Toy Biz 12 inch Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabgarde

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I posted this before but in the wrong category :slap
Anyway, is the Toy Biz 12 inch Gandalf the Grey worth using for any custom figure? I've owned one for years and have read a lot of reviews with comments ranging from "mediocre" to "decent". I know the accessories aren't perfect and the hair is too thick (i thinned down mine's) but i just can't afford Sideshow's version. Is the headsculpt good enough so that you could just tweak it to make it look more like Gandalf?

I would say they only thing that is really bad on it is the doll hair beard. Toybiz put out some quality stuff.

Got to agree with you on the beard. It took a long time for the hair and beard to relax, "straighten" and flatten.

Still don't think you'll be able to beat Tim's sclupt:

021708prodblog02.jpg

probably not, but at least better than what he (Toy Biz Gandalf) looks like now (if he were re-sculpted/repainted)

Last edited:
Oh, can anyone tell me how to post pics from photobucket?

Okay I'll do my best.

First go to your photobucket page select the image you want to import.

A window like this will be visible.

Sharethisimage.png

Copy the 'Direct link' code.

Go back to you SF page.

Screenshot2011-04-28at085400-1.png

Select the 'Insert Image' icon above

A window like this will pop up

Screenshot2011-04-28at090143.png

Past the 'Direct link' code here.

The code of the image you selected will appear in your post window.

Will look something like this (IMG]https:// Direct Like code here [/IMG)

When you preview or submit your post the image will be in place.

Hope this is of some help, I am sure there are instructions somewhere on this site, but this might do you for now.

Best of luck with it gabgarde, hope it works for you.

:duff
Bill

Just wanted to share pics of my Toy Biz Gandalf and, thanks to Bill, I can! Pics are a little blurry though.
SDC11814.jpg

SDC11810.jpg

SDC11809.jpg

SDC11812.jpg

Last edited:
You definitely made him look better! The hat is still ridiculous, of course.

I think the clothing is quite salvagable, and the cord belt is actually better than Sideshow's version.

Hair aside, I think there's a decent McKellen likeness there. Problem is, to me it looks like McKellen without the Gandalf makeup (i.e. no oversized nose to compensate for the beard.)

If Sideshow's full figure is out of your price range, you might consider picking up a loose body/head if a place like Toy Anxiety ever gets any in again. Then just add the Toybiz clothes. Of course, you might also want the better Sideshow accessories - sword/scabbard/belt and staff.

Problem is, to me it looks like McKellen without the Gandalf makeup (i.e. no oversized nose to compensate for the beard.)

Maye when they used the "Real Scan" on Ian McKellen they forgot that he wore a fake nose in the movie.

If Sideshow's full figure is out of your price range, you might consider picking up a loose body/head if a place like Toy Anxiety ever gets any in again. Then just add the Toybiz clothes. Of course, you might also want the better Sideshow accessories - sword/scabbard/belt and staff.

Thanks for the info. I never knew that you could buy loose Gandalf parts on the internet. I've been looking for that kind of stuff in the same stores over and over again because they're the only stores I know.

Last edited:
I´m starting with my LOTR collection, I went for Asmus in majority, but for the gray version I purchased the Toy Biz, even with all the hate that figure has, is not that bad, actually for the price I love it. here are some photos.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Back