Trevor Grove's Firefly Sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trevor's Firefly Sculpts

Soak the clothes in some hot water, dress the figure, "mold" them to how you want them to fit, then let them dry! Easy peasey.

In reply to the request for a recipe for the Kaylee and Wash figures.

Kaylee:
Shirt: Barbie Happy Family Doctor 2002
Coveralls: BBI Elite Force F-15A Female Pilot customised
Ncklace: Hot Toys Sheva Alomar
Teddy Bear: Saturdays Toys Fire Fighter
Pipe wrench: 1/6 tool set off eBay
Patches: Images taken from eBay and printed onto Iron-on Inkjet Fabric
Shoes: Black boot from eBay
Body: Hot Toys TT Caucasian Female

Wash:
Shirt: SSC Vampire Spike Exclusive
Coveralls: Saturdays Toys Wardrobe Prison Coveralls (tan) customized
T-shirt: Dragon brown long sleeve t-shirt
Boots: BBI Obergefreiter WWll boots
Dinos: Hand sculpted from gray and russet Sculpy
Body: Hot Toys TT Slim Caucasian Male

Hope this is some help.

Old Grandpa

for a bash, I think those two look terrific. Wash has a baggy look in a lot of promo shots....Kaylee looks like she'll be spot on....but that's just my opinion.

Trev

Zoe Paint Up

I've been painting quite a few of these lately. The whole series are a pleasure to paint. Kudos to Trevor.
386752650.jpg

Last edited:

I have been admiring these sculpts for quite awhile. Just very nicely done.

Re: Zoe Paint Up

I've been painting quite a few of these lately. The whole series are a pleasure to paint. Kudos to Trevor.
386752650.jpg

John your work is great as always. If i could make a suggestion one of her eyes is a bit off and may need to come over just a tad.

^^^^^

I agree about the eye. First thing I noticed. ;)

That aside: beautiful work! :clap

You are dead right. Wash'es clothes are way to loose a fit. Unfortunatly I don't know how to sew, so I buy what's already available on the retail market and bash it together, I may try a huskier body and cut the legs down in length. I used the slim body because it is shorter than the other TT's.
I would try just making the clothes tigter. Wash is a fairly lean guy, so im not sure that buying a bulkier body would look right. A minor modicifation like that should be pretty easy, even if you have never sewn before.

I disagree about Kaylee's outfit. The clothes fit just the way she wears them in photos I've seen.
I would tighten it up around the collar a bit. The flowery shirt that she wears on the show is very tight and fits snug, wheras the one you are using fits like Pajamas.

About the zipper. There are some things that are beyond your control when dressing a 1/6 figure. Buttons, zippers and fabric thickness are amoung these. Being a non-sewer, I kind of have to eccept whats' available, although I do have the sewing skill to replace a button or two, but even the best buttons are still out of scale.
Look at the new black widow zipper. That seems to be a well fit 1/6 zipper. At the very least I would take off the zipper handle thing and replace it with a small bit of metal. That would do worlds for improving the scaled look of the figure.

Last edited:

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics but since my wife left the digital camera in the hotel where we vacationed its the best I can do at the moment.
crew.jpg

still have to make Wash's vest.

Look at the new black widow zipper. That seems to be a well fit 1/6 zipper. At the very least I would take off the zipper handle thing and replace it with a small bit of metal. That would do worlds for improving the scaled look of the figure.

I know of no place that sells zippers like the one used on the Hot Toys Black Widow. If you're Hot Toys you can have someone in China make you a run of a few thousand special zippers. As a layman, I don't have those resources. I take what I can find off the peg and live with it, but thanks for the comments.

If you could, will you post some of your bashes so I can see what you've done. I'm always eager to see other peoples work.

Old Grandpa

Last edited:

Grandpa, here is a place you can get some small zippers for cheap: https://www.tinyzippers.com/dollzippers.html

Hey Reinhardt, thanks for the tip on the tiny zippers. I ordered some in various colors. I'll see what I can do to correct the zipper problem, short of ruining the jumpsuit all togther. They don't make one in OD.

Old Grandpa

Found a seamstress that will remove the extra large zipper and replace it with one from Tiny Zippers when they arrive. I don't have the sewing skills to replace a zipper.

Old Grandpa

Back