Tips on how to move your collectables to your new place?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cplhicks

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have just moved out and I am getting ready to move some of stuff to my apartment. I have never done this before and I don't want to break anything or lose anything.

The new place is pretty close by 20-30 mins and I would be doing the transporting myself in a Ford Escape.

Any and all tips are welcomed :)

Last edited:
Re: Tips on how to move your collectables to your new place

I f you have the original packaging that would be best. Otherwise I would say use lots of Styrofoam and drive carefully. I have moved many times some were local or halfway across the nation and I have never had anything break. Just pack everything carefully to where it doesn't move and to where the boxes don't shift either. I hope this helps and good luck with the move.

Re: Tips on how to move your collectables to your new place

I've had to do this 5 or 6 times (I'm probably underestimating that number).
It would be best to have as few moving boxes as possible (fewer to get lost). The last few times I just had enough, and placed several boxed up figures (in their original packaging) in several wardrobe boxes. these are much easier to keep track of and work better with all the space boxed figures take up.

The last time I moved I had gotten rid of the wardrobe boxes and most of the figures packing, so I just used a few plastic storage tubs with lids that I placed several unboxed figures wrapped in cloth (clean sheets, towels etc.) in layers, these layers were separated by cardboard shelves that I made for them supported by cardboard tubes (a bit sturdier then paper towel tubes) which were notched and taped to the shelves underneath to support the weight.
The accessories had their own boxes (brown shipping boxes I had on hand), but I kept track of everything with white masking tape that I wrote which figures these belonged to on the tape. The accessories were then wrapped in packing stuff that I had on hand; bubble wrap, styro peanuts, those inflated plastic bags Sideshow sometimes uses to ship out figures, but mostly brown packing paper.

I'm going through the same thing myself and am more worried about moving my detolfs then the figures themselves. To disassemble or not?

I'm going through the same thing myself and am more worried about moving my detolfs then the figures themselves. To disassemble or not?

I've done this before. Disassemble. I wrapped each piece of glass in a big blanket and laid them across the cargo area of my Jeep.

Honestly last time I did this I just wrapped each one in a T-shirt and packed them in a box. Worked fine.

I rented a Uhaul truck, so I had plenty of space with belongings and detolf space. Just wrapped mine in two blankets per case and wrapped the outsides in a few circles of packing tape. Lots of flimsy glass aside, just cushion them up, lay them flat, and drive gently! I got two cases moved easy.

I'll have to do this soon. I vote disassemble.

I've done this before. Disassemble. I wrapped each piece of glass in a big blanket and laid them across the cargo area of my Jeep.

I STRONGLY Vote Dissasemble. I smashed a detolf by not doing that while moving last time.

I only need to move three and am worried that they wont reassemble properly. Ohh the laziness that is me.

This is what i would do.

Buy those huge rubbermaid bins , stand up all your figures on their stands , and put the bin in your backseat when you drive to your new place .

when i move , i may do that or put them back in their boxes

OP: you've probably moved by now, but if not......

For a cross-town move, put your figs standing up on their stands in a huge plastic bin, and use your bath towels, sweat pants, and even socks to create cushion space between them.

As for the Detolfs, if you can, move them by truck. Take out all the shelves, lay down a comforter and lay them side by side. Use the rest of the comforter or quilts as padding in between them.

You don't need to disassemble for such a short trip.

Use two people to carry them one at a time by carrying them flat. Then all you have to do is Windex them once you get them to your new place and reinstall the shelves.

some good sugestions.

I'm getting ready probably next year or so to a bigger house! It looks like I'm getting my own collection/office space! :rock But I've been thinging about this topic. I'll probably drive my collection personally vs the movers. Though I have all the original boxes... the wardrobe box idea is great.

If it is only figures, without boxes, I'd baggie the accessories then stand the figs in tubs.

Disassemble for sure.
They are easier to move in pieces and easy to put together again.
You have a large enough car to lay them on top of each other behind the passenger seat.
As long as they are flat and have a blanket underneath and you don't go over too many potholes or speedbumps they'll be fine.

With regards to figures wrap well in boxes and fill any gaps with paper to stop movement.
Write on the boxes so you know whats in each one.

Good luck;)

some good sugestions.

I'm getting ready probably next year or so to a bigger house! It looks like I'm getting my own collection/office space! :rock But I've been thinging about this topic. I'll probably drive my collection personally vs the movers. Though I have all the original boxes... the wardrobe box idea is great.

If it is only figures, without boxes, I'd baggie the accessories then stand the figs in tubs.

Congrats on getting your own collectible a space! That's the dream, eh?

Wow great thread and awesome advice fellas :exactly:
It must surely be the number one dread for all of us having to shift all our prized possessions :monkey4
When I moved a couple of summers ago, it wasn't too bad; the majority of my collection were still MIB having been stored in my folks loft for years due to not having any space to display. When we moved here i was like a kid in a candy shop getting to open all my collection one by one :yess: My girl was good enough in giving me the spare room to convert into my man cave. I bought a load of Bestas and Billy's to display my stuff too which was epic.
Now we're planning to move to a bigger place by March and I've been dreading it daily thinking about the sheer logistics of moving everything! Also finding somewhere with a decent sized man cave V2!

I think I'll start packing the collection by Nov/Dec. I've got the majority of the boxes but I'm just weighing up the value of re-boxing them vs packing them in containers together like some have suggested. Obviously statues are a must have to be boxed up but the dolls..not too sure?? Plus I'm very lazy...

As for the cabinets? Do you guys recommend removing the glass doors or taping them to the cabinets themselves? Disassembling the units completely is an impossibility :/

for my collectibles, the ONLY safe way to move them around is using the original packaging designed to keep it safe during transport. you're taking a chance with anything else.

I moved four Detolfs, fully intact, two at a time in the bed of a truck. No need to disassemble. Just put down bedding/quilts/padding around them.

And pull out the glass shelves, naturally. Put paper towels between them, pack them together in a plastic or metal container (not cardboard.... they're really heavy when packed together).

I'd fear doing more damage to my figures by taking them all apart (web ger on Joes can be delicate), re-boxing them (possibly damaging paint apps and bending box lids), then reopening and reassembling them.

Plus all the time needed to do that for 25 figures (15 mins each perhaps? That's 6+ hours of packing).

But, it's all up to you, and also kinda dependent on how far you're going. If you're moving a few states away you'll likely be more cautious than a ten-minute cross-town move.

Best of luck with it all!

Back