Top 5 Things why PT worked for me!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. The fact that ROTS was better than ROTJ.

2. Each movie was a hell of a fun cultural event, regardless of whether or not the actual film lived up to it.

3. Great new John Williams music, Ben Burtt sound effects, and planet/spaceship designs.

4. Genuine badass moments from Darth Maul, Jango Fett, and even Anakin in ROTS.

5. The fact that after 1983 I thought I'd never again see new SW footage, so really everything good in the PT was just gravy.

You know what was awesome? Did anyone see that Celebration whatever 10 minute Revenge of the Sith clip? Someone bootlegged that, and it was the coolest thing i've ever seen. It used Van Helsing music for some reason, but totally worked. Showed so much cool stuff.

I wish I could find it again.

2. Each movie was a hell of a fun cultural event, regardless of whether or not the actual film lived up to it.

3. Great new John Williams music, Ben Burtt sound effects, and planet/spaceship designs.

4. Genuine badass moments from Darth Maul, Jango Fett, and even Anakin in ROTS.

5. The fact that after 1983 I thought I'd never again see new SW footage, so really everything good in the PT was just gravy.

:exactly: Great Post

I remember when the ROTS trailer first came out on the Fox network. I had to sit through some terrible TV show I think it was the OC or something. The show was so boring but they finally aired the trailer at the end of the show. I remember the internet was buzzing as the trailer was awesome and for me I really think ROTS lived up to it's hype. It's the best of the PT by far.

1. Clontroopers
2. Palpatine rise to power
3. Ewan as Obi was well done
4. Saber fights was stepped up from the OT
5. You got to see Jedi in there Prime

The top 5 reasons that the PT worked for me are simple

1 - Darth Maul is the single best Star Wars villain...period.
2 - It had been 20 years and I was desparate for ANYTHING Star Wars.
3 - Despite the way she was directed to act (which was pathetic, at best) Natale Portman is hot (and she is a very good actress despite the PT).
4 - There was some very cool new tech design in the form of weapons and ships.
5 - Did I mention that it had been 20 years and I was desparate for ANYTHING Star Wars?

I forgot a big one:

6. ROTJ is a much better movie after the PT (specifically ROTS.) There's now greater poignancy in Vader's decision to save Luke after his misstep when Mace Windu was being electrocuted. I also like that when Luke temporarily gains "the high ground" Vader throws his saber to bring him down instead of recklessly jumping up to meet him.

I forgot a big one:

6. ROTJ is a much better movie after the PT (specifically ROTS.) There's now greater poignancy in Vader's decision to save Luke after his misstep when Mace Windu was being electrocuted. I also like that when Luke temporarily gains "the high ground" Vader throws his saber to bring him down instead of recklessly jumping up to meet him.

I find that a pretty powerful moment anyway regardless of anything I saw in the PT. :dunno

QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this. If you're only comparing ROTS to ROTJ I think Sith is the much more cohesive and better story. Of course this doesn't make the PT the better trilogy, but I believe Sith tops Jedi everytime. There are so many more things wrong with Jedi...in my opinion.

Yep.

People complain about the PT turning previous badasses into pansies. ROTJ did it first.

People complain about the PT featuring bad acting except for Ian McDiarmid. ROTJ did it first.

People complaing about the PT having static "talking head" scenes in front of dodgy 2D backgrounds. ROTJ did it first.

People complain about the PT having "cute" characters made to sell toys. ROTJ did it first.

People complain about Lucas being surrounded by "yes" men who didn't challenge his story arcs. ROTJ did it first.

And so on. And the fact that ROTJ did all those things after being perfectly set up by ANH and TESB makes it much more unforgivable. I still prefer the OT, but movie to movie ROTS is absolutely the better film.

Yep.

People complain about the PT turning previous badasses into pansies. ROTJ did it first.

People complain about the PT featuring bad acting except for Ian McDiarmid. ROTJ did it first.

People complaing about the PT having static "talking head" scenes in front of dodgy 2D backgrounds. ROTJ did it first.

People complain about the PT having "cute" characters made to sell toys. ROTJ did it first.

People complain about Lucas being surrounded by "yes" men who didn't challenge his story arcs. ROTJ did it first.

And so on. And the fact that ROTJ did all those things after being perfectly set up by ANH and TESB makes it much more unforgivable. I still prefer the OT, but movie to movie ROTS is absolutely the better film.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drkh0YLF8rI"]YouTube - ‪"I've Got A Bad Feeling About This!"‬‏[/ame]

You know I don't think I ever realized that 3PO said that as he was walking into Jabba's palace. Even after 28 years, you learn something new every day. :lol

Yep.

Yup, I think some people's love for the OT clouds their judgement in admitting that there were problems well before TPM, however, they weren't nearly as glaring.

Yep. All the more amazing that the PT made it an even better scene.

Well thats the thing, I don't think the PT had any discernible effect on my perception and feelings about the scene. My hope about that PT before it actually came to be was always that it would enhance the OT but for me it just doesn't. The OT is neither worsened nor improved by the PT IMO.

Meanwhile I simply cannot agree that Sith is better than Jedi. Yes Jedi may have some of the same problems but how does that make it a worse film? Surely one should only consider it 'as bad' or 'as good' whatever your viewpoint of the prequels. And I don't see how ROTJ following on from 2 excellent films is a case for saying that ROTS is a better film...just because it followed on from 2 crappy films and had less to live up to? How does that work? Crap is surely crap and is actually more likely to be crap if its predecessors provided such a crap foundation which, IMO, proved to be the case.

Yep.

I am just curious as to what you were referring to as bad acting in ROTJ? I think i can find bad acting in most films..just curious which parts you thought were bad.

Meanwhile I simply cannot agree that Sith is better than Jedi.

I wouldn't expect you to. Especially since you come from the camp that compartmentalizes all the "good" of SW into the OT and the "bad" into the PT. I'm glad that the rose colored glasses of my youth don't ignore all the bad of the OT and the good of the PT. If I were to objectively pair off the better and lesser trilogies it would be ROTS, ANH, and TESB vs. TPM, AOTC, and ROTJ. I still greatly enjoy the latter films, just not as much as the former.

The best scenes in ROTJ are Luke going off on Vader and Vader's funeral pyre, which are really no more than inspired photography set to brilliant John Williams music. ROTS had more filmmaking "meat," IMO. With solid performances by not only Ian McDiarmid but also Ewan McGregor at the very least, great scenes that relied not only on great photography and music but dialogue and editing as well (the intercut sequence between Obi-Wan and Yoda, Palpatine announcing the Empire, and Anakin slaughtering the separatists is fantastic, for instance.) ROTS also had a feeling of actual stakes. You knew and felt that if the heroes failed all would be lost. In ROTJ failure for the heroes was an alternative in the technical sense, but never a viable possibility. The battles were just too easy for everyone, to the point that no one suffered any loss. A stark contrast to the drama in ROTS, ANH, and TESB.

Last edited:
I am just curious as to what you were referring to as bad acting in ROTJ?

All the exchanges between Ford and Billy Dee Williams, Ford and Fisher, Ford and Hamill, etc. :lol

Harrison obviously didn't want to be in the movie and apparently did his best to bring everyone else around him down. Hamill and Fisher didn't play off each other too well either.

To each his own..I didnt see that or feel it while watching. It also goes back to I was a kid when I first saw them and the feeling stuck with me...just like if an adult would go to Disney World for the first time he may see it as completely boring more so as a child who visited and then returned as an adult. I did however expect Lucas to bring more to the table when doing the PT. He had 20 years to reflect and come up with a great blueprint for the films...I think he failed more in the execution than the planning though.

Back