Statue Thor Strike Down - Bowen Designs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drakul

Super Freak
Reaction score
If I strike down my hammer....!

13302387985_913a7d11d3_b.jpg

Thor Strike Down 1:6 Statue - Bowen Designs

This is a fun statue. I was debating between this on and the Action Thor which I missed out on at first and was getting expensive but this one reminded me of the classic Silver Age stories with Dr. Blake.
The piece is very nice with the cape flowing up, the lightning shard... it's all very well made. The only downside (literally) is how Thor is looking down so if you display it below eye level you don't see his face but if you display it above eye level you miss out on the lightning strike details. I think this one is best at eye level or very slightly below.
After I recently got a few pieces that really didn't do much for me, the kind where once you open it you think to yourself "why did I order this??" it's nice to have a statue that is fun!

13302757904_92bc75929e_b.jpg

13302750404_369da49750_b.jpg

13302534073_d023c7f79f_b.jpg

13302375665_3b6e119d58_b.jpg

13302371725_466afa2594_b.jpg

13302521483_d6eb343533_b.jpg

Great score Drakul. I've always wanted to get into BD but there prices are nearly as much as a PF over here so it's never happened.

I love the other Thor BD did as well with the swinging hammer. I'm guessing that is the action Thor you were describing in your post. Hopefully SS rumoured Thor PF will be just as good.

Great pics Drakul! Randy always has a great feel for Thor. All of his Thor sculpts are amazing.

That's a really cool piece and great pose.

Question: Does Thor smash the head of Mjolonir on the ground or is it the handle? Or both?

Question: Does Thor smash the head of Mjolonir on the ground or is it the handle? Or both?

It's the handle. Striking the handle on the ground summons the lighting at the point of impact. He can also use the head but he usually has his arm raised and above his head when when summoning lighting that way.

I've always wondered by he strikes with the handle instead of the head part. Reminds me of when Triple H when he uses the handle to strike.

I've always wondered by he strikes with the handle instead of the head part. Reminds me of when Triple H when he uses the handle to strike.

Well, back in the Donald Blake days he would strike the bottom of his wooden cane (on the ground) and transform into Thor. The bottom of his cane actually became the bottom of his handle right after the transformation. I would think that's why they continued to use the bottom of his handle striking the ground (for lighting and transforming) in stories.

It's the handle. Striking the handle on the ground summons the lighting at the point of impact. He can also use the head but he usually has his arm raised and above his head when when summoning lighting that way.

Well, back in the Donald Blake days he would strike the bottom of his wooden cane (on the ground) and transform into Thor. The bottom of his cane actually became the bottom of his handle right after the transformation. I would think that's why they continued to use the bottom of his handle striking the ground (for lighting and transforming) in stories.

Learn something new every day, thanks! +Rep

Great score Drakul. I've always wanted to get into BD but there prices are nearly as much as a PF over here so it's never happened.

I love the other Thor BD did as well with the swinging hammer. I'm guessing that is the action Thor you were describing in your post. Hopefully SS rumoured Thor PF will be just as good.

Yes that was the one I was talking about. I saw it in a store in Paris and it looked awesome but nowadays it's pricey and I was concerned about size.
I liked the classic feel of the Strike Down and didn't want to miss out like I did on the Action. I figured I can always get it later if I rally want to since it's already expensive.

You already got all the answers you need :)

That's what I like about this piece, it's very classic.

I have this and am really looking forward to being able to display him, Action > Strike Down for me though. Still looking to get the Action though :(

I have this as well and it is a very nice statue. I agree though, that his head should be "up" a bit.

Ill buy that reasoning. Sounds pretty well thought out now that I know that:D

Ill buy that reasoning. Sounds pretty well thought out now that I know that:D

It's the only thing that makes sense to me. In Marvel's version of Thor, we are introduced to Blake and Thor in the same issue. Blake finds the cane and the first time he strikes the ground with the end of it, Thor appears. When Thor wanted to change back to Blake, he'd strike the hilt of the hammer on the ground which would summon the lightning and trigger the transformation. Since Blake has been separated from Thor (for a very long time now), it makes sense that the writers and artists use the motion as a way for Thor to summon lightning to a particular spot on the ground. It's been around since the very 1st appearance of Thor. I think it's cool that it's still in use today after all these years even though Blake is long gone.

Last edited:
the action thor is the only bowen piece i have, and probably will stay that way. it's an amazing piece and imho by far the best bowen has done. i paid $400 for it though :(

Back