Those inclined to build your own shelves-DON'T!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
We had an earthquake the other night. It was the first one in my area since a really big one about 12 years ago. It was just a small jolt and an Aquaman action figure fell over, but nothing else happened. I was very pleased, because I expected a major statue-catastrophe for an earthquake.

But today, just sitting here, no earthquake or even a big truck rumbling by and the home built shelf over my TV just collapsed, the wall bolts pulled out from the weight. The shelf plunged behind the TV pushing it forward at a 45 degree angle. Sitting on the floor in front of the TV was my Captain America PF and my Darth Maul PF. On the shelf were 2 GG Harry Potter busts, GG Maleficent, GG Bubo, DCD Lynda Carter, PF Boba, PF Bride, Cinemaquette Arnold. Miraculously the Bride survived, no damage at all. Arnold lost his arm that seperates and I can't find that; Voldemort is a total loss, Wonder Woman busted her ankles, Maleficent lost her snout and castle, Bubo was fine and Boba's jetpack came off but nothing else is damaged on him (thank heaven for PVC!) But the best part is that because of the speaker in front of the TV, it didn't fall over so Cap and Maul and the TV were fine.

But I've learned my lesson - no self-home improvement...
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Would glass shelving in a curio be able to sustain earth quake vibrations as well?

That stinks! Stories like that are why I'm afraid to use wall mounted shelving.

Besides Voldemort, is there any chance of salvaging the broken pieces?

Jeez, thats terrible! I have my own homemade shelves... but I've been careful with them and they are only used for 1/6 and smaller items. I've had them for years at different locations and haven't had any issues yet **knocks on wood**

Hagrid only has scratches and such, but it's not worth paying for a repaint when I can just buy another one for $40.

Dave that's awful. I hope you can replace or fix everything back to as close to before as possible.

Sorry to hear that Dave. It's bad enouogh to worry about tornadoes, but they're only a couple of months out of the year and I can always transfer my stuff to a basement. Dunno if I could deal well with an earthquake-prone place, susceptible year round and no level of the home would be really safe.

thats sucks bad.Only good point in this is that the damage to your statues could have been much worst.Sh!!t happens !!!! :monkey4

Sorry to hear about your collapse Dave. Thanks for the warning about the shelves, its something I've considered before, but now I know to stay away from it.

Dave did you drill the brackets directly into the studs?.. I can hardly budge the shelves I built...I would never trust a shelf installed into just drywall...

Also I never felt the quake.. Its so true how a good one could wipe out years and years of collecting.. I live in denial..

I am so sorry bud.

*hugs Dave*

Man, I feel for you. If that happened to me I would just snap!

I am surprised you could post coherent messages on the forum. I hope that those can be replaced easily. Can't imagine how much insurance in California is especially in Earthquake valley.

Really hate to hear that Dave. Can't imagine dealing with all of that at once. I went ballistic the other week when the cat perused one of my shelves and knocked over a couple LOTR helms.:monkey4:monkey4

That is awful Dave.
I wish I was there to give you a hug.
I am glad not all of your collection was trashed.

Life sucks sometimes but it is good to have friends
that care.

I didnt even notice the quake, I heard about on thur afternoon and was woriried until I head that it was early thur monring when i was home asleep.

Dave that sucks, I worry about that all the time. Will your insurance cover this?

Back