Tips on Shooting Photos?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dleebatman1

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I just got a new digital camera for Christmas. It's a Fujifilm Finepix J-10. It seems that no matter what lighting mode I set it on or which zoom I use, my pics always come out way too blurry at such close range for a sixth-scale figure.

Do I just have a cheap camera or is there a certain environment I need to put the figures in?

Not familiar with the camera, but does it have a Macro function (little flower logo)? That's a must for snapping pics of small things close up. Also a must: a tripod. You can get a good one for around $20. That will cut down a lot on the blurriness.

First off, to get the best pictures, turn off flash and use lights to illuminate the scene. To get the sharpest photos, use a tripod. The darker the scene->the longer the shutter will stay open which means if you aren't using a tripod it's impossible to hold it still enough during that time.

Zoom settings---unless it's optical zoom, don't use them. Digital zoom just zooms into the image (like cropping a picture) while optical zoom will adjust the camera lens to zoom in which won't lose quality.

As far as shooting small things, usually you need a good camera lens, if you've got a good optical zoom range, move the camera back further and zoom in to the figure. Otherwise you might not have a good enough camera to be able to change the focus to something that close to the camera.

Thanks for the tips.

picture.php

Last edited:
for close shots try to find a "macro" feature like explained above. i also use a "portrait" feature on my camera which seems to be face-friendly and it cant tell the difference between a figure's face and a human face so it seems to work great. cheapness of the camera shouldnt matter. it's all about megapixels and what lighting you use. i never use a flash cuz it just reflects light off of the plastic.

these close-ups were taken on my relatively cheap camera.
IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

My first attempts at photography with an old Dragon figure that I attempted making custom burn wounds on:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Back