Trick Or Treat Studios: Halloween 1, 2, 4, 5 and 2018 Michael Myers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would cancel SS's pre-order. Not because you are not going to get it, but because at this point you can wait. Unless you have found a tremendous deal on this, it will be around for awhile.
This is a stupid hobby, but you really need to know what kind of collector you are. Financial stability plays a big part in how you collect; or not:cuckoo:
Do you just take them out of the package and display? Do you modify? What satisfaction do you get from this hobby?
Are you enamored with SS's version? If you are then get it. If there are parts you like, then wait until it's parted out. If you are not strapped for cash then let it ride out.

Need some advice.

Is it even worth it to get the sideshow figure now? I feel like with the mods I made to this figure, that I don?t really need another Myers, and tots is releasing the accessories pack. Should I go ahead and just cancel the sideshow one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what you are looking for in a figure. For me I put it in a pose and displayed it so the extra articulation the SS will have doesn't matter for my purposes. I prefer the TOTs mask sculpt which is my number 1 in choosing and the paint is quite good on my copy. If accessories coming with the figure are important to you definitely go with SS. TOTs is apparently doing an accessory set but what it has and what it will cost is unknown. Then there is the price of course with the SS costing considerably more. Maybe wait for SS production pics to see if they are as good as the proto.

I decided to cancel and get me a ROTJ Luke. Thanks for the input guys.

I would recommend the upcoming Sideshow version over the Trick or Treat one.
The Trick or treat figure has been overhyped to death, I don't recall a 1/6 figure being this overhyped in the last few years.
It's not the worst figure ever, but it's certainly not a good figure, nor does it have the best Myers headsculpt, this opinion is ridiculous. The Madbugs (1 & 2) et Ones customs (Blackest eyes 2) are the best. The TOT one is average. Not the worst thing around but certainly not very good. As for the coveralls, hands, body, knife, the TOT one is just bad.
The Sideshow one looks a bit different from the original design, but it actually looks promising, and it will fit with your Jason & Freddy if you got those.

But let's just be real, the only way to get a proper 1/6 Myers is still with the custom world.
Spend your money on something of value, this figure is not worth it, even for the coveralls (which really don't look that good, tailoring or color-wise).

I would recommend the upcoming Sideshow version over the Trick or Treat one.
The Trick or treat figure has been overhyped to death, I don't recall a 1/6 figure being this overhyped in the last few years.
It's not the worst figure ever, but it's certainly not a good figure, nor does it have the best Myers headsculpt, this opinion is ridiculous. The Madbugs (1 & 2) et Ones customs (Blackest eyes 2) are the best. The TOT one is average. Not the worst thing around but certainly not very good. As for the coveralls, hands, body, knife, the TOT one is just bad.
The Sideshow one looks a bit different from the original design, but it actually looks promising, and it will fit with your Jason & Freddy if you got those.

But let's just be real, the only way to get a proper 1/6 Myers is still with the custom world.
Spend your money on something of value, this figure is not worth it, even for the coveralls (which really don't look that good, tailoring or color-wise).

The tots figure was practically designed by people in the custom community.

Yeah but they mass produced part of their work, it's not the same. Tinela has an amazing talent, her original coveralls look a lot better than what TOT did with her blueprints. But I will argue that the Yunsil coveralls are miles better than Tinela's anyway (still give huge props to Tinela for her work).
As for the headsculpt, they should've chosen the Madbug ones, they're still the best by far after all these years. Either version 1 or 2. Or eventually Ones' Blackest Eyes 2, it's still one of the best out there, but it isn't as precise as the Madbug ones.

As for the rest, body, knife, boots and hands, they certainly don't come from the custom community. The hands, body & boots aren't custom anyway, they're kitbashed from various Hot Toys figures, and what we have with the TOT figure is ridiculous. The knife I can understand, but yeah you should go custom for this one anyway, made out of real metal.

I'm not sure I understand what's the audience for this TOT figure, maybe people who haven't watched Halloween in decades and have a vague memory of what Myers looked like in this first movie.

Right? Come on now.. issues aside, this figure is wonderful. Even Hot Toys could look like **** under bad lighting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I don’t care about disliking the figure, it’s not for everyone, it’s when criticism of a piece turns to criticism of the people who like it.

I like the figure. If others don't then fair enough. Other people can see things differently. I also own quite a few original custom heads. You can like both.

I have taken some more pictures under different lighting conditions.

Attachments

• 20201126_192754-1.jpg
    20201126_192754-1.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20201126_192801-1.jpg
    20201126_192801-1.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20201126_192747-1.jpg
    20201126_192747-1.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20201126_192723-1.jpg
    20201126_192723-1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20201126_002314-1.jpg
    20201126_002314-1.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20201125_083051-1.jpg
    20201125_083051-1.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20201125_082913-1.jpg
    20201125_082913-1.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20201124_082334-1-1.jpg
    20201124_082334-1-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 20201124_082151-1.jpg
    20201124_082151-1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 20201124_080422-1.jpg
    20201124_080422-1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20201124_075428-1.jpg
    20201124_075428-1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 109
Yes I did. There was a white fleck of paint over the right eye and some on the skin so I saw it as an opportunity to repaint it. I repainted the eyes totally as I felt they were slighty too close together and a bit big but I think the sculpt would work just as well if they were actually blacked out on the head.

I'm not sure I understand what's the audience for this TOT figure, maybe people who haven't watched Halloween in decades and have a vague memory of what Myers looked like in this first movie.

Anyone who want's a really good representation of the Shape from '78. The reason this is so hyped is because TOTs has never done a 1/6 before and 1/6 collectors have been waiting a long time for a good official original Michael Myers. The sculpt is amazing. I dare say the sculpt is up there with the best. It's fine if you don't like it and there are other options like the Sideshow which looks quite good in the proto stage. No need to insult those that like it.

I really appreciate the pictures from people who light the figure properly, the sculpt does look better when properly lit, especially on camera & pictures, but it doesn't really change the fact the sculpt is off, from my humble point of view.
In person, it really doesn't work, especially when you don't bother lighting it correctly. But even so, taking the lighting in consideration, I've never had this problem with other high end figures. Arguably, most figures look a lot better with an artificial light above them (that's why it's always lit this way when you go in a figure shop), but take whatever Hot Toys figure you want, they look amazing in natural light, whatever light really.

It's interesting how this particular figure divides people. I'm glad if it pleases most people, that's the most important. I'm happy about one thing: the box. Finally a proper nice box of Halloween.

I have one question for you guys, without gossiping and without being harsh, do you think Dean Knight (I love his videos, some of the best reviews around in my opinion) is really sincere and objective with this particular figure?
He knows his subject, he has the most impressive Myers collection I've ever seen, he owns most of the custom figures that have been released so far. When I saw his review of the figure, I was convinced. Then I got the figure, and absolutely didn't see what he saw, but he knows his subject better than I do, at least that's what I thought.
However, I went back to check older videos of his, and it appears he is in personal contact with the person who made the coveralls for the TOT figure, and ordered customized coveralls. And it seems to me he also knows the guy who made the headsculpt.
So I just wondered if he's really objective when it comes to this particular figure, because he knows the people involved with it. I wonder if he somehow gets a pourcentage of the sales, or if he's just making sure to keep in good relation with them in case he wants another pair of personalized coveralls & so on... You know what I mean?
I could be wrong suspecting that, maybe his take on the figure is what he really feels, but I can't help but suspect he's really not objective on this review, it bothers me. Even if it's the case, I'll still follow his channel because he does an amazing job (lighting, shots, commentary, it's perfect).

You have to remember that before his review, some earlier reviews weren't good, but when he released his video with the perfect lighting, it made a lot of people change their mind. Just some of my thoughts.

Have a nice day everyone.

I like the figure. If others don't then fair enough. Other people can see things differently. I also own quite a few original custom heads. You can like both.

I have taken some more pictures under different lighting conditions.

Sorry for the double post but one of your last shots is absolutely amazing.

I think Dean was honest, he said good things but he didn’t say the whole figure was the best thing ever, he put the head on his primary figure but kept his custom body, coveralls and everything else.

I think Dean was honest, he said good things but he didn’t say the whole figure was the best thing ever, he put the head on his primary figure but kept his custom body, coveralls and everything else.

True, he did only use the headsculpt on his perfect 78, and the box (no surprise there, the box is fantastic). Then again, he owns most dream custom figures, so I wasn't really surprised this figure wouldn't be of great use to him. I was surprised that he did use the headsculpt though, as much as I tried, I can't come to the same result/conclusions. Hence why I wonder if he was dead honest about it. He obviously couldn't use the coveralls or anything else on that figure given what he has. When you compare a Fergo knife to the TOT knife... haha.
But yeah, was just wondering.

I will make some pictures and comparisons too with a proper lighting when I can.

The problem with Myers, especially ‘78, is that his face is made of rubber, so between different people wearing the mask, different conditions affecting it even when the same person, there are a number of looks that a fan could look at and say, that’s what I think a figure should look like.

From what I’ve seen, Dean’s vision seems influenced by promotional photos, which is what I think of myself, and he and I see the ToTS sculpt as nailing that look. He even references specific images in his review and how the figure lives up to it.

Personally, I don’t like any of the madbug sculpts, they’re some of the best you could get in the custom world, but for me they’ve always been a case of “not what I want but better than anything I’ve seen prior.” Onescustoms does cool work, but I feel like those always look angry, like emotion has been added to the sculpts and what I like most with Myers is the emotionless quality of the mask.

I’m also not a fan of the Yunsil coverall color, it could just be photos, but to me it always seems too light of a gray.

I learn everyday with the various customizations of Myers. There are several Yunsil coveralls, at least 4 or 5 variants, maybe more. The original tailoring from years ago is different from the recent ones (especially around the waist). But there's also different colors. Earlier versions were gray without the greenish tint, some were charcoal blue, and the latest ones are charcoal gray and change color depending of the light (it can look blue or green depending of the light), but even then there are at least two different versions of the charcoal gray/greenish one. The final runs aren't the same color as one of the most recent runs. Final run has a darker green color, the other one is clearer and greener.
Those yunsil coveralls are my personal favorites by far.

As for the Madbug, I really love those, it's more accurate to what I'm seeing in the first film. I agree that the TOT HS can look great the way Dean light it in his video, but I absolutely can't manage to get the exact same result, I wonder if we all got the same headsculpt haha.

Well here is my opinion. Not that I know everything but I am a huge fan of the original 78 Halloween.

Everyone has their own ideas in their head of what the best look for Myers is. There are quite a few different custom sculpts out there (which I have seen most) and honestly most just do not look like how I see Myers. Even though they are expensive and some people love them. I have caines first custom sculpt which I like but still its not my favorite. Had the opportunity to get another custom sculpt but choose to go with a 2nd tots head instead. I have one with the sculpted and one with real hair.

I am always seeing people make the comment about lightning. The thing is, how many times in the movie do you get a great close up shot of the Myers mask in day light? The hedge and clothes line scene are the only good daylight shots and they are so far away. Yes Hot Toys are amazing and usually nail their figures but I dont think using the any light statement is fair because you see all those characters in different light. Myers is basically always in dim or artificial light. Plus different actors playing the shape throughout the movie affect his appearance.

Is the figure perfect? No, not at all.
- I would have preferred a more charcoal color coveralls. But I get why they went with blue. I'd say the majority of casual fans would think they were blue. Even though they aren't the color I would want I think they are done really nice. Sure a more rugged type of material would have been cool, but they serve their purpose quite well.
-A body with double jointed elbows and more detailed hands would have been an improvement.
-I like real boots with laces but the sculpted are mostly covered and some people like the sculpted look instead.
-Making sure the paint jobs were consistently good with more life like eyes.

With all that that being said I 100% believe Dean is being truthful in his opinion. He would not put that sculpt on his main figure if he didn't think it was the best look to him. I am one that would agree with him and feel the sculpt is a great representation of my favorite character. I made tweaks to both of mine but thats because I like tinkering with things and want it to look how I want. Overall I think its a great figure though.

Back