurate! Now that's interesting isnt it. I wonder why is that so, is it so difficult to make it prop accurate? But he does gives the thumbsup for the statue though!

Too many MC versions of stuff thats already made. I guess it doesn't matter since I can't afford these at the moment, but Dammit, I want more NEW stuff. I wish they would have just started with the MC versions, instead of making multiple versions of the same items. Can't wait to see that Witchking War Helm and the Shards sound promising though, since the LE version is now way expensive and I still don't like that they were attached to the plaque.

When there is no more SS LOTR coming, I will start to complete both my SS and UC collections.

One piece at a time, baby, one piece at a time.

Oh and based on that info, etc., I'm not entirely sure that UC is in touch with what collectors want. Am I wrong?

Yep, I have been bitching over there at the UC Forums fr a while...

I knew this was coming...said it many times and everyone just piled on...

The thing I was most surprised....and angry about was the revelation that GUTHWINE was never even considered in the regular ....or any line!

That is simply ridiculous!

Lembas Eater said:
Too many MC versions of stuff thats already made. I guess it doesn't matter since I can't afford these at the moment, but Dammit, I want more NEW stuff. I wish they would have just started with the MC versions, instead of making multiple versions of the same items.

That is my BIG gripe, why not at least mention it from the beginning!?!? :sick

I bought Sideshow's metal Sauron helm mini, thinking it would be as accurate as the movie prop, only to find it is completely inaccurate in color and shape, especially the spikes and face area.

That gave me a laugh actually because well its done by Weta seems like they would of got it right since they had the original right there.

hmm... how come they never thought of making something more unusual.. like the knife that Merry and Pippin is using? And the sword that Elrond use in the prologue is Hadhafang too?? Perhaps it can be made into a MC version? Perhaps the sword of Gil-Galad (though I can hardly see his face in the prologue in the FOTR, less talk about his weapon!!)

Talking about weapons... UC does not have the licence to make Legolas bow, do they??

Hope someone can provide an update!!

Viking28 said:
That gave me a laugh actually because well its done by Weta seems like they would of got it right since they had the original right there.

Yeah, sounds to me like someone who is talking with a mouth full of sour grapes.

That's a huge shame that Theoden's helm won't be made. That is THE helm that I wanted to get. :crying

It think an MC version of Legolas' bow (the one given to him by Galadriel in FOTR) would be awesome. It's a great looking bow and would look very nice in the wooden case. :legolas

Viking28 said:

exactly, i just find that comical. i least expect that it's not very accurate. prob understandable if just a little off, but what Kit Rae said was like 'completely inaccurate' :dunno

gtb, you are right, UC didn't acquire license to make bows. but you can find some nicely custom made ones by bow makers. but like all customs, they don't come cheap. some may not be functional too, i'm not sure but most should be if not all.

i was thinking if Kit has his way, the MC shards could well be sold with the shards not mounted perm on a plaque and instead displayed just like what they did with the mini shards. wishful thinking? haha...

The WK helm will be fiberglass reinforced resin, just like the Sauron helm, and it will be made with the hood attached. That was a decision we made a long time ago. It just displayed better that way. It is a bit larger than the Sauron helm.....
Damn! That's gonna be big.

Sauron's Mace - 50 inches????!!!!! Bring it on. I've got a spare couple of thousand dollars.

Whoa yeah, and wasn't it mentioned that the 50-inch size was actually 1:5th scale?

as in- sauron's mace 250 inches 1:1 scale. THAT'S TWENTY FEET
:google :horror

I might have misinterpreted it, because it's hard to really understand what the person was saying is 50 inches- the 1:5 or the 1:1-

If it was the 1:5th then I don't think they will make a 1:1.. that'd be way way too expensive.. 5,000 dollars or more, maybe.. and weigh who knows how much... even if it wasn't metal!

If it was the 1:1 they are saying is 50 inches... then how does a 1:5th scale make sense to produce? Sideshow's already done one that is about 10 inches (which is 1:5th of 50 inches). They'd just be more-or-less duplicating sideshow weta's item.

I want to see pictures!

Guys...No Mace. UC is dumping the Mace. It's not forthcoming.

Sauron's Sword is a possibility, but that info is receiving....'Mixed' reviews over at the UC Forums!

I'll just be happy if the ML War Mask is produced. I can call it quits after that and the High Elven Sword.

.I am so thoroughly disgusted that I can hardly keep my fingers typing when discussing this fiasco!

I understand production dilemmas and marketing and production decisions, but this is ridiculous....

Oh yeah, let's permanently delay (CANCEL) the Mace, Bearded Axe and a number of other items we were planning on or at least hoping to make and instead of killing the line outright, let's continue to make the ultra expensive Museum Collection swords (of versions of swords that have already been produced) and also throw in Sauron's sword....Which was never seen in the films (or was but for a literal 1.4 seconds) ....Oh and let's tell the loyal fans that we NEVER EVEN INTENDED ON MAKING EOMER'S SWORD: GUTHWINE!!!

That is just absurd.

I cannot even believe that...of all the statements and plans they have revealed, the fact that they never even considered producing GUTHWINE, one of the LEAD CHARACTERS WEAPONS that has lots more screen time then, oh let's say....Hadhafang or SAURON'S SWORD!!!!

Sad.

What a shame....a crying shame.

Sir Tristram said:
.I am so thoroughly disgusted that I can hardly keep my fingers typing when discussing this fiasco!

I understand production dilemmas and marketing and production decisions, but this is ridiculous....

Oh yeah, let's permanently delay (CANCEL) the Mace, Bearded Axe and a number of other items we were planning on or at least hoping to make and instead of killing the line outright, let's continue to make the ultra expensive Museum Collection swords (of versions of swords that have already been produced) and also throw in Sauron's sword....Which was never seen in the films (or was but for a literal 1.4 seconds) ....Oh and let's tell the loyal fans that we NEVER EVEN INTENDED ON MAKING EOMER'S SWORD: GUTHWINE!!!

That is just absurd.

I cannot even believe that...of all the statements and plans they have revealed, the fact that they never even considered producing GUTHWINE, one of the LEAD CHARACTERS WEAPONS that has lots more screen time then, oh let's say....Hadhafang or SAURON'S SWORD!!!!

Sad.

What a shame....a crying shame.

BRAVO! It seems to be a trend these days for companies not to take lines to their full potential. :sick

Sir Tristram said:
. ....Oh and let's tell the loyal fans that we NEVER EVEN INTENDED ON MAKING EOMER'S SWORD: GUTHWINE!!!

That is just absurd..

Really? I could have sworn that before Theoden's sword was made that I saw a picture of Theoden's, Eomer's and Ewoyn's swords with TBD as dates. The photo had a closeup of the three hilts. Maybe it was something someone threw together but it looked like it was out of a catalog.

leebgb said:
Really? I could have sworn that before Theoden's sword was made that I saw a picture of Theoden's, Eomer's and Ewoyn's swords with TBD as dates. The photo had a closeup of the three hilts. Maybe it was something someone threw together but it looked like it was out of a catalog.
No, that was Blades By Brown jumping the gun, as always and posting an offical New Line Picture of the three swords and Theoden's Helm.
UC never posted that.

It was (rightly) assumed though that GUTHWINE would be made since the other two were scheduled....I for one wanted and was greatly looking forward to completing my Rohan collection.
Guess not.

Did you get the feeling from Kit that the MC line may not
be doing well and perhaps be cancelled all together?

I'd be very interested in the shards as pieces you
could pick up like in the movie.

Back