UC Museum Collection Edition Glamdring LE 1000 -FIRESIDE BABY!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Order from Bob

My 2 cents: If you want this piece, and can swing the pricetag, order from Bob now. :D

UC definitely has a different pricing paradigm than Sideshow. Sideshow is an online company above all else, and sells most of their merchandise direct to collectors from their own site. United Cutlery has been making knives and fantasy swords for years that are marketed primarily through retail shops or knife shows, etc. I suppose that since swords are such a specialty item (especially with the "Museum Collection", which has higher quality high carbon steel, deeper grinds, better balance, more detailed etching/engraving, real silver on the handle, semi-precious stone insets, hardwood handles, etc ...), it made most sense to grant the license to a company with a long history of knife making rather than a more traditional collectibles company. Anyway, the sales model still follows traditional retail marketing where the MSRP is intentionally a fiction ($1198 here IIRC). Despite this, I don't anticipate the price getting much better than what Bob is offering now, which is exactly half the stated rate. He's already "sold out" at least twice, and I can only guess there is a time coming soon when he won't be able to reorder any more. You know it's a legit site with great service, and consistently excellent prices. Expensive as it is, I just can't see 1000 pieces hanging on very long. The Luke ANH "Elite" lightsaber from Master Replicas cost almost this much, and sold 1000 units in 14 minutes flat.

The swords are such large and specialized items that in my own collecting philosophy, I would rather have just a few very high quality replicas displayed nicely than a full set of of the standard line. (That's not a shot at SirTristram at all - UC's standard line is excellent as well, and each is entitled to their taste and choice of what to collect, obviously :peace ) Anyway, the only item I currently own is the "Museum" Sting, which is excellent (although I would have much preferred a vine INLAY rather than an "onlay"), and I'm very much looking forward to Glamdring. If they do come through with Anduril (which to my knowledge has been confirmed as the next item IF there is a next item at all, although that remains a lingering question mark), my plan is for it to be the third and final sword in my collection.

So - that's my little plug for this very exciting sword, and for Bob's great shop, which has always treated me well. :joy

very much considering buying this.......sooo glad they changed the lining of the case from the cheapo looking sting lining. Bob can you email or PM me a shipping quote to the UK, would this be an oversized parcel?

pitchin said:
very much considering buying this.......sooo glad they changed the lining of the case from the cheapo looking sting lining.

That's precisely why I never bought the MC Sting. It looks like an extremely cheesy display for such a high quality replica.

pitchin said:
very much considering buying this....... Bob can you email or PM me a shipping quote to the UK, would this be an oversized parcel?

I too would be interested to know about this getting to the UK if someone wouldn't mind posting/pm or emailing me please?!.

Thanks folks :D

Shell
x

elwood49 said:
That's precisely why I never bought the MC Sting. It looks like an extremely cheesy display for such a high quality replica.

Well, I found mine for $270 shipped and it was definitley worth it...the display is not chessy at all in person....They are very high quality...the Glammy is going to have red velvet behind it and NOT the ME map....

But I still hold to the notion that tUC should end the MC line after Anduril and try to salvage what is left of the regular editions and expand it for what ever it's worth...

I will be incredibly upset if they never release Guthwine, Gimli's Bearded Axe and Faramir's sword....I would like to have seen Haldir's, Denethor's sword, the Ringwraith Short sword and Morgul blade and at least one Orc sword....like a Moria Orc Dussack or something!

Eomer and Theoden's Helms are looking to be more and more of a pipe-dream at this point....what a shame....what a real shame. This license still has legs....I wish they were handling it better at this point...Make ALL the remaining releases Limited Editions and all the hardcores will BUY THEM OUT and we will all be happy....they get their money and we (The above mention 'hardcores' - as I will speak for them) will get the most of the LOTR UC collection! :angelsmil

Congrats

Congrats ST! I thought you were playing a "dangerous" game if you really wanted this blade (which I knew you did :D ), but you pulled it off. Glad to hear you got in. :joy

pitchin - I agree that the Sting background was inappropriately chosen for a replica of this quality. It was too distracting, too verbose in the description, and too much like what the BOX should have been, rather than the actual display piece. I got a 1/3 yard of black velvet from Hobby-Lobby, and used some scrap 1/8 inch thick "hardboard" (this is a dark brown man-made backing board which cuts and sands easily, and is available at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $10 per 4x8 sheet) to make a support for the fabric. I just cut it to snugly fit within the back of the box, with cut-outs for the sword hanging brackets and rubber support posts. A little hot-glue was enough to tension the velvet around this "frame". The fabric was snipped with scissors and folded back into the hole-areas, and glued in place from behind. It worked like a dream, and really enhances the overall look IMO.

spaceman said:
I got a 1/3 yard of black velvet from Hobby-Lobby, and used some scrap 1/8 inch thick "hardboard" (this is a dark brown man-made backing board which cuts and sands easily, and is available at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $10 per 4x8 sheet) to make a support for the fabric. I just cut it to snugly fit within the back of the box, with cut-outs for the sword hanging brackets and rubber support posts. A little hot-glue was enough to tension the velvet around this "frame". The fabric was snipped with scissors and folded back into the hole-areas, and glued in place from behind. It worked like a dream, and really enhances the overall look IMO.

Now that's more like what I would want. Good job spaceman!

How about a pic Spaceman, I haven't taken mine out of the box yet but when I do in a few weeks this is what I would like to do. Ecspecially now that it will match the Glamdring case.

Jesse

Here you go, sorry for the low-quality images. Also - there was one other step I forgot. Underneath the velvet, attached to the board is some iron-on "interfacing", also available at Hobby-Lobby, Joanne's, Wal-Mart, etc. It just softens the edges and surface of the "wood" a bit, to accept the velvet fabric better. Note it irons onto the wood backing, NOT to the velvet, which is just hot-glued from behind. If you have ever ironed velvet, you know the results are "sub-optimal". :rolleyes: One of those rolling sticky clothes-lint removers is great form cleaning up the finished surface. It was just a few hours prep and construction, and I think the results are a world of improvement. Good Luck! :peace

sting1.jpg
sting2.jpg
sting3.jpg
sting4.jpg
sting5.jpg

Great pics all around, they both look excellent.

I have the regular editions, but these make me want to change my mind. :banghead

I thought I was happy with the regular version of Sting, but the more pictures I see of the MC one the more I get tempted.

So hereby I have one request: STOP posting pictures of that sword, my bank account can't take much more abuse :banghead :banghead

spaceman said:
Here you go, sorry for the low-quality images. Also - there was one other step I forgot. Underneath the velvet, attached to the board is some iron-on "interfacing", also available at Hobby-Lobby, Joanne's, Wal-Mart, etc. It just softens the edges and surface of the "wood" a bit, to accept the velvet fabric better. Note it irons onto the wood backing, NOT to the velvet, which is just hot-glued from behind. If you have ever ironed velvet, you know the results are "sub-optimal". :rolleyes: One of those rolling sticky clothes-lint removers is great form cleaning up the finished surface. It was just a few hours prep and construction, and I think the results are a world of improvement. Good Luck! :peace

Thank you for posting that. HUGE improvement.

Back