TiVo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali032373

Super Freak
Reaction score
I searched and didn't see an offical thread. Surprising on this site.

I just got the TiVo Prem XL and I have to say it beats the crap out of Time Warner Cable's Scientific Atlanta DVR. That DVR continually froze up, cut off shows, and was slow to respond to remote commands. It was just an awful experience. To be emphatic- TiIME WARNER CABLE IS A TERRIBLE PROVIDER. But I live in NYC and there is no other choice.

With TWC they rent you all the equipment. I was paying ~$60 a month for DVR service and to rent the box, modem, et al. Now, I own my own all my stuff.

So with TiVo, I am going for the lifetime fee and I will be done with the monthly crap. Plus, it's very user friendly. If you're holding back- I will say TiVo is pretty cool.

After doing the math, it will pay for itself after ~2.5 yrs. Anyone else got TiVo or a similar experience?

I will tell you this with TiVo. The lifetime fee is for the life of the unit. Please read that part carefully. If it dies or what have you, so does your lifetime membership.

Last edited:
I will tell you this with TiVo. The lifetime fee is for the life of the unit. Please read that part carefully. If it dies or what have you so does your lifetime membership.

woah, now thats ____in shady ..... :monkey1

woah, now thats ____in shady ..... :monkey1

It sure is. But this is what happens when people don't read what they are signing. Unfortunately we must all read the fine print at all times or be ____ed. :lol

Check out number 6. :wink1:

https://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivoservicepaymentplanstermsandconditions.html

The Product Lifetime Subscription to the TiVo service includes a subscription for the useable life of the TiVo DVR you buy – not the life of the subscriber – and may not be transferred to another TiVo DVR. A Product Lifetime Subscription accompanies the TiVo DVR it is associated with in case of ownership transfer of that TiVo DVR. For more information on Product Lifetime Subscriptions, please refer to the TiVo Service Agreement. Of course, hardware products don't last forever and their lifespan will vary. TiVo makes no warranties or representations as to the expected lifetime of the TiVo DVR (aside from the manufacturer's Limited Warranty).

looks pretty clear now tho.
I went and looked at the subscription rates and it says right there its "For the live of your TIVO DVR"

looks pretty clear now tho.
I went and looked at the subscription rates and it says right there its "For the live of your TIVO DVR"

Yeah so if you buy this hope your DVR lasts around 3 years. However, 3 years is an eternity for electronics. I think I would take my chances on the monthly rate. There would probably be an upgrade I would want anyways.

Hell in three years there will be 20,789 different droid operated phones released. :lol

I've had Tivo since 2001. Absolutely love it. But its true about the "lifetime" subscription. In fact, i'm with DirecTV and they wanted to phase out all Tivo lifetime deals so they basically renig'd on the subscription -- my Tivo was still going strong after 9 years -- and I get this letter from DirecTV asking me to provide evidence of the lifetime subscription. Mind you, they have had me on it for 9 years, but now they asked me to find the old paperwork to actually prove it. I didn't have the paperwork after 9 years. So they cancelled the subscription but as a courtesy they gave me an additional year with no charge -- a kind of buy-out. That buy-out ended last October. There is no more lifetime Tivo with DirecTV.

But I feel I got a good ten years out of it. I'm looking to get a newer DVR anyway.

I saw it as well. It's for the life of th dvr, not for your life. Still better than TWC.

Back