Twitter costs a Waiter his job

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't do any of that stuff. I don't text message either, which I think it rather dumb the way most people do it. If you're going to sit for an hour text messaging someone back and forth, why not just call them?

Texting to me is the perfect way to communicate. Calls are for family members (sometimes) and really close friends. I don't want to get into huge conversations that take hours with everyone else. I just want to get in and get out. Say what I need to, get the information I need to and move along. If I have been text messaging someone for an hour and haven't called them at that point it speaks volumes about where that person falls on my importance meter.

This is why I only allow people to by my friend on sites like Facebook if they know me well and aren't in a position to get me in trouble at work. Sad as it is, I can get fired for my sexual orientation if someone just really wanted to get rid of me. So it's safe just to keep Facebook and such for friends and not employees or employers, and for the love of Jesus Christ, don't insult people even on your personal page! Celebrities and employers especially.

I think a case like this should go all the way to the Supreme Court. Your work is your work and your personal life is your personal life, and they shouldn't have anything to do with each other. A company shouldn't be able to fire someone (or even not hire them) based on that person's Internet usage unless that person signed a non-disclosure agreement or something similar. This is similar to when companies began firing employees who smoked... at home! I also don't think your employer should have anything to say about who you see or date, as long as it doesn't come into the workplace, and that includes co-workers. What gives an employer the right to decide who you date, how you live or what you think, outside the workplace? Nothing!

This is why I only allow people to by my friend on sites like Facebook if they know me well and aren't in a position to get me in trouble at work. Sad as it is, I can get fired for my sexual orientation if someone just really wanted to get rid of me. So it's safe just to keep Facebook and such for friends and not employees or employers, and for the love of Jesus Christ, don't insult people even on your personal page! Celebrities and employers especially.

That stinks and it shouldn't be that way. :mad:

I think a case like this should go all the way to the Supreme Court. Your work is your work and your personal life is your personal life, and they shouldn't have anything to do with each other. A company shouldn't be able to fire someone (or even not hire them) based on that person's Internet usage unless that person signed a non-disclosure agreement or something similar. This is similar to when companies began firing employees who smoked... at home! I also don't think your employer should have anything to say about who you see or date, as long as it doesn't come into the workplace, and that includes co-workers. What gives an employer the right to decide who you date, how you live or what you think, outside the workplace? Nothing!

Lonnie, I'm a smoker. However, I agree with the firing of employees who smoke in a way. Why? It is the employer that is paying for their health benefits. It also effects all of the other people on the plan as if anyone were to get cancer their premiums would be raised and that effects them not just the person that is sick. Unfortunately employers do have the right to also fire people for putting crazy pictures and stuff online. If you look in most employee handbooks I know mine does it says that you are representing your company even when not working. I don't necessarily agree 100% but I respect the rules and therefore don't even bother with those sites.

Again though with the smoking, sure it's your right to smoke. However, it shouldn't be others responsibilty to pay extra insurance premiums because people are smokers. That is why employers are taking those drastic measures. I would rather them just raise the rates for the people that smoke.

Last edited:
Lonnie, I'm a smoker. However, I agree with the firing of employees who smoke. Why? It is the employer that is paying for their health benefits. It also effects all of the other people on the plan as if anyone were to get cancer their premiums would be raised and that effects them not just the person that is sick. Unfortunately employers do have the right to also fire people for putting crazy pictures and stuff online. If you look in most employee handbooks I know mine does it says that you are representing your company even when not working. I don't necessarily agree 100% but I respect the rules and therefore don't even bother with those sites.

Again though with the smoking, sure it's your right to smoke. However, it shouldn't be others responsibilty to pay extra insurance premiums because people are smokers. That is why employers are taking those drastic measures. I would rather them just raise the rates for the people that smoke.

The trouble with this is, then they could tell you how to eat, drink, etc. Alot of insurance policies are already higher for people who smoke and they're wanting to do that for people who are overweight as well. You can smoke and never get cancer. You can be overweight and still be healthy and live a long life. There's just too many if, ands or buts.

People have to live their lives and not have to worry about an employer looking over their shoulder 24/7. They should only be allowed to do that if they're paying you every hour in the day.

The trouble with this is, then they could tell you how to eat, drink, etc. Alot of insurance policies are already higher for people who smoke and they're wanting to do that for people who are overweight as well. You can smoke and never get cancer. You can be overweight and still be healthy and live a long life. There's just too many if, ands or buts.

People have to live their lives and not have to worry about an employer looking over their shoulder 24/7. They should only be allowed to do that if they're paying you every hour in the day.

I understand what you are saying. However, this is a common misconception and just shows a lack of knowledge on how insurance works. Insurance is a risk based industry. You take on insurance to protect yourself against potential loss. Most insurance companies come up with rates using a risk method. A good example is if you drive a car you may not get into an accident. However you still need to protect yourself. If you get speeding tickets or happen to get into and accident they raise your rates because your risk has increased and they see a potential for future claims. It is the same if people smoke. The fact of the matter is if someone were to get cancer the claims are devasting. People don't realize this. It is nothing for a single injection to cost an insurance company $1000's of dollars. Guess where that comes from? Premiums paid in. So you see even though you can smoke and never get sick. Chances are you will and it will be costly. People being over weight is the same deal. Chances for all kinds of health problems like diabetes and such.

I understand what you are saying. However, this is a common misconception and just shows a lack of knowledge on how insurance works. Insurance is a risk based industry. You take on insurance to protect yourself against potential loss. Most insurance companies come up with rates using a risk method. A good example is if you drive a car you may not get into an accident. However you still need to protect yourself. If you get speeding tickets or happen to get into and accident they raise your rates because your risk has increased and they see a potential for future claims. It is the same if people smoke. The fact of the matter is if someone were to get cancer the claims are devasting. People don't realize this. It is nothing for a single injection to cost an insurance company $1000's of dollars. Guess where that comes from? Premiums paid in. So you see even though you can smoke and never get sick. Chances are you will and it will be costly. People being over weight is the same deal. Chances for all kinds of health problems like diabetes and such.

I see you are pulling out the big guns Badmoon :D , there is one little thing you failed to mention which is the price of those injections may cost thousands but me and you both know the insurance company doesn't pay the full amount. Matter of fact I would go so far as to say they pay less than half.
But you are right, insurance of any kind is a risk business. They rate premiums based on the previous years employee claims. No one gets sick premiums go down or stay the same, someone gets sick, rates go up. The questionaires you fill out when you are first hired on a job and they give you the insurance forms to fill out... they are asking those questions for a reason. I have to fill out a health assessment every year for me and my family.

I understand that too, but insurance companies are making billions, so I'm not crying for them. :lol

Anyway, I just don't think companies need to be in our personal business outside of work. If they're going to be, then they need to lay down those laws before hiring me.

Ween this is also why I think it should be illegal to run a persons credit before hiring them. Unless you work around money there is no reason an employer needs to see your credit history. The mistakes someone made in college and the unethical tactics of credit card companies should not be held against someone looking for a job.

Ween this is also why I think it should be illegal to run a persons credit before hiring them. Unless you work around money there is no reason an employer needs to see your credit history. The mistakes someone made in college and the unethical tactics of credit card companies should not be held against someone looking for a job.

I agree with that too. I think there's so many people looking for work that they're finding any way they can widdle the stack of applicants down.

I agree with that too. I think there's so many people looking for work that they're finding any way they can widdle the stack of applicants down.

Exactly. But with the latest recession they will be hard pressed to find an applicant without some blemish on their credit who is looking for a job.

I would love to educate you Ween but this is about as far as I can go. And John I was talking about contracted rates. Not what they charge. :lecture

I would love to educate you Ween but this is about as far as I can go. And John I was talking about contracted rates. Not what they charge. :lecture

Educate me on insurance? Nah, it's not that important. I take it you're in the insurance business?

Some things are best left to conversations over coffee or beers than message boards. Too much typing and misunderstanding are to easy.

:)

Back